Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peteullo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac

Just grabbed a Logitech K750 Solar Keyoard for Mac and I thought I'd write a quick review.

This is hands down the best wireless keyboard I've come across. The build quality is fantastic and the keys work just as smooth as an Apple wireless keyboard. The solar powered charging is great! Literally charges from any light source; computer screen, lamps etc.

It takes some fidgeting to get the Function keys to work but this wasn't a big deal.

I purchased this keyboard in Metallic silver with white keys to keep the Apple look. The silver has a clear coat over it so it won't have that nice metal feel that comes from most apple products but it is nice nonetheless.

Also the best part... The Keyoard is only $60.00! I think for the quality of this keyboard and the money it will save you in batteries it will be totally worth the investment.

Overall I would Highly recommend this keyboard to anyone! You won't be disappointed! :apple:

Eddyquan

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac

Just grabbed a Logitech K750 Solar Keyoard for Mac and I thought I'd write a quick review.

This is hands down the best wireless keyboard I've come across. The build quality is fantastic and the keys work just as smooth as an Apple wireless keyboard. The solar powered charging is great! Literally charges from any light source; computer screen, lamps etc.

It takes some fidgeting to get the Function keys to work but this wasn't a big deal.

I purchased this keyboard in Metallic silver with white keys to keep the Apple look. The silver has a clear coat over it so it won't have that nice metal feel that comes from most apple products but it is nice nonetheless.

Also the best part... The Keyoard is only $60.00! I think for the quality of this keyboard and the money it will save you in batteries it will be totally worth the investment.

Overall I would Highly recommend this keyboard to anyone! You won't be disappointed! :apple:

I saw it a little while ago, and it does look pretty nice.

Do you have to use the USB plug though? I'd probably prefer if if it was just bluetooth, but hey, its a keyboard, and I might as well get a nice dock too. :haha:

I'm considering this keyboard... Now just to find a bluetooth/rechargable mouse. If only they had solar powered mice. :p

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011

Do you have to use the USB plug though? I'd probably prefer if if it was just bluetooth, but hey, its a keyboard, and I might as well get a nice dock too. :haha:

I'm considering this keyboard... Now just to find a bluetooth/rechargable mouse. If only they had solar powered mice. :p

Maybe BT (whatever version they are using) drew too much power? I dunno, but it seems possible.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008

I was looking at this keyboard as well but I'm curious .... why did it take some fidgeting to get the function keys to work? According to their website, this keyboard has a "mac key layout and everything is exactly where you expect it to be- and it all works right out of the box".

peteullo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA

Yes, you have to use the usb dongle but it's a small sacrifice for a pretty stellar keyboard.

----------

I was looking at this keyboard as well but I'm curious .... why did it take some fidgeting to get the function keys to work? According to their website, this keyboard has a "mac key layout and everything is exactly where you expect it to be- and it all works right out of the box".

I thought it had something to do with a couple of keyboard settings I had switched in the System Preferences but turns out you have to disconnect the Apple Keyboard in the Bluetooth settings. Not a big deal at all.. I realized it when I set up one of these on my secretaries computer.

If you leave the Apple Keyboard connected in Bluetooth Settings the F1-F4 keys will not work as expected. Soon as you turn the keyboard off they instantly start working.

Eddyquan

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
Yes, you have to use the usb dongle but it's a small sacrifice for a pretty stellar keyboard.

Fair enough. Its a unifying receiver, so I guess should I buy a logitech mouse, I'll only need 1 receiver.

These keyboards cost $75 in Australia (same as the normal wireless keyboards). Might eventually get one, along with a nice mouse now. :D

How do you think this keyboard compares to the original :apple: one?

peteullo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA

Fair enough. Its a unifying receiver, so I guess should I buy a logitech mouse, I'll only need 1 receiver.

These keyboards cost $75 in Australia (same as the normal wireless keyboards). Might eventually get one, along with a nice mouse now. :D

How do you think this keyboard compares to the original :apple: one?

I think the keyboard is easily just as good.. It feels slightly different but what makes it nicer is that it's a full size wireless keyboard. It's kind of obvious they tried cloning the feel and style of the Apple keyboard as best as they can.

Like I said: Great keyboard and you won't be disappointed. I don't really have anything bad to say about it.

Eddyquan

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
^Ah fair enough.
How long does the battery last, and how longs it take to charge up? How does it feel different to the normal Mac keyboard?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I have the PC version of this keyboard before I got a MacMini and the only real downside, we have to be careful with the small plastic legs that could be problematic if one pushes down too hard that they might break over time. Other than that, when I used the Solar keyboard I made sure I had a light source overhead or nearby that powered/charge the keyboard.

A few owners had a small light source a short distance from the keyboard and the keyboard battery did not charge as fast. The charge should last a few months if not longer depending on how much you use it. Some have said they got close to 6 months or so.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I got one for my Mini, and I love it. I am lucky because I have a window near the desk in my office, so the keyboard stays recharged. The legs do seem a bit flimsy, but I pound the keyboard pretty hard when I type, and they haven't been a problem yet.

nydennis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I had mine for a day and the Enter key on the number pad popped off. I know someone else on the forums had some similar problems.

I loved the keyboard but I know for awhile the PC version was on clearance in staples and a few stores and made me nervous that it might be discontinued.

The time I had the solar keyboard it NEVER went below 100% and only charged off the TV and the monitor in the room.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I'm curious to know if the rather large "top" created by the solar cells is much of an impediment at all, does it make it much larger than other keyboards in practise? It seems like they could refine the idea by making solar elements that fit the space over the arrow keys, and where the battery indicator and on/off switch currently go, maybe a thinner strip at the top if it's still not enough. The battery indicator overall seems like a waste of space since the switch could just as easily go on a side, with the indicator somewhere discreet; after all there are only so many things a light on the keyboard could mean!

Common complaints seem to be in the quality of the feet on the keyboard, and the lack of a light on the caps lock button. Also, am I right in thinking that it lacks volume-control and eject keys, or are these rolled into the function keys?

Still, it seems like a good contender as a replacement wireless keyboard for me, as I love the newer Apple Wireless keyboard, but hate the laptop form-factor; I'm currently still using the original Apple Wireless keyboard (full-size white with clear plastic surround).

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I'm curious to know if the rather large "top" created by the solar cells is much of an impediment at all, does it make it much larger than other keyboards in practise? It seems like they could refine the idea by making solar elements that fit the space over the arrow keys, and where the battery indicator and on/off switch currently go, maybe a thinner strip at the top if it's still not enough. The battery indicator overall seems like a waste of space since the switch could just as easily go on a side, with the indicator somewhere discreet; after all there are only so many things a light on the keyboard could mean!

Common complaints seem to be in the quality of the feet on the keyboard, and the lack of a light on the caps lock button. Also, am I right in thinking that it lacks volume-control and eject keys, or are these rolled into the function keys?

Still, it seems like a good contender as a replacement wireless keyboard for me, as I love the newer Apple Wireless keyboard, but hate the laptop form-factor; I'm currently still using the original Apple Wireless keyboard (full-size white with clear plastic surround).

The Logitech is 6 1/4" wide - my Apple keyboard is in a box, so I can't compare.

The feet are kinda cheap feeling, but I don't use them.

I don't care that there's no caps-lock light.

F10, F11, F12 are "mute", "volume down", "volume up" (and have those symbols printed on the keys). There is an "eject" key between the F12 and F13 keys.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I would consider buying this but all of my Logitech stuff breaks in one way or another (besides my mouse, which is only a month old)

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
I was thinking about getting this keyboard as well but I've had some serious issues lately with the unifying receiver. I got a Logitech G700 gaming mouse about 2 months ago and it worked fine for about 4 weeks and then it died on me. Logitech then sent me another and that one lasted for only 2 weeks. So I kept trying to figure out if it's the actual mouse or the receiver that was bad so I took both the older and the newer reciever, tired them in a different mac and ran the unifying software. The software couldn't see either of them which leads me to believe that the problem wasn't with the mouse itself. They are now sending me a Performance Mouse. We'll see how that one goes. It it dies too, I'm sticking with bluetooth mice from here on in!

nydennis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I was thinking about getting this keyboard as well but I've had some serious issues lately with the unifying receiver. I got a Logitech G700 gaming mouse about 2 months ago and it worked fine for about 4 weeks and then it died on me. Logitech then sent me another and that one lasted for only 2 weeks. So I kept trying to figure out if it's the actual mouse or the receiver that was bad so I took both the older and the newer reciever, tired them in a different mac and ran the unifying software. The software couldn't see either of them which leads me to believe that the problem wasn't with the mouse itself. They are now sending me a Performance Mouse. We'll see how that one goes. It it dies too, I'm sticking with bluetooth mice from here on in!

I have had a couple of the unifying receivers go bad on me in my PC machines in the past, but I have always had some around the house that I just grabbed another one.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
I wish the Unifying mice would come down in price. They just introduced a Keyboard/Mouse combo of the K750 with a mouse, but it's priced at $110. In my opinion, you should be able to get a keyboard/mouse for $50

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.