Review of Apple Leather Case (Product RED)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by w00t951, Sep 30, 2013.

1. w00t951, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I bought an Apple 5/5S case in Product RED. Here's my take on it...

Build Quality
    Superb. The leather is flawless and the fit is impeccable. Typical Apple quality. The red is bright, at least out of the box.

Ease of Use
    Mostly perfect. The buttons are easy to press. The port cutouts are quite fitted, so you'll probably have trouble getting chunky cables and headphone jacks in.

Actually Using It
    Leather is a unique material - it bounces like foam yet resists scratches like rubber. Unfortunately, a problem exists with the lighter colored cases - the leather gets discolored after very little use. The edges are discolored to the same shade as the indented Apple logo on the back - it doesn't look horrible, but for people who care the Apple case won't look brand new for very long.

Aside from that little problem, the case is awesome. The buttons press easily, all the ports and switches and grilles are accessible (each speaker hole is cut and aligned with the grille hole!). The case even stops the silent switch from being flipped accidentally - you have to deliberately press the switch with your finger.

Conclusion
    Now that I think about it, I should have gotten the black case. It would be less distinctive and fun, but the staining on the leather makes the case look slightly dirty. Until the leather ages properly, the discoloration will bother me.

Aside from that, the case is perfect. Good protection, high quality, and fine design make this one of my favorite cases from Apple.

Rating
    :apple::apple::apple::apple:

Update
    I returned the case. I stand by my original review, but the discoloration got worse since I wrote this. Now the case is gnarly and I doubt it will age like regular leather.

2. ikm19 macrumors 6502

ikm19

Yeah i got the same problem with the red, its getting discolored from the edges due to constantly taking in and out from jeans pockets.
    I cleaned it with wet cloth but i don't think this color of case will last me long enough.

3. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Just don't drop it, Or you 5 star rating will go down to a 1 star.

4. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Agree with your review. I understand leather ages and changes with time and so on, but not convinced the red leather will age into anything that looks better than a dirty red case. Brown or black, sure, I can see that.

5. musicjunky macrumors regular

Yes, I am of the mind that colored leather won't develop a nice patina like brown or black leather.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I've had my case sept 21st and it's already getting really dark edges.

7. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Pic please?

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Yea please post pics. I got mine Sunday and it's starting to look... I dunno. Already.

I thought many maybe had the phone in new jeans or such and that led to the dye bleeding onto the phone. However that's not the "case."

It's a fine line between aged and looking dirty. I'm not sure how this is going to end.

9. Fluttershy macrumors regular

Fluttershy

I got this and loved it - then I tried plugging my earphones in and the case blocked my right-angle jack.

Very very sad.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Alittle hard to tell in pics but in person it's alittle darker.

Attached Files:

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You can see it better in this pic

Attached Files:

12. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

That doesn't look bad at all IMHO. I may still take a chance and grab one. Was thinking blue or red, but black maybe the safe choice.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yea I would still get it. I like it a lot. It'll probably get more wear but aslong as it's the case and not my phone taking wear and tear.