Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
That is the caveat to this Nomad band versus the Apple link band. The lugs protrude and the ugly gap between the casing/band make this band appear to be a mismatch type look.

The link band just meshes perfectly with the Apple Watch:

View attachment 827758

Perfectly? The colour difference between the watch case and the band is horrific. When even Apple can't make their bands match then I have little hope for 3rd party bands. The problem is Apple prioritised a proprietary band system over aesthetics from day one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The problem is Apple prioritised a proprietary band system

......which works perfectly, so it’s not a problem as you’re interpreting it. That’s the best part of the Apple Watch bands, is the simplicity of changing bands at ease and it’s seamless. I would say one of the largest contributors to the Apple Watch for its countinued success, is the band switching and pairing.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Why do so many freaking third parties only make bands for the 42/44mm model??!!?? I just don’t get it. Nomad is especially bad about this.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
......which works perfectly, so it’s not a problem as you’re interpreting it. That’s the best part of the Apple Watch bands, is the simplicity of changing bands at ease and it’s seamless. I would say one of the largest contributors to the Apple Watch for its countinued success, is the band switching and pairing.

For me it's a problem because I'm comfortable with changing bands on watches anyway, so all this does is introduce incompatibilities. Not just with connecting other straps but aesthetically.

I would have loved it if Apple built lugs into the watch instead. It makes it a simple issue of matching the case and the strap. With Apple Watch you have to worry about the case, the strap, and the strap connector all matching.

Below is a picture of an Apple Watch on Apple's own website which shows the problem even more. That white connector makes me want to throw up.

Fitbit also make this proprietary connector mistake on their smartwatches. IMO Samsung's smartwatches are the best in terms of keeping standard lugs as part of the case design.

40-alu-silver-sport-loop-seashell-nc-s4-1up

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Ebay has cheeper

As of late I am finding cheaper things on eBay are cheaper for a reason.
I used to be a fanatic of third party band. Their quality doesn’t match up.
I now prefer buying fewer quality bands than more cheaper/inexpensive bands.
YMMV
[doublepost=1553360876][/doublepost]
For me it's a problem because I'm comfortable with changing bands on watches anyway, so all this does is introduce incompatibilities. Not just with connecting other straps but aesthetically.

I would have loved it if Apple built lugs into the watch instead. It makes it a simple issue of matching the case and the strap. With Apple Watch you have to worry about the case, the strap, and the strap connector all matching.

Below is a picture of an Apple Watch on Apple's own website which shows the problem even more. That white connector makes me want to throw up.

Fitbit also make this proprietary connector mistake on their smartwatches. IMO Samsung's smartwatches are the best in terms of keeping standard lugs as part of the case design.

40-alu-silver-sport-loop-seashell-nc-s4-1up
Yes I agree. I wish apple matched the lugs to the bodies.

jhechtmd

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2019
I don't understand why the article's images show a gold linked band. The Nomad options are only silver and black. Same for Apple (except for Milanese loop). Chinese knockoffs are in gold at Amazon, eBay for $20 but they are not shiny gold matches, more of a flat gold.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Band is OK but the lugs are just wrong. They match neither the band nor the watch.

It's as if they were made for some other product?

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Band is OK but the lugs are just wrong. They match neither the band nor the watch.

It's as if they were made for some other product?
For my wrist these "lugs" seem to hold my S4 AW very nicely flat on my wrist. All other bands/straps I have tip my AW slightly.

chadgio

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2018
Merica
I have this band in silver. I really like it but admit I do not wear it every day. Here’s my personal takeaways...

Pros:
1. Hypoallergenic (I have a serious nickel allergy so it’s the only choice on the market)
2. Big lugs give the watch a very different appearance (it’s a very nice change to have available)
3. Extremely light for a metal band (obvious Ti benefit)
4. Very well made
5. Substantial price difference from apples metal band

Cons
1. Link removal could be a challenge for someone who has never used pinned links
2. The metal is not a perfect match to aluminum or stainless watches
3. It makes a very noticeable and quite obnoxious buzz when the haptic engine is activated.
4. Installing the band to the watch must be done with both ends simultaneously (not a dealbreaker but makes quick changes a bit more tedious)
5. Gap between lugs and first link (could probably have been designed a bit better tbh)

Overall I really like this band and am grateful that a company came out with a high quality band for those of us who can not wear stainless steel or any metal containing nickel. I have a few high end titanium automatic timepieces and this band easily matches the quality of the bracelets on the aforementioned watches. Despite the shortcomings this was a very good first gen from nomad and I hope to see future versions that improve on the few issues I have listed above. Even if this is the first and final version I would recommend it to a friend although I would be sure to mention the cons as although I can live with them some people may not be able to. To anyone out there who may be considering this due to a similar skin allergy as myself, I would buy this band ASAP because it appears to be a limited release and I doubt any other companies will be making a similar band.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Overall I really like this band and am grateful that a company came out with a high quality band.
I have the black band and, like you, I really like wearing it. It seems to give the black S4 44mm another cool appearance;)

Last edited:

Aguaman

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Regarding the black coating on the band....

It will likely wear off and expose bare metal within a year of normal use if not less. The PVP coating process is no where near as durable as the process used on Apple’s band... DLC (diamond like carbon). The ability for the black coating to stick to titanium is even less than that of stainless steel, since the molecules of titanium are so dense. DLC is an expensive process and very similar to the process used to create artificial diamonds. This is one major reason why the Apple band is so expensive.

This band looks very nice, and no doubt the silver version’s links will probably hold up to a lot of scuffing. However, the black version is not worth $20 let alone $179. You’d be better off with a ceramic watch band that would bond to color much, much better.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
The Apple Links band is a design marvel. From the looks to the comfort to the ease of attaching and detaching links it's just the perfect band and worth every cent. I have a ton of bands, but ever since I got the links band I haven't bothered switching them out much. Yes, I even train and swim with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.