Review My Social Networking Site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by iMacUser324, Aug 31, 2008.

1. iMacUser324 macrumors regular

iMacUser324

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

First off, just to get it out of the way your site did not validate - be sure to to do so and fix the 31 HTML errors, most major such as missing DOC Type, unclosed tags, etc.

Beyond that, I have always been a fan of black/white/gray (grayscale) layouts - simple, elegant, easy to navigate and pleasing to the eye. You did a great job placing elements where they should be, such as the search form at the top, login near the top, news at the top, simple section/well layout with well defined buckets and graphically pleasing elements. It allows the content, such as user avatars and news elements to draw the attention of the eye with the contrasting colors.

However, with that said about your palette choice - it's, well, how to put this without seeming too negative:

BORING.

What I mean is, it's a social networking site, it's OKAY to introduce a little more color for contrasting purposes - maybe some blue or red for the small icons, maybe a little more color in your logo (just a little), a color change in the menu mouseovers, or something. Just a little, not a lot. The avatars are exciting in color usually, so draw on that and add a touch of color so the content palette compliments (not match) the layout palette.

Also, if the context of the site is PS3 based - you need to spell out the mission statement, purpose of the site, right on the home page at the very top possibly. What kind of social network is it -- tell your users.

Minor stuff:

• Make the search "Go" button the same height as the input field to its left
    • Force the focus on your email form field (login) so users can start typing
    • The footer needs to be more defined, include copyright info, privacy policy and hyperlink policy, etc. and maybe a "contact us" link.
    Good to see you've got plenty of interested people so far, so you're clearly doing something right, don't take my advice as the end all of things.

-jim