Review my SSD install plan? (Suggestions, guidance)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by townsend2005, Feb 11, 2013.

1. townsend2005, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

townsend2005 macrumors newbie

Goal: Install SSD in optibay

Conditions: 10.6.8, File Vault User Account
    I have a MBP 13" Early 2011.
    160 GB SSD: Intel x25-m G2, Latest Firmware, accord to Intel website

I know there are a million threads about different variations of this, but I wanted to get suggestions for how to make the above configuration work. I'm especially curious about FILE VAULT, since I haven't come across too many threads about it. I don't know how easily it moves about to new drives. (is it just treated as a password protected file folder?)

I'd like to end up with this final config:
    160 GB SSD - 10.6.8, FileVault User Account, Users Folder here
    320 GB HDD - Bootcamp Win7 and Big Media Files
    No Sym linking. Reminds me too much of registry hacking, I want to keep this simple. Will I want to?
    Will use Groths' TrimEnabler

This is the process I'm considering using:
    -Identify "Big Media Files" with Disk Inventory X, and move to Storage-HDD and Storage-HDD backup.

-Backup entire current system (10.6 w/ filevault) to TimeMachine-HDD, minus the Big Media Files

-Physically install SSD to optibay w/ caddy.

-Fresh Install OSX 10.6 to SSD, using external DVD drive.
    ***OR*** Can I / Should I install OSX to the SSD on an external HDD dock, in order to test, first? Are there potential drawbacks to installing over a USB bus vs SATA? (It feels a little sketchy to me..)

-Use migration assistant to import files/settings from TimeMachine-HDD.
    (I'm not going to use CCC, want to install and migrate)

-Test SSD booting, functionality

-Wipe Internal-HDD, and partition for Bootcamp and OSX for Big Files

-Move Big Media Files back from Storage-HDD to Internall-HDD

Thoughts:
    I'd like to keep the User Folder on the SSD, since this is where most of the applications will be accessing the Library subfolder, right? And I will simply have to redirect applications to my Internal-HDD for the larger (media) files.

As far as I know, most of the kinks have been worked out of TrimEnable for 10.6.8?
    The Firmware on my 32nm x25-m G2 is updated and allows TRIM.

Thank you very much for reading this long email. How does this sound?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Sounds and looks good to me but why 10.6?

You may want to check the thread in my sig to maximize your SSD experience. The, Tweak SSD Guide.

3. townsend2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

10.6.8 works for me. I have a lot of audio apps and they are happy. No reason to fix it if it ain't baroque. I still run WinXP on my video machine. A stable and known quantity!

Can I install OSX 10.6 to the SSD and migrate, while it is in an external USB dock?

4. townsend2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

And does anybody know if FileVault needs special treatment, or is it just another folder?

5. BeeJee macrumors 6502

If you want to make a clone of your existing HDD I would install the SSD in the computer then put the HDD into your dock. After this you hold command option at boot up and select your HDD. Now you can clone the whole drive from the external to your SSD with Carbon Copy Cloner and after its finished select the SSD as your new boot up then restart.

I use FileVault 2 but I didn't need to do anything special

EDIT: Actually if I recall correctly, the cloned SSD wont be automatically encrypted. You have to go back and turn FileVault back on. It took like 20 minutes to encrypt the whole SSD