Review my site Deta12

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by djstarrock, Jul 11, 2008.

1. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Hi, I've made this site it's mostly just a personal site I was wondering what you thought of it and is there anything I can improve? It doesn't work right in firefox 2, ie6 or camino 1.6.
    Deta12

2. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Honestly, it comes across as a little uninteresting and unprofessional, even a bit oppressive due to the color scheme.

The logo is really amateur looking with that cheesy bevel and drop-shadow. Not that either one is cheesy in and of itself, but the execution isn't successful/tasteful.

The dark text in the news column is part of what makes the color scheme overbearing. You'll notice if you take a look around the web that dark themes usually have light font colors to enhance legibility and contrast.

It's awkward that you don't really have a hierarchy of information. Both columns are about the same width, and the eye has trouble distinguishing where to look for the "meat" content.

The over-all alignment of things is poor, too. If you follow the horizontal or vertical eye-lines of the top and left edges of the logo, it doesn't match up with the top of your main box or the side of your navigation tabs. Similarly, nothing else within the main box makes smooth horizontal lines. All this, and the hap-hazard placement of the title "Home" make it seem very amateur.

EDIT: Also, the poor padding within the main box, and the news box contribute to the above.

That's not to say it's a bad concept. It's just unrefined. Keep working at the details and I'm sure you can achieve a good result.

3. djstarrock thread starter macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

4. djstarrock thread starter macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

I've taken your comments into consideration and tweaked my design.