Review: Philips Hue Play Adds Bright Bias Lighting to Your Entertainment Center

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2018.

1. HeinMeling macrumors newbie

Can the AC adapter be used drive the LED strips as well? I want to reduce the number of AC adapters in my setup...

2. Frign macrumors regular

Is this Zak Bagans? I love his shows! :D

3. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Hey there, just checked to make sure: nope, the Lightstrip has a dedicated power adapter of its own, couldn't be slotted into the Hue Play adapter.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018 ---
    I appreciate this, thanks for reading! HomeKit is currently my favorite part of Apple's services/products and I love adding on new devices, so I wanted to provide as much relevant info as possible. :)

4. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

lol yeah. Ghost Adventures did a 4 hour live show + 4 hour, 4-camera Facebook Live stream on Halloween.

5. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

I have to confess, I am a big Hue fan. I started with just a couple of bulbs and now have a couple of hubs in my home, backlighting on my TV which the wife scoffed at, so one day I turned it off. As soon as I did, I was told how "cold" and empty the lounge looked. It really brings the place together.

I also have a couple of colour lights in the lounge, and some ambiance bulbs in my sons playroom and nursery. I genuinely find a warmer tone in the evening just before bed helps him relax a little, and of course I use the warmest light as a nightlight in his room. I've then configured three modes on a Hue switch giving nightlight, nappy change light (slightly brighter but still dark enough to keep my boy asleep), and a full on light. Again sceptical wife, and now grateful wife.

Back in the lounge, we have "Cinema" mode lighting, reading lighting, relaxed lighting and evening night time dog modes. I've also got a movement sensor that brightens "night time dog mode" so I don't trip myself up if I have to go downstairs to get some water or anything else in the middle of the night. (Any parent knows how torturous lego bricks can be).

Overall, I have 11 Hue bulbs and plan to keep expanding the family. My next big purchase will be 5 candle E14 ambiance bulbs for our dining table, but that's actually rather expensive so I'm considering Ikea lighting. The only downside is it's not HomeKit compatible through the Hue bridge, but it will work through the Hue app and Alexa.

Nice product though and a great review. I'm looking forward to Philips bringing out an HDMI adapter that can directly process the image and change the colour accordingly.

6. GIZBUG, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

How well would these work horizontally if my tv is about 13 inches above the media table below it (75” tv)?

7. Fauwadahmed macrumors newbie

Fauwadahmed

Can i put philips hue play bar on the wall to light up the room for study and other purpose?

8. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

3 of these enough for a 65" wall mounted tv?
    How do people turn these on and off for daily TV viewing ( I use an appleTV and watch most of my stuff on netflix and YTTV). I assume they don't turn on and off when the tv/ATV turns on and off? I have to always go to my phone or ask siri to turn them on/off?
    As far as color, is it just personal preference as to which color shade people use for nighttime tv watching?

9. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

I'd imagine 3 would be plenty for most sized TVs, but I'm not entirely sure how they would interact with a wall mounted TV. You'd need plenty of space between the back of the TV and the wall to make sure the Hue Play's lights can emit to the sides of the TV.

Otherwise, yeah controls will be found in the Philips Hue iOS app or Home app. You can automate them to turn on/off at certain times of day, or ask Siri as well yep. I'm not aware if you can sync them to the power state of your TV... I'm pretty sure not.

There is some science behind bias lighting color preference which you can find in a quick google search, but I tend to go with a very light blue. Some disagree, but I find it the most subtle and easy on the eyes in a dark room, while also still providing just the right light for navigating a dark room.

10. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68020

H3LL5P4WN

I thought blue light was bad? lol

Unless there's something I have a color-coded theme for, generally speaking my room is a soft redish-orange, including behind the TV. Personal preference, really.

11. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

I use a Logitech’s harmony to manage all my home entertainment centre including hue TV lights. Never let me down.

12. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

What can the Harmony do with the lights? I have a Harmony Elite. Does it only turn them on/off?

13. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

You can automate Lights for certain actions. For example, I have standard TV, AppleTV and music actions. These just turn on my hue light strip behind my TV.

If I long press any of those, I get “cinema” versions where my lounge lights dim and glow warm with a red tinge, and the TV strip is a slightly different hue giving a movie theatre feel.

Attached Files: