Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nomad today introduced its most powerful charger to date, the 130W USB-C Power Adapter that's equipped with three USB-C PD ports. The 130W adapter joins Nomad's existing 65W, 30W, and 20W adapters.

nomad-130w-1.jpg

Priced at $110, the 130W Power Adapter features the same design as Nomad's prior adapters, so if you have one of the smaller varieties, you can have a matching set. It's got a sleek black "carbide" enclosure, and it does use GaN (gallium nitride) technology to ensure a compact size.

I always find myself wishing Nomad made its accessories in white or other colors, but black is the Nomad aesthetic and it works. I can say without hesitation that this is the snazziest charging brick I've used, though I have to admit I don't often think too much about the build quality of the power adapter I'm using since it's out of sight and under the desk. If you have a charging setup on a desk or somewhere that looks matter, you won't be disappointed with the design of Nomad's Power Adapter.

Though the power adapter has three ports, it is smaller in size than the 140W charger from Apple that's designed for the 16-inch MacBook Pro models, and it is close in size to the Apple 96W power adapter. There are flip out prongs so when the charger is not in use, it folds down into a little cube that can be tucked away in a bag or a suitcase. I do want to point out that it has some heft - it's not a lightweight charger.

nomad-130w-2.jpg

Each port is capable of 100W charging, but that is the maximum. You won't be able to get the 140W charging you're able to achieve on the 16-inch MacBook Pro with the MagSafe power adapter from Apple, but 100W is plenty for keeping power levels up while the MacBook Pro is in use. I rarely use the MagSafe port on my MacBook Pro for charging, and it's always at full battery when I'm at my desk regardless of what I'm doing. 100W is also enough power to max out all of Apple's other notebooks, and plenty for iPhones, iPads, and other USB-C accessories.

When charging multiple devices, Nomad's power adapter is able to intelligently split power. With two devices, it sends 100W to the top port and 30W to the other port, so you can charge a MacBook at full speed while also having 30W available for an iPhone or an iPad. With all three ports in use, the top port charges at 70W, while the two bottom ports get 30W each.

If you use just the bottom two ports and not the top port, you can get 65W with each port for evenly split power, and it's nice to have so many different charging options with one charger depending on which ports you opt for. With a minimum of 30W going to each port regardless of what's being charged, all three ports can fast charge an iPhone.

Bottom Line

Nomad's 130W Power Adapter is a convenient all-in-one power adapter thanks to its three ports and smart charging modes. It's useful for charging several devices at home, and equally helpful when traveling because you only need to pack a single power adapter.

At $110, the only downside is the price. That's a lot for a charger, but it is only $10 more than Apple's 140W charger, and it is not to far off of the price of similar chargers from companies like Anker and Satechi.
How to Buy

The Nomad 130W Power Adapter can be purchased from the Nomad website for $110.

Note: Nomad provided MacRumors with a 130W Power Adapter for the purpose of this review. No other compensation was received.

Article Link: Review: Nomad's New 130W Power Adapter is Perfect for Multi-Device Charging

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
I have an array of chargers from a great many companies that are put to use in home and home office environments. For travel, I much prefer a charger with this type of flip-out prongs to plug in to an outlet, rather than YADC (Yet Another Damn Cable). I think I'll give this a whirl... Travel consists of a MacBook Pro, occasionally an iPad Pro, and an iPhone, so this appears to be a great solution, for me.

alexanderwolf

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2021
This looks sleek! Satechi has similar products including those that are higher in wattage. Belkin also has something very similar to this except it also has a usb A port on it for charging legacy devices, which is nice.

fernelius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
This is the first power adapter I've seen like this (3 USB-C ports, plugs in directly to outlet). It's about time.
Actually, Satechi has had one for a while. I have a couple of them, and they’ve worked great for my use. Their adapter is only 108W but about $75. I don’t usually connect my Mac, though, as I’ve moved almost all my computing to iPad. I use it more for iPhone, iPad, portable monitor, and Apple Watch charging.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Despite owning two 16" M1 MBPs (work and personal), I just bought the Anker 67 Watt GaN Prime charger yesterday. Why? Well, I've found that these laptops very rarely draw above ~40ish watts... and they have such great battery life it's rare that I need to fast charge them. 67 Watts charges plenty fast... and is a lot lighter and smaller. I already have a 65 Watt Hyper that I've been using for over a year that works very well.

That said: this looks like a great product. I love Nomad (have one of their Watch bands on my arm right now) - and this looks very slick. If I end up needing more ports - I'll definitely give it a look!

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I have a similar looking Minix 66W adapter (only with two type-C and one type-A connection), and it's one of the best pieces of kit that I carry around with me. One adapter for every device I own.

This Nomad isn't cheap, but if I had the sort of kit that required 130W, it'd be a no brainer.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Anker should learn something from this release. 😉

Anker's largest GanPrime charger (the 747) has 3 USB-C _and_ a USB-A... and does 150 Watts... AND has "dynamic power" charging (it changes the amount of power output on each port based on how dead the battery is that's connected to that port - that way the more "dead" devices get topped up fastest/first).... AND it's the same price as this at $110.

The Anker is a much better deal IMO.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Anker's largest GanPrime charger (the 747) has 3 USB-C _and_ a USB-A... and does 150 Watts... AND has "dynamic power" charging (it changes the amount of power output on each port based on how dead the battery is that's connected to that port - that way the more "dead" devices get topped up fastest/first).... AND it's the same price as this at $110.

The Anker is a much better deal IMO.

Why USB - A? That should be dead and gone by now?! 🤬

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Why USB - A? That should be dead and gone by now?! 🤬

Compared to this charger... it's a bonus. You still get 3 USB-C... just ignore the A if you don't need it.

Personally, I carry a USB-A to USB-C cable with me so that I can charge my lower power USB-C devices without taking up a USB-C port. For instance, my Sony headphones and Switch controllers both charge using USB-C, but don't need much juice so using that USB-A port for them is very handy so that I can leave the USB-C ports open for things that need more juice.

YKApple

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Canada

Nomad today introduced its most powerful charger to date, the 130W USB-C Power Adapter that's equipped with three USB-C PD ports. The 130W adapter joins Nomad's existing 65W, 30W, and 20W adapters.

nomad-130w-1.jpg

Priced at $110, the 130W Power Adapter features the same design as Nomad's prior adapters, so if you have one of the smaller varieties, you can have a matching set. It's got a sleek black "carbide" enclosure, and it does use GaN (gallium nitride) technology to ensure a compact size.

I always find myself wishing Nomad made its accessories in white or other colors, but black is the Nomad aesthetic and it works. I can say without hesitation that this is the snazziest charging brick I've used, though I have to admit I don't often think too much about the build quality of the power adapter I'm using since it's out of sight and under the desk. If you have a charging setup on a desk or somewhere that looks matter, you won't be disappointed with the design of Nomad's Power Adapter.

Though the power adapter has three ports, it is smaller in size than the 140W charger from Apple that's designed for the 16-inch MacBook Pro models, and it is close in size to the Apple 96W power adapter. There are flip out prongs so when the charger is not in use, it folds down into a little cube that can be tucked away in a bag or a suitcase. I do want to point out that it has some heft - it's not a lightweight charger.

nomad-130w-2.jpg

Each port is capable of 100W charging, but that is the maximum. You won't be able to get the 140W charging you're able to achieve on the 16-inch MacBook Pro with the MagSafe power adapter from Apple, but 100W is plenty for keeping power levels up while the MacBook Pro is in use. I rarely use the MagSafe port on my MacBook Pro for charging, and it's always at full battery when I'm at my desk regardless of what I'm doing. 100W is also enough power to max out all of Apple's other notebooks, and plenty for iPhones, iPads, and other USB-C accessories.

When charging multiple devices, Nomad's power adapter is able to intelligently split power. With two devices, it sends 100W to the top port and 30W to the other port, so you can charge a MacBook at full speed while also having 30W available for an iPhone or an iPad. With all three ports in use, the top port charges at 70W, while the two bottom ports get 30W each.

If you use just the bottom two ports and not the top port, you can get 65W with each port for evenly split power, and it's nice to have so many different charging options with one charger depending on which ports you opt for. With a minimum of 30W going to each port regardless of what's being charged, all three ports can fast charge an iPhone.

Bottom Line

Nomad's 130W Power Adapter is a convenient all-in-one power adapter thanks to its three ports and smart charging modes. It's useful for charging several devices at home, and equally helpful when traveling because you only need to pack a single power adapter.

At $110, the only downside is the price. That's a lot for a charger, but it is only $10 more than Apple's 140W charger, and it is not to far off of the price of similar chargers from companies like Anker and Satechi.
How to Buy

The Nomad 130W Power Adapter can be purchased from the Nomad website for $110.

Note: Nomad provided MacRumors with a 130W Power Adapter for the purpose of this review. No other compensation was received.

Article Link: Review: Nomad's New 130W Power Adapter is Perfect for Multi-Device Charging
Yeah but Anker 😭

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
When charging multiple devices, Nomad's power adapter is able to intelligently split power. With two devices, it sends 100W to the top port and 30W to the other port, so you can charge a MacBook at full speed while also having 30W available for an iPhone or an iPad. With all three ports in use, the top port charges at 70W, while the two bottom ports get 30W each.​

If you use just the bottom two ports and not the top port, you can get 65W with each port for evenly split power, and it's nice to have so many different charging options with one charger depending on which ports you opt for.

Intelligent would be the plug figuring that out, not you.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
This is the first power adapter I've seen like this (3 USB-C ports, plugs in directly to outlet). It's about time.
Invzi has been working for me for a couple years now... AND... it has adapters for traveling to other countries

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
100w+ (130/140) been out for awhile now. You can get them cheaper and with a USB A port as well. The price seems a little exxy but I assume Nomad is a solid company compared to some of the dodgy mobs you see on Amazon.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
How about giving us something in this "article" that's not in the tech specs? Like, how hot does it get when running at full tilt? And how is the build quality?

Reactions: Nicole1980
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.