Review of i5 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wandering Mango, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Wandering Mango macrumors newbie

I haven't seen many reviews of the new MBPs, and as a veteran lurker (er, survivor) of the Waiting for Arrandale thread, I was hoping to see something. Just the Engaget review so far, so I started writing my own mini-review. You can see it here at my development blog:

http://weblog.wanderingmango.com

I did a couple of informal benchmarks using the laptops I had at hand, just to see how much faster the i5 was. And in these informal tests it was ... much faster. No surprise there I guess, since I'm pitting it against older laptops. But it was interesting to see.

2. Arrandale macrumors regular

I like your review. It has a very patient, calm and straightforward way of dealing with the topic. I am looking forward to parts 2 and 3.

You should write more!

3. Z1NX macrumors member

Officially agree. When can we expect parts 2 and 3?
    May I have a sneak preview, by telling me how you cope with the standard-res screen? Enough real-estate? Cheers, you creative writer, you. :p

4. Wandering Mango thread starter macrumors newbie

@Arrandale, Z1NX: Thanks for the kind comments.

Regarding screen real estate, I find that it is enough for everyday writing tasks in TextMate. A lot has been made about the standard resolution screen being under 75% of the size of the high resolution screen, and I think this has an impact for people doing graphics work. But for most browsing and writing tasks, I think it tends to be the vertical component that really matters; and in this case, the standard resolution screen is about 85% of the high resolution screen - so the difference seems a bit smaller in practise.

That said, I'm going to try doing some graphics work in the next day or two to see how things look. Part 2 will be out by Sunday evening.

5. JNickyJJ macrumors member

6. Wandering Mango thread starter macrumors newbie

7. tann macrumors 68000

8. Wandering Mango thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Wandering Mango thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

11. Wandering Mango thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much; I appreciate the encouragement. Actually, I've been quite surprised at the positive feedback. Not that I was expecting negative feedback; I guess I just wasn't expecting any. As a result of this little experiment, I'm thinking of writing a bit more.

12. silexh macrumors member

silexh

Nice...

Your review is certainly good, your style is very nice to read. Keep us posted on more reviews as you certainly have a good view on matters.
    Enjoy World of Goo :rolleyes:;)

13. Arrandale macrumors regular