Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XIT4NO

I got this from Amazon for my iPad 2. It was around $5.20 at the time, its still under $6 including shipping right now. Its clear plastic and does the same job as the $30 products listed here.

Looks like you guys overpaid.

You're making a big assumption there. At the end of the day you get what you pay for and there is no way a cheap $5.20 product compares to a $30 product which may be similar in appearance. Let's see how long yours holds up. I paid $17 for my Belkin Snap Shield and I'm sure it's far more durable and better quality then yours. I certainly didn't over pay.

There's no comparing that to the Speck Smart Shell. It's more fair to compare it to the Belkin though.

The Smart Shell has the following features that your cheap cover doesn't have:
  • a cutout midway down the side to make it easier to open the SmartCover
  • very little space between the hinge and the the cover (only about 2 mm of the back of the iPad is exposed), and
  • it has a metal strip on the back which holds the SmartCover when it's open so it doesn't flap down.

I've used both the Belkin (on my MIL's iPad2) and the Smart Shell, and hands down the Smart Shell is the winner.

I've got the Belkin Snap Shield and the same applies to that except for the magnetic strip. In my opinion whilst the magnetic strip might add a bit more functionality it looks tacky and it's something I'm happy to do without.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've got the Belkin Snap Shield and the same applies to that except for the magnetic strip. In my opinion whilst the magnetic strip might add a bit more functionality it looks tacky and it's something I'm happy to do without.

IMO, the metal strip looks cool. I've been stopped by half a dozen people asking me about it and complimenting the case. I'm sure at least a few of those people bought that case because of me.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
IMO, the metal strip looks cool. I've been stopped by half a dozen people asking me about it and complimenting the case. I'm sure at least a few of those people bought that case because of me.

If you're happy with it then fair enough. It's not something I'm keen on although I probably would put up with it if I had to.

stubberfield

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
Canada
Got the black smart shell from Spec in from gleemobile unexpectedly this morning. Price was $26.99 with free shipping when using gleefriends 10% discount code.

Ordered it from gleemobile before I bought the Belkin. In retrospect, I think I should have waited.

Coverage identical to the belkin, build quality seems better. No imperfections on the black belkin as there is on the speck. Easily attaches, but stays on more securely than does the Belkin. Black is a bit translucent, meaning you can make out the faint black apple and 'ipad' outline on the back of the case when the lighting is right. The Speck has a small raised logo on the bottom of the case, nothing too flashy or distracting.

Speck took its time comparatively to get this to market, and they came up with a couple of added touches that I'm sure many will appreciate. It's almost as if the engineers took the time to look up comments and complaints about the belkin on this forum and you tube.

1. A small cutout on the far side of case allows for easy opening of the smart cover, as shown in my first photo. The fingernail inmpaired have posted that they found the Belkin case a bit hard to open and close, not a problem here.

2. There is a small glossy strip on the backside of the case illustrated in my second and third photos. To my surprise and delight, it's function is to hold the smart cover snugly to the back of the case when it is fully opened.

Otherwise, the Speck is identical to the Belkin and carries many of it's same traits...decent protection without adding unacceptable bulk or weight. I prefer the translucent black and overall build quality of the Speck. It promises to age better than the Belkin, which is already looking like a dirty, grimy piece of disposable plastic after a couple of weeks. Unlike the Belkin case, which somehow cheapens the looks and aesthetics of the iPad 2, the Speck makes it appear a bit more polished and upscale. It goes equally well with my red and black smart covers.

If you waited or hesitated on getting the Belkin, congratulate yourself and buy the Speck instead now.

I received my speck smartshell case in the mail yesterday. I used the gleefriends 10% discount code and it worked...so here's my story.

Clyde I had a similar Belkin case, but it cracked. Occasionally, I am prone to dropping my iPad, so the Belkin was definitely not durable enough. About a month ago, I took the cheap route and ordered a slim fit case for $5.95 from Amazon(mind you, I paid an additional $4.99 for shipping). First of all, it took a little over TWO WEEKS to arrive. Secondly, when it arrived, it was cracked! I called them and got the run around and I figured I got exactly what I paid for. A few weeks later I ordered the blue smartshell case from gleemobile and received it in THREE DAYS (yesterday). I used the discount; on top of that, there was free shipping. Thus far, I am extremely impressed. I haven't dropped my ipad yet, but I feel confident that it will withstand a few fumbles here and there. Here are the two main reasons why the smartshell is THE best:

1. It was so easy to put on! Initially, I had to wrestle with my Belkin. I got it on, but at the expense of a few red fingers.
2. The smart shell cover is about 1/3 thicker than my belkin, but oddly enough, it doesn't seem as bulky. It anything, it appears to be slimmer.

All in all, I feel like I have saved myself time and $ on this one. The speck is a keeper.

stubberfield

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
Canada
My only concern would be that the opening on the side to help with the smart cover looks a little big and open for scratches. Not a deal breaker and realize this is being too picky. I will be getting one soon. Wish target had it.

I wish target had it too Bouda. You should definitely get the black one because major scratches don't appear so apparent. I have the orange one, and I will be ordering the black for my other comp pretty soon. I'm also going to get an iPhone case, but I still need time to decide on a quality case. There is a lot of flexibility and coverage on the side, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Did you order yours yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.