Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nanoleaf is known for its smart lighting panels, but this year the company launched a set of $99 Smart Holiday String Lights that are compatible with Matter and thus HomeKit. Matter devices connect to HomeKit in the same way that traditional HomeKit devices do, but you will need a Matter-compatible smart home hub. For the HomeKit ecosystem, this is anything that serves as a HomeKit "home hub," such as an Apple TV or HomePod.

nanoleaf-holiday-lights-1.jpg

Priced at $99 for a 20-meter (65 ft) light strand with 250 LEDs, the Nanoleaf Holiday String Lights are priced competitively. They're more affordable than similar smart string lights from Philips Hue or Twinkly, though Twinkly is often around the same price if you find them on sale. A 65-foot light strand is about the right size for a 7-foot tree, though it won't be the most dense lighting. For a more even look, two light strands of this length are required for most trees around that size.

There are two connected 10-meter strands with 125 LEDs each (which is also how Twinkly works). According to Nanoleaf, the dual strand design is ideal for use with trees. Starting at the middle of the tree, one strand can be wrapped up toward the top, while the second can be wrapped down toward the bottom. It is not possible to connect two sets of the string lights together, however, and each needs its own power supply if you're using multiples.

nanoleaf-string-lights-design.jpg

The Nanoleaf lights look a lot like the Twinkly lights in terms of design, with a flat-topped LED that has rounded sides. There's about three inches of space between each LED, and the cord is black with no other color options available. Black stands out more than green on a Christmas tree, so it would be nice to have a green cord option. Twinkly makes some clear cord string lights, and I think that's a good way to go because it's able to better blend into the surroundings.

Unlike Twinkly lights, you cannot control each individual LED, and instead these are set to different color palettes and patterns like the Hue String Lights. The Nanoleaf lights actually feel like a cross between Hue and Twinkly because they're not quite as customizable as Twinkly, but offer more patterns than Hue. 16 million colors are supported on the Nanoleaf lights, as well as multiple shades of white. The Nanoleaf app has pre-designed color palettes that you can choose in addition to the tools to create your own.

nanoleaf-lights-multicolored.jpg

There's also a community feature with Nanoleaf so you can download lighting animations and color palettes created by others, giving you a lot of options for design without having to put in a lot of work. Nanoleaf's community feature has long been one of my favorite Nanoleaf features because it provides so many options with just a quick search.

The Nanoleaf String Light's colors are vibrant and bright and remind me a lot of Twinkly in terms of saturation and lighting patterns. Compared to Hue, Nanoleaf is brighter, and I don't feel that Nanoleaf's lights do gradients quite as well. The Hue holiday lights have the best color fades and pre-made patterns, and Nanoleaf can't compete there.

nanoleaf-lights-blue.jpg

The best way to control the lights is through the Nanoleaf app, but once you establish lighting scenes, you can activate them through the Home app or Siri voice commands. The Home app can be used to control the Nanoleaf String Lights directly, but it's not really set up for individual LED control so it only works for turning the entire strand a single shade.

nanoleaf-string-lights-in-pink.jpg

While these do connect to HomeKit (and other Matter-enabled smart home platforms), you can use them with the Nanoleaf app alone over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. With the included controller, the lights can be synced to music that is playing. There is a physical button on the light strand for turning them on and off and cycling through white shades, colors, and Scenes that have been set up.

nanoleaf-lights-pink.jpg

According to Nanoleaf, the lights are 250 lumens, and the strand draws 18W of power. With the light strand on for 12 hours a day and an electricity cost of 13 cents per kilowatt hour, it would cost around $10 a year to run these lights.

These have an IP44 water/dust resistance rating, so they can be used indoors or outdoors and will be able to stand up to rain, but may not be able to hold up in particularly harsh weather like a downpour. Nanoleaf says they can be used in temperatures ranging from 5 degrees to 104 degrees.

nanoleaf-lights-white.jpg

As a HomeKit device, automations and schedules can be used to turn the lights on and off at set times or to change patterns based on sensors, times, or with geofencing.

During my time testing the lights, I did not run into issues with connectivity. Matter can be a little finicky right now, which is something to be aware of. In the past I have run into connectivity issues with non-Matter Nanoleaf products, but most of the time the solution has been removing and re-adding to HomeKit.

nanoleaf-lights-green.jpg

Nanoleaf's Matter-enabled String Lights are the most affordable string lights that connect to HomeKit that I'm aware of. At $99, they're cheaper than the Hue or Twinkly versions that have the same 250-LED count.

Bottom Line

Nanoleaf's Matter-enabled Smart Holiday String Lights are a good deal comparatively, and they offer a lot of fun options for holiday decorating. These are quite not as customizable as Twinkly lights (which you can paint on using the app), but Nanoleaf has a better selection of pre-made scenes and color palettes to choose from.

The Nanoleaf app is a lot more user friendly and intuitive than the Twinkly app, which is my least favorite smart home product app. If you're someone who wants to hop onto an app, find a set of cool colors, and be done in about 30 seconds, Nanoleaf's string lights will facilitate that.

You can use these in tandem with other H... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Review: Nanoleaf's $99 Matter-Enabled String Lights Are an Affordable Holiday Option

Last edited:

spcgry

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2020
Edmonton, AB, Canada
nanoleaf has horrific customer support
Couldn’t agree more. They left me and my support ticket hanging when I told them my essential light bulbs were starting to show signs of hardware failure (flickering, can't be remotely controlled on either their app or through the Home app on iOS/iPadOS). Basically, they abandoned the idea of replacing those light bulbs even when they were still covered by warranty (or lack thereof). I will never buy their products again.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Not being able to extend the lights even though it is only 18W each? Is there the ability to replace individual bulbs when they go out, because you know they will? Definitely don't recommend putting IP44 products outside. Why are they flat tipped, instead of like traditional lights? My IP44 smart switch already died after a few months of weather.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
nanoleaf has horrific customer support
This is 100 per cent correct.

I do like their bulbs and light strips but getting support for any issue is a nightmare.

The Christmas lights look way too much like Twinkly's which I got my wife last Christmas and she and the kids love it.

Not sure what issue you have with the Twinkly app MR, works fine for us!

Reactions: freediverx00

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
I tried the version from 2 years ago and returned them immediately.

I liked the app and the ability to change from warm white to coloured pattern (my wife and I grew up with different trees).

Unfortunately the 'bulb' was only half-frosted, transparent at the base, so they looked SUPER harsh from certain angles.

These look to be frosted all the way down the plastic bulb, which makes me interested again!

Reactions: freediverx00

taylormades

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2020
These lights get hot. I mean, leave them on overnight and the inline black controller box will instantly sting your skin kind of hot! If they're used indoors, as I am using them, I'm keeping that control box from being in contact with any material for obvious fears of fire.
Aside from that, there are great scenes/light sequences that outperform anything else I've seen. Better still, having the lights flicker to the rhythm of your music is quite simply cool.

freediverx00

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
... or skip a few visits to restaurants, delay upgrading our Apple device one year, etc, etc.

We all deserve our little luxuries. We get to choose which luxuries make us happy.
I will happily pay a premium for a premium product. This one doesn't seem remotely worth the price, and judging from the comments, the company behind it doesn't treat its customers vey well.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I pre-ordered two sets of these lights, and unfortunately, they both died. To be fair, Nanoleaf is refunding my money.

The first set died after less than an hour of me hanging them on our tree. The second set died a few days later.

Regarding customer service: I'm disappointed the lights did fail, and it took some following up to get my refund. In their defense, however, Nanoleaf upgrade their ticket/support system this month (they're now using Zendesk). While their old support system is not an excuse for poor customer service, this does indicate they realized they had a problem and are taking steps to improve. And I will say, my follow up in December (after the second set failed) got a much faster response than my original messages in November.

So, while I can't recommend the string lights based on my experience, at least Nanoleaf support may be better today than in the past.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Nanoleaf makes garbage lighting products and their customer service is really bad. I have used 10 units (and 3-4 replacements they sent me in warranty) from Canvas to Squares to Bulbs and all of them have died within 2 years. I would steer clear of anything they make.

Reactions: japanime

zlt1228

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
Their A19 lightbulbs (Matter Version) are riddled with bugs. I doubt they fine tuned it for this one.

Reactions: TVreporter

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Their A19 lightbulbs (Matter Version) are riddled with bugs. I doubt they fine tuned it for this one.
Right now I'm having some issues with Matter anything, Nanoleaf or not. Definitely a compromise right now to get the affordability of Matter accessories.

AeroEd

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2023
... or skip a few visits to restaurants, delay upgrading our Apple device one year, etc, etc.

We all deserve our little luxuries. We get to choose which luxuries make us happy.
Or go out to restaurants but hold off on tipping. Kill two birds with one stone. End the tipping culture and save money for nanoleaf lights.

fer0n

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2023
I’m using the tinkly ones as my regular light, there’s two issues I’m having with them and I’m curious if the nanoleaf one is better there:
- I wish they were brighter
- The neutral color options can only be set in the app, not inside the iOS control center (only colors there, the app has a dedicated warm/cold white slider which can’t be achieved outside of the app)

Does anyone know if either of these is different?

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Couldn’t agree more. They left me and my support ticket hanging when I told them my essential light bulbs were starting to show signs of hardware failure (flickering, can't be remotely controlled on either their app or through the Home app on iOS/iPadOS). Basically, they abandoned the idea of replacing those light bulbs even when they were still covered by warranty (or lack thereof). I will never buy their products again.
Thank you for highlighting this. This kind of stuff simply puts me off from buying anything from a company that treats its customers like garbage.

While they are a little slow, Philips are however spot on and the two bulbs that have died on me (I have over 100), were replaced at no additional cost. It just took about a month for them to arrive, which is no big deal in my book.

Companies need to realise you don't just purchase a product. You also purchase the support that comes with it. The best company I've ever dealt with for example is Wahoo. Phenomenal support. They replace all sorts of spare parts, even well out of "warranty". There are no quibbles; They just try and resolve the issue and the moment they realise it's hardware related, a spare or replacement is sent out at no cost. They are brilliant and its because of this, I only ever buy their products for my cycle training gear. (I even bought a Kickr Climb second hand, which failed, and they sent me an entirely new replacement unit. I even told them I bought it second hand, and they said that was fine as it was registered by me within 2 years of it being purchased). How can you argue with that!?!?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.