Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Nanoleaf Skylight Smarter Kit is Nanoleaf's first hardwired, permanent light, and it's also the first light that Nanoleaf designed specifically to be installed on ceilings.

nanoleaf-skylight.jpg

As with Nanoleaf Light Panels, the Skylight is modular. A 3-panel starter kit is priced at $250, and each add-on panel is $70. Nanoleaf sells kits with more panels at a discount, so cost can go as low as $62 per panel for a design that uses 12 panels.

Ceiling lights come in a wide range of prices and $250 is in the mid to high range, but there aren't many modular ceiling light options (as in hardwired with no visible cord), and none that I'm aware of that are both smart and offer multicolor and white lighting. Each square-shaped panel is made from a translucent white plastic that diffuses the light coming from the LEDs underneath.

nanoleaf-light-panels-components.jpg

The panels are just under 12 inches on each side, and they're about two inches thick. The plastic is a shinier material than the plastic used for the regular Nanoleaf Light Panels, and it just looks like white squares on the ceiling when the lights are not turned on. I don't mind the plastic because it blends well with a white ceiling when the lights are off. Square-shaped light panels have a modern vibe both on and off, and it isn't an aesthetic that's going to fit in with all decor styles.

nanoleaf-light-panels-ff.jpg

Every panel is 1400 lumens, so the three panel kit is 4200 lumens. The amount of light needed to properly light a space is going to depend on the size of the area being lit and the desired brightness, but that should be enough light for a 15x15 room with 10 foot ceilings. I was impressed with the brightness of the Skylight panels, and three installed in my laundry room was more light than I'll ever need. I ultimately included two more panels for a total of five, but that was because I was replacing a fluorescent panel with popcorn texture underneath and I didn't want to have to repair the ceiling. I think my laundry room is now the brightest room in the house, and I use the lights dimmed down.

nanoleaf-skylight-bright.jpg

The Skylight can be installed by an electrician or as a DIY project with some basic electrical knowledge, and Nanoleaf does provide instructions and a video for completing the entire process. Creating a layout is the first step, and while the lights can be installed at angles and staggered, I did a straight line of five panels in a row. There's a ceiling plate that's screwed into the ceiling first, and the wires from the ceiling are connected to the main panel (with the breaker off of course). The panels are each two pieces, with a base that houses the LEDs and wires, and a cover.

nanoleaf-skylight-pastels.jpg

There's a single Main Controller panel that can control up to 99 additional dependent panels, and that's the one that goes up first. Nanoleaf included four screw holes on each panel that also serve as guides so you can mark on the ceiling where to drill, and drywall anchors and screws are included.

Every panel has a terminal block that's covered by a panel that has to be unscrewed to get to the wires to connect one panel to another, and each panel is secured at all four corners, plus the wires are routed through holes at the sides. It's not difficult, exactly, but there are a lot of steps to go through, and it's frustrating working from below. I do think the guide holes helped a lot ensuring everything was lined up, and it ultimately turned out well.

I think four drywall screws for every panel is a lot, especially because these panels aren't particularly heavy. In hindsight, I probably could have used two at a diagonal, and it's worth noting that there are going to be a lot of holes to repair in the ceiling if you install these panels and later want to remove them.

nanoleaf-skylight-pinks.jpg

Once installed, the Skylight works like any other HomeKit-connected light. It's added to HomeKit with a HomeKit code, and setup is quick. Nanoleaf products only work with 2.4GHz networks, so you're going to need a setup that allows for a 2.4GHz connection. The Skylight is Wi-Fi only, but there it has Thread compatibility that can presumably be turned on if Nanoleaf decides to do so. It is not Matter-enabled.

I don't own a single smart home product that does not occasionally have a connectivity issue, including Nanoleaf devices. When I got these panels, I debated installing the panels in my living room with vaulted ceilings (note: these can be installed on angled ceilings), but I was worried about access for troubleshooting because I'd need a tall, heavy ladder, so I tested the Skylight in one of my only rooms with lower ceilings.

nanoleaf-skylight-blues.jpg

I'm glad I did, because about a week after the Skylight was up, it lost connectivity. No amount of turning the power off or restarting my devices helped, and I had to get out a small ladder, pull off the main panel's cover, and long press the reset button to start over. I haven't had another disconnect, and it could have been caused by trying to use a motion sensor (I could NOT get it to work reliably and I haven't wanted to try again) or by turning the light off at the switch overnight, but it can happen.

So far the Skylight doesn't seem to be less reliable than other Wi-Fi HomeKit devices or other Nanoleaf panels, but since it's on the ceiling it is decidedly more of a hassle to reset, which is something to keep in mind. I have also seen some complaints about Nanoleaf's customer service on Reddit and on Facebook, and while I haven't had a catastrophic product failure requiring help, I know some people have had issues getting support and replacements. Note that those complaints are more focused on the light panels than the Skylights, but I don't want to ignore potential customer service issues that could be a problem for some.

nanoleaf-skylight-brights.jpg

Each Skylight panel can be individually controlled with the Nanoleaf... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Review: Nanoleaf's Skylight Adds Modular Smart Lighting to Your Ceiling

• Haha
Reactions: Steve121178

hieranonymous

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2023
I hope they’ve improved the durability of the little WiFi/controller module. Every Nanoleaf product I own has had that component warranty-replaced at least once, and sometimes twice. They just randomly fail from time to time. It’s inconvenient enough for their products that are mounted using 3M adhesive squares, but for a permanent fixture it would be extra irritating.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I hope they’ve improved the durability of the little WiFi/controller module. Every Nanoleaf product I own has had that component warranty-replaced at least once, and sometimes twice. They just randomly fail from time to time. It’s inconvenient enough for their products that are mounted using 3M adhesive squares, but for a permanent fixture it would be extra irritating.
My Nanoleaf stuff is pretty solid, except for a couple of annoying 'device is updating' messages I get. One that required a reset. I have had zero problems with my Meross stuff though. 1/4 price and easily as good.

Reactions: hieranonymous

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Bought and own the original Nanoleaf panels. This company has steadily gone downhill. Software updates have broken the product over time. And now that it isn’t made anymore, support is nonexistent. I love colourful lighting. There are better options. And most of their stuff is pretty tacky. Get some regular colour lightbulbs to achieve a better look.

Reactions: miq

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
It's so ironic to me. As technology advances and lighting (and 'smart' lighting) is taking off and seemingly everywhere, we are actually going backwards in the quality of lighting that is currently available today. These particular lights look like they give off cold, ugly, and unflattering light - like old school fluorescent lighting. Maybe the colors would be cool in certain settings.

But, thanks to corporate greed, instead of putting more money behind making efficient halogen lighting (to get to the magical green wattage) to make them even more efficient, lighting corporations (GE, Philips, et al), decided to go the cheap route and just produce ugly, dingy, and just downright depressing LED lighting.

While LEDs have come a long way from the CFL days, it's still absolute trash compared to halogen and other incandescent lighting. I personally stock-piled as many various bulbs that I currently use throughout my home, so I should be good for a while, but unless there is some sort of major advancement in LED lighting technology, we have a poorly lit future ahead of us.

I know, many people would never notice or even care about this, but for those of use who know that lighting is pretty much everything when it comes to home style, decor, vibe and atmosphere, not to mention photography, it's a big deal.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The Nanoleaf Skylight Smarter Kit is Nanoleaf's first hardwired, permanent light, and it's also the first light that Nanoleaf designed specifically to be installed on ceilings.

nanoleaf-skylight.jpg

As with Nanoleaf Light Panels, the Skylight is modular. A 3-panel starter kit is priced at $250, and each add-on panel is $70. Nanoleaf sells kits with more panels at a discount, so cost can go as low as $62 per panel for a design that uses 12 panels.

Ceiling lights come in a wide range of prices and $250 is in the mid to high range, but there aren't many modular ceiling light options (as in hardwired with no visible cord), and none that I'm aware of that are both smart and offer multicolor and white lighting. Each square-shaped panel is made from a translucent white plastic that diffuses the light coming from the LEDs underneath.

nanoleaf-light-panels-components.jpg

The panels are just under 12 inches on each side, and they're about two inches thick. The plastic is a shinier material than the plastic used for the regular Nanoleaf Light Panels, and it just looks like white squares on the ceiling when the lights are not turned on. I don't mind the plastic because it blends well with a white ceiling when the lights are off. Square-shaped light panels have a modern vibe both on and off, and it isn't an aesthetic that's going to fit in with all decor styles.

nanoleaf-light-panels-ff.jpg

Every panel is 1400 lumens, so the three panel kit is 4200 lumens. The amount of light needed to properly light a space is going to depend on the size of the area being lit and the desired brightness, but that should be enough light for a 15x15 room with 10 foot ceilings. I was impressed with the brightness of the Skylight panels, and three installed in my laundry room was more light than I'll ever need. I ultimately included two more panels for a total of five, but that was because I was replacing a fluorescent panel with popcorn texture underneath and I didn't want to have to repair the ceiling. I think my laundry room is now the brightest room in the house, and I use the lights dimmed down.

nanoleaf-skylight-bright.jpg

The Skylight can be installed by an electrician or as a DIY project with some basic electrical knowledge, and Nanoleaf does provide instructions and a video for completing the entire process. Creating a layout is the first step, and while the lights can be installed at angles and staggered, I did a straight line of five panels in a row. There's a ceiling plate that's screwed into the ceiling first, and the wires from the ceiling are connected to the main panel (with the breaker off of course). The panels are each two pieces, with a base that houses the LEDs and wires, and a cover.

nanoleaf-skylight-pastels.jpg

There's a single Main Controller panel that can control up to 99 additional dependent panels, and that's the one that goes up first. Nanoleaf included four screw holes on each panel that also serve as guides so you can mark on the ceiling where to drill, and drywall anchors and screws are included.

Every panel has a terminal block that's covered by a panel that has to be unscrewed to get to the wires to connect one panel to another, and each panel is secured at all four corners, plus the wires are routed through holes at the sides. It's not difficult, exactly, but there are a lot of steps to go through, and it's frustrating working from below. I do think the guide holes helped a lot ensuring everything was lined up, and it ultimately turned out well.

I think four drywall screws for every panel is a lot, especially because these panels aren't particularly heavy. In hindsight, I probably could have used two at a diagonal, and it's worth noting that there are going to be a lot of holes to repair in the ceiling if you install these panels and later want to remove them.

nanoleaf-skylight-pinks.jpg

Once installed, the Skylight works like any other HomeKit-connected light. It's added to HomeKit with a HomeKit code, and setup is quick. Nanoleaf products only work with 2.4GHz networks, so you're going to need a setup that allows for a 2.4GHz connection. The Skylight is Wi-Fi only, but there it has Thread compatibility that can presumably be turned on if Nanoleaf decides to do so. It is not Matter-enabled.

I don't own a single smart home product that does not occasionally have a connectivity issue, including Nanoleaf devices. When I got these panels, I debated installing the panels in my living room with vaulted ceilings (note: these can be installed on angled ceilings), but I was worried about access for troubleshooting because I'd need a tall, heavy ladder, so I tested the Skylight in one of my only rooms with lower ceilings.

nanoleaf-skylight-blues.jpg

I'm glad I did, because about a week after the Skylight was up, it lost connectivity. No amount of turning the power off or restarting my devices helped, and I had to get out a small ladder, pull off the main panel's cover, and long press the reset button to start over. I haven't had another disconnect, and it could have been caused by trying to use a motion sensor (I could NOT get it to work reliably and I haven't wanted to try again) or by turning the light off at the switch overnight, but it can happen.

So far the Skylight doesn't seem to be less reliable than other Wi-Fi HomeKit devices or other Nanoleaf panels, but since it's on the ceiling it is decidedly more of a hassle to reset, which is something to keep in mind. I have also seen some complaints about Nanoleaf's customer service on Reddit and on Facebook, and while I haven't had a catastrophic product failure requiring help, I know some people have had issues getting support and replacements. Note that those complaints are more focused on the light panels than the Skylights, but I don't want to ignore potential customer service issues that could be a problem for some.

nanoleaf-skylight-brights.jpg

Each Skylight panel can be individually controlled with the Nanoleaf... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Review: Nanoleaf's Skylight Adds Modular Smart Lighting to Your Ceiling

The illumination looks to be not very even. It is easy to see why in the photos where the cover is off.

Also, with no support for Matter your options for controlling it are limited. Nanoleaf need to support Matter.

Why on Earth is the reset a button inside the light? Nanoleaf sells light bulbs that can be reset buy doing something like 8 or 10 fast cycles with the AC power switch. So there is no need for a ledder. They can do that in a $10 light, why not these?

Thread would be nice too. The trouble with WiFi is that when WiFi goes down, =all you lights and switches stop working. You can of course buy a 2.5Ghz WiFi router and use it ONLY for the lights but Thread is the way to go.

I am planning a kitchen remodel, All the drywall is coming off and I can rewire and change plumbing. I'm activly looking for lights. Today Philips Hue is BY FAR the best liting you can buy. I had hpeed I could find some pannels like these that were good. But it is going to be 6 inch "cans" with Hue LED light inside. They are $70 each and I'll need 8 or 9 or them

BTW, The Nanoleaf "essentials" A19 light bulbs seem to work and they are Matter over Thread. The Thread network is solid and with Matter, I can connect them to multiple ecosystem at the same time.

Reactions: miq and 153957

StevoTheMacDude

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2021
It's so ironic to me. As technology advances and lighting (and 'smart' lighting) is taking off and seemingly everywhere, we are actually going backwards in the quality of lighting that is currently available today. These particular lights look like they give off cold, ugly, and unflattering light - like old school fluorescent lighting. Maybe the colors would be cool in certain settings.

But, thanks to corporate greed, instead of putting more money behind making efficient halogen lighting (to get to the magical green wattage) to make them even more efficient, lighting corporations (GE, Philips, et al), decided to go the cheap route and just produce ugly, dingy, and just downright depressing LED lighting.

While LEDs have come a long way from the CFL days, it's still absolute trash compared to halogen and other incandescent lighting. I personally stock-piled as many various bulbs that I currently use throughout my home, so I should be good for a while, but unless there is some sort of major advancement in LED lighting technology, we have a poorly lit future ahead of us.

I know, many people would never notice or even care about this, but for those of use who know that lighting is pretty much everything when it comes to home style, decor, vibe and atmosphere, not to mention photography, it's a big deal.
I couldn’t agree more. Halogen bulbs are the most beautiful natural light there is. My home decor is stunning as a result of it. My house came with architectural LEDs. I ripped out everyone and replaced it with halogens. My house looks like a museum because the lighting is so beautiful.

The reason corporations are investing in LED and not halogen is because there is now a national law that prohibits the manufacture of incandescent bulbs going forward. I too have stocked up on halogens

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006

It is not "corporate greed" it is just plain physics that forced us away from incandescent lighting. There is just no way to use resistive heating to produce light without also producing heat. That heat is "wasted energy". To technology can create an 8-watt halogen bulb that is bright enough.

It is the same with gasoline cars. It is theoretically impossible to make an internal combustion engine that blows cold air out the tailpipe. If the exaust is warm, then you are wasting energy. Cars waste about 80% of the energy that is in the fuel and there is not much that can be done, even in theory.

Technology can never do what is not allowed by the laws of nature.

What you say is true about cheap LEDs. The light they produce is not very good. Spend some money and they are very nice.

What many people do is buy based on price and then assume all of them are like the worst ones. As an experiment go buy a Philips Hue "White Ambiance" 1200 lumen light bulb. These can go from about 2,300K to almost about 7K and the CRI seems to be good. But they are about $20 each and don't do RGB color. if you want color they are about $50 each.

I have about a dozen of the Philips Hue lights right now. By default, they are set to run at about 70% brightness and match the Sun's color temperature based on the time of day but I can tap a dimmer switch and bring them up to a very bright and very white color that is best when cleaning the room or doing other work but not good at dinner time.

Finally, I do not understand the comment about "LEDs in the CFL days. CFLs are not based on LEDs, they are flourecent. Today the light quality can be anything your budget allows

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
A lot of this comes down to Apple. If they opened up HomeKit, they’d have a much bigger pot of smart devices to create more competition. HomeKit and Shortcuts are fantastic, but I want to be able to have access to all the products out there. And Matter is crap, and Homebridge etc is clunky.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Thread would be nice too. The trouble with WiFi is that when WiFi goes down, =all you lights and switches stop working. You can of course buy a 2.5Ghz WiFi router and use it ONLY for the lights but Thread is the way to go.
What happens when your Thread Border Router goes down (which for most people is also going to be accessible over Wi-Fi)? While Thread is a nice protocol, I don't think this problem is unique to Wi-Fi -- and it's probably rare for most people anyway. (Most of the time when someone says their "Wi-Fi" is down it's really their Internet connection, not their Wi-Fi network per se, which should not affect this particular product given that, like Thread, it works locally.)

Matter support would be great, though -- regardless of what "physical" layer it uses (Wi-Fi, Thread, etc.) -- so it could be integrated with other systems.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
What happens when your Thread Border Router goes down (which for most people is also going to be accessible over Wi-Fi)? While Thread is a nice protocol, I don't think this problem is unique to Wi-Fi -- and it's probably rare for most people anyway. (Most of the time when someone says their "Wi-Fi" is down it's really their Internet connection, not their Wi-Fi network per se, which should not affect this particular product given that, like Thread, it works locally.)

Matter support would be great, though -- regardless of what "physical" layer it uses (Wi-Fi, Thread, etc.) -- so it could be integrated with other systems.
I guess considering the main reason to get a Nanoleaf (At least to me) is HomeKit, the iPhone will control the devices directly through thread without wifi.

I wish Matter to be great. It’s seems to be a great way to make devices break more often.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006

Thread networks can have any number of border routers, mine has three routers, A HomePod, and two Apple TVs. The cost is coming down. All you really need to make a border router is a $2 Silicon Labs chip. You can buy a USB dongle with one of these chips for $30. I'd buy one but then I'd have two separate Thread networks. It is still "early days" for Thread and Matter. It will take 10 years to mature.

But, not putting Matter into a new product when the company obviously has the technical ability is very disappointing. The uneven illumination is worse. Would it have been harder to put the LEDs in a pseudorandom pattern? They placed them. in a circle, how dumb.

It seems like they were rushed to market or they made stupid cuts to lower the cost by 2%.

I'll be staying with Luron and Philips Hue. Although I did just buy a whole case of Shelly "minis" as an experiment. So far I am REALLY impressed with these $10 boxes.

My other experiment is to get a separate 2.5GHz only WiFi that is not used for internet service and ONLY for smart home products.

(You might gues, I'm installing these in client's homes and need 200% reliability. So triple redundant routers on Ethernet with UPS battery backup and so on and so on and only after I've used them for a year in my own home.)

Lutron Caseta works even with the central hub is unplugged.

And I'm using Home Assistant as the central controller, then I share with Apple Home so Siri can "see" the devices. HA is lightyears ahead of Apple, except for voice integration.

it is expensive but there are no million dollar houses here. There is no way you'd find one that cheap. So I tell peole "What is $2K? It's pocket change for many people.

As said, we are in "early days" where only experts can work in this area. SOme day it will be easy.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
I guess considering the main reason to get a Nanoleaf (At least to me) is HomeKit, the iPhone will control the devices directly through thread without wifi.

I wish Matter to be great. It’s seems to be a great way to make devices break more often.
No it will not. The iPhone lacks a Thread radio. It has "only" WiFi, Cell, Bluetooth, nearfeild (NFC) and GPS reciever. It does NOT have Thread, zigbee, LoRan or anything else.

That said, these "skylights" don't use Thread or Matter. Nanoleaf does make a thread/Matter light bulb.

The iPhone has to use IPv6 over WiFi to a border router to access the Thread network

Reactions: RMo

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
A lot of this comes down to Apple. If they opened up HomeKit, they’d have a much bigger pot of smart devices to create more competition. HomeKit and Shortcuts are fantastic, but I want to be able to have access to all the products out there. And Matter is crap, and Homebridge etc is clunky.
Apple did open up Homekit. They support Matter.

You should give some supporting reasons if you think "Matter is crap". It the problem really Matter or Apple's poor implementation of it?

I. am using Home Assitant's (beta) Matter controller and then exporting the whole Matter fabric, to Apple's Home using homekit protocol.. This seems to be more reliable than multi controller.

lazyjj1

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2017
No it will not. The iPhone lacks a Thread radio. It has "only" WiFi, Cell, Bluetooth, nearfeild (NFC) and GPS reciever. It does NOT have Thread, zigbee, LoRan or anything else.

That said, these "skylights" don't use Thread or Matter. Nanoleaf does make a thread/Matter light bulb.

The iPhone has to use IPv6 over WiFi to a border router to access the Thread network
iPhone 15 Pro has thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.