Review - Monoprice MDP to HDMI w/audio.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Relznuk, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I recently purchased and received the new monoprice HDMI adapter with USB audio. I have now had the chance to fully test it and use it several times, and have made the following observations:

(1) This adapter is extremely easy to use. Just plug MDP and USB into your mac, hook up the HDMI cable to both ends, and you're ready to go, no software or drivers necessary.

(2) The video is of high quality, and unaltered by the adapter. Images are crisp and clear. Full 1080p is supported.

(3) Audio is also of high quality, although this adapter only supports stereo and not 5.1/7.1. The audio is as good or better than DVD quality, depending on the audio source.

(4) USB is not optional. This is a powered adapter with an inboard computer chip, and requires the USB to function even if you route audio some other way.

(5) This adapter gets quite warm under usage. Nothing alarming, just be aware that this happens.

(6) The build quality is very good on this. Nice snug cable connections. The cables are of respectable grade, length, thickness and durability.

In conclusion, I find that this adapter is a well-performing and high-quality substitute for the Kanex adapter with the same functionality, and at less than $40 shipped, provides substantial savings over the Kanex model. I frequently use this adapter, and have had zero negative issues with it. I highly recommend this adapter, and do bestow upon it my highest seal of approval.

Thank you, monoprice!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Does the S/PDIF output on the Macs support 5.1 or 7.1?

3. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Yes it does. You'd just need to run a seperate cable, and if you do that, you may as well get a cheaper adapter without built-in audio support.

4. drmalan macrumors newbie

Which cheaper adapter are you referring to?
    I also have the MDP-HDMI but miss 5.1 audio

5. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

This is about a specific MDP-HDMI adapter with USB audio output. It is a $40 adapter. Your adapter lacks USB audio. To get 5.1/7.1 audio, you'll need to use the built in audio-out Jack on your mac, which does support 5.1/7.1

6. bugout macrumors 6502a

I got this one from kanex. It's the digital audio version. Works like a charm.

Review from Gizmodo here

7. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

8. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk