Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nanoleaf, the company behind the HomeKit-enabled Aurora smart modular lighting system, recently introduced a $49 accessory that allows the Aurora lights to respond to music, adding a whole new sound-based dimension to an already great product.

Called the Nanoleaf Aurora Rhythm, the add-on module is a small three-triangle accessory that snaps right in to an existing Nanoleaf setup using the same plastic connector tabs that connect the Aurora lights together.

aurorarrhythmunboxed-800x496.jpg

It can be plugged in to any of the triangle-shaped lights in an Aurora setup, because all of them are able to provide power to the accessory. Setting up the Rhythm is as simple as attaching it to an Aurora setup -- there are no other steps involved.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Nanoleaf's Fun $49 'Rhythm' Add-On Lets Your Aurora Light Setup Respond to Music

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Can it set up so that the sound determines the color? The bass beats pulse red or cause red themed effects while the treble leans more to greens, and then the middle tones flash the yellows and oranges in between? Because in those example videos, it’s easy enough to see how the different patterns work, but they all just seem rainbowy to me.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Can it set up so that the sound determines the color? The bass beats pulse red or cause red themed effects while the treble leans more to greens, and then the middle tones flash the yellows and oranges in between? Because in those example videos, it’s easy enough to see how the different patterns work, but they all just seem rainbowy to me.

You can choose the colors so it's only showing a certain range of colors, but you can't assign them by tone, no. There are more subtle effects with just a few colors, more similar to the blue/green photo I have above. Basically any mix of colors works.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
When I got the Rhythm module in I thought it was "killing" my wifi too. After playing around with it a little bit a found out it was only affecting my router's 5GHz connection and not my 2.4GHz connection. Not until I connected my iPhone to my 2.4GHZ wifi to set up the Rhythm through the Nanoleaf app did my 5GHz wifi start working again.

Btw, I figured this out after I had already reset my router to "factory default" settings and try to reconfigure the router first (facepalm).

Just letting people know that the issue with wifi fixes itself once the Rhythm is properly set up... if you even have the issue in the first place.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
When I got the Rhythm module in I thought it was "killing" my wifi too. After playing around with it a little bit a found out it was only affecting my router's 5GHz connection and not my 2.4GHz connection. Not until I connected my iPhone to my 2.4GHZ wifi to set up the Rhythm through the Nanoleaf app did my 5GHz wifi start working again.

Btw, I figured this out after I had already reset my router to "factory default" settings and try to reconfigure the router first (facepalm).

Just letting people know that the issue with wifi fixes itself once the Rhythm is properly set up... if you even have the issue in the first place.

Yes, this is exactly the problem that I had. It killed the 5GHz network. Problem is my WiFi didn't start working again after setup. No issues with the second one though.
[doublepost=1506719070][/doublepost]
Look nice when turned on, but when turned off it's cheap white plastic on your wall.

It's not too bad. But mine's on a lot of the time. No real reason these can't be running at different settings all the time. Dimmed for a nightlight, brighter in the daytime, etc.

Reactions: f1restarter

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Lots of Hue competition starting to appear.
I don't consider these Aurora things to be a competition to Hue, which is a true professional lighting system. Aurora lights are a gimmick akin to strings of indoor Christmas lights that people leave hanging year-round. They look hideous on the wall during the daytime.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
I've got the starter with the nine tiles, and they're a lotta fun. I didn't buy it to be a comprehensive lighting solution, and I'm not going to ding it for not being the comprehensive lighting solution they weren't meant to be. What they are is mesmerizing and flexible.

Giantscruz

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2013
Yay Area
I'm pretty deep into hue, but would also enjoy something like this. I've been looking at them for a minute, but have some questions:
1: I want to put them in the corner of my living room. Would that be possible? Its slightly more than a 90 degree angle.
2: Can I tell Siri to turn them on?

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
I'm pretty deep into hue, but would also enjoy something like this. I've been looking at them for a minute, but have some questions:
1: I want to put them in the corner of my living room. Would that be possible? Its slightly more than a 90 degree angle.
2: Can I tell Siri to turn them on?
1. Nanoleaf sells “flex linkers” on their website to mount the Aurora panels around corners.
2. Completely HomeKit and Siri enabled. I have Hue bulbs myself, and I’m able to control my Hue bulbs and Aurora panels simultaneously. You can also use Siri/HomeKit to control different scenes you create for the Aurora in the Nanoleaf iOS app

Giantscruz

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2013
Yay Area
1. Nanoleaf sells “flex linkers” on their website to mount the Aurora panels around corners.
2. Completely HomeKit and Siri enabled. I have Hue bulbs myself, and I’m able to control my Hue bulbs and Aurora panels simultaneously. You can also use Siri/HomeKit to control different scenes you create for the Aurora in the Nanoleaf iOS app

Excellent. Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.