Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
Okay, so I finally did it after over a year of waiting... I've finally become a mac user. hurray~ :)

I was a little concerned after reading endless posts regarding numerous issues here in this forum but simply couldn't resist the seduction from those gorgeous MBs at the apple store.

My only disappointment at the time of purchase was not being able to upgrade the memory to 1GB on the spot. The store guy told me NOT TO DO IT THROUGH THEM because it costs $200 while apple's online store only charges $90. Weird... Anyhow, I got the student discount and a free iPod nano so I'm a happy camper. (I'll install 3rd party rams later)

Like many other MB adopters, I expected "whining issues" and "moo" but so far I can't really tell if there is any on mine. Maybe my ear has been deafed by long term use of PCs, who knows... I'm just happy that My MB is not a calf!:D It is quiet and works smooth/fine without annoyances many others are facing.... except for maybe the heat. Yeah, it does get a little warmer than what I'd like.

Also, don't know why but the dumb iSight camera didn't work on the initial startup. (It started working fine after the 3rd bootup) Other than that, the super drive tends to cry out "super loud" like a baby when reading/writing... (is it supposed to be loud?) and Garage band didn't load on my first try, poping several "midi conflict" error messages but a simple restart fixed that.

I'm still on the quest learning osx tiger but would be happy to answer questions if there are any. Oh, I almost forgot... windows xp runs great under parallel. :)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
:rolleyes: Apple charges a TON for their memory upgrades, not to mention the labor charge, and it just gets insanely worse as the amount of memory goes up (ie. for 2gb apple charges $300 more, while if you do it yourself, it's $150 and you have the original RAM as well). If you can you might just be better off doing it yourself :)

timmyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
newegg

I couldn't find 2gb crucial rams for that price. :rolleyes:
So I suppose you guys are talking about those from g.skill, corsair, or gigaram?

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Yep, it's a ripoff, BUT if you've ever had a problem with your machine and take it to Apple (I went through 3 iMac G5's in 6 months) the first question they ask you is "What kind of RAM do you have in it?". If it's yours, there's a smirk and a "well it could be that and we don't know" or "we don't support that RAM, so call the supplier" regardless of the problem. If it's Apple's RAM, they get sad face, but must do your bidding.

The extra $300-$500 etc. sucks at the initial, but if you do it, for the life of the machine, Apple's at your command, at least in my experience.

janey said:
:rolleyes: Apple charges a TON for their memory upgrades, not to mention the labor charge, and it just gets insanely worse as the amount of memory goes up (ie. for 2gb apple charges $300 more, while if you do it yourself, it's $150 and you have the original RAM as well). If you can you might just be better off doing it yourself :)

timmyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
Some_Big_Spoon said:
Yep, it's a ripoff, BUT if you've ever had a problem with your machine and take it to Apple (I went through 3 iMac G5's in 6 months) the first question they ask you is "What kind of RAM do you have in it?". If it's yours, there's a smirk and a "well it could be that and we don't know" or "we don't support that RAM, so call the supplier" regardless of the problem. If it's Apple's RAM, they get sad face, but must do your bidding.

The extra $300-$500 etc. sucks at the initial, but if you do it, for the life of the machine, Apple's at your command, at least in my experience.

I totally agree with you on this one.

I just installed the patriot 2gb kit I bought from fry's electronics for $159.99 + tax, and it works great(my MB boots/performs super fast). BUT what a pain it has been trying to install those rams myself. I left a "screw driver" mark on the battery latch :( (crap, i should have used a coin as written on the manual) and one of those "microscopically" tiny screw has been slaughtered :eek:

afornander

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Okay, so I finally did it after over a year of waiting... I've finally become a mac user. hurray~

I was a little concerned after reading endless posts regarding numerous issues here in this forum but simply couldn't resist the seduction from those gorgeous MBs at the apple store.

My only disappointment at the time of purchase was not being able to upgrade the memory to 1GB on the spot. The store guy told me NOT TO DO IT THROUGH THEM because it costs $200 while apple's online store only charges $90. Weird... Anyhow, I got the student discount and a free iPod nano so I'm a happy camper. (I'll install 3rd party rams later)

Like many other MB adopters, I expected "whining issues" and "moo" but so far I can't really tell if there is any on mine. Maybe my ear has been deafed by long term use of PCs, who knows... I'm just happy that My MB is not a calf! It is quiet and works smooth/fine without annoyances many others are facing.... except for maybe the heat. Yeah, it does get a little warmer than what I'd like.

Also, don't know why but the dumb iSight camera didn't work on the initial startup. (It started working fine after the 3rd bootup) Other than that, the super drive tends to cry out "super loud" like a baby when reading/writing... (is it supposed to be loud?) and Garage band didn't load on my first try, poping several "midi conflict" error messages but a simple restart fixed that.

I'm still on the quest learning osx tiger but would be happy to answer questions if there are any. Oh, I almost forgot... windows xp runs great under parallel.
i just checked at apple.com, it sayd it costs $100 for a 1gb upgrade. and why would it cost $200 more in the store, am i missing something. i thought it would cost the same amount of $ for ram and harddrive upgrades at the apple store and online.:confused:

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Some_Big_Spoon said:
Yep, it's a ripoff...
It's most definitely a ripoff because Apple's not really supposed to give a damn who the RAM is from if the problem is unrelated.

I just bought 2gb (2x1gb) OCZ ram (cause...their higher end ram is great for overclocking, and I like them and i've never had an issue with their memory or their tech support) from newegg, it came out to $180 (including shipping+tax) i think, plus a little rebate. There was a g.skill and a transcend 1gb 200pin pc2-5400 sodimm thing on newegg for $70 and $4 shipping that had a spectacular rating and a bunch of good reviews from happy macbook(pro) users too.

About the apple store vs. online price difference, if I remember correctly, the price is different for the same upgrade because if you buy it online, they build to order. if you buy it in store, you are buying the base model, the memory for upgrade, and there's an additional labor charge for installing it in store or something along those lines.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
What happens if you put 4GB RAM into the MB? Is it possible? Because 32 bit systems can take a maximum of 4GB. Has anybody tried this?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
dextertangocci said:
Does the MB take DIMMS?:confused:

Why not SODIMMS?
the macbooks use sodimms.. it's a smaller 200 pin version of the regular 168/240pin dimms. usually for the most part they're the same speed and such, but the price is usually a bit higher because of the smaller size. they are roughly half the length of a regular DIMM, and hence are used in laptops and small form factor computers because of the amount of space saved from not using the full size modules.

Also, if you find 2gb 200pin pc2-5300 sodimms, please let me know :p ;)

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
From HD failures and motherboard failures right down to permissions issues, one of the first questions they seem to ask, at least in the stores I've been in, is regarding the RAM.

I mentioned that I had my iMac G5 replaced 3 times (4 machines total).. I initially had a Rev B which had 2 open RAM slots, so I loaded up 2GB (2 DIMMS). When the 3rd one of those died, I took it in and they replaced it right there with a Rev C., which has only one open RAM slot (with a f**king 512 on the board). I pointed out that I had 2GB in the Rev B and hat the RAM wouldn't work in the new Rev (different RAM, DDR2). Since I bought the RAM from Apple, they were forced to give me a 2GB DIMM ($1200 for that! same as the imac!) right there.

In that instance, it definitely paid off getting the RAM from Apple. Your milage may vary.

janey said:
It's most definitely a ripoff because Apple's not really supposed to give a damn who the RAM is from if the problem is unrelated.

timmyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
afornander said:
i just checked at apple.com, it sayd it costs $100 for a 1gb upgrade. and why would it cost $200 more in the store, am i missing something. i thought it would cost the same amount of $ for ram and harddrive upgrades at the apple store and online.:confused:

Not sure if other stores do the job for $100. BUT the stores I went to in AZ specifically told me that it's $90 online for the 1gb upgrade (because it is shipped assembled) vs. $200 instore on the time of purchase or whenever. Check apple.com store's memory section as it says the same thing as above.

Personally, if I could turn back time, I'd do the memory upgrade instore. The "screw driver" mark on the battery latch broke my heart and one of the three tiny screws on the "L" thingy is severly damaged.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
timmyp said:
Not sure if other stores do the job for $100. BUT the stores I went to in AZ specifically told me that it's $90 online for the 1gb upgrade (because it is shipped assembled) vs. $200 instore on the time of purchase or whenever. Check apple.com store's memory section as it says the same thing as above.

Personally, if I could turn back time, I'd do the memory upgrade instore. The "screw driver" mark on the battery latch broke my heart and one of the three tiny screws on the "L" thingy is severly damaged.

Relax.....every new car eventually get's a dent and every new computer eventually get's a scratch. Once you accept these things as inevitable you'll find them easier to deal with. It happens in the first week of ownership or it happens a year later - no difference, right?

knackroller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
If you replace RAM yourself, you should keep the original RAM.

You can replace the new RAM with your ORIGINAL RAM before bringing it to the store for repair.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
knackroller said:
If you replace RAM yourself, you should keep the original RAM.

You can replace the new RAM with your ORIGINAL RAM before bringing it to the store for repair.

Agreed! I always do this. It is simply worth it to have the factory mem in case something goes wrong. Plus, you can troubleshoot if it is the ram should a problem arise.

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
My white MB is on it's way (long weekend here atm), I rushed out yesterday to buy 2 x 1GB sticks so I'd have them to install when I get it. Thought I bagged me a bargain with Corsair, but having read lots of posts on different places have learnt the Corsair chips are trouble :( So my hunt begins again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.