Review: Prong PWR Case Adds a Folding Plug to Your iPhone 6/6s

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 28, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While there are numerous battery cases for iPhones, the Prong PWR Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s differentiates itself with a built-in, collapsible wall charger. The folding prongs enable you to charge your iPhone by simply plugging it into a wall outlet, making it ideal for work, home, travel, or wherever receptacles are available.

[​IMG]

Better yet, the PWR Case eliminates the need to have a Lightning charging cable wherever you go for cord-free convenience. But, as with all battery cases, there are important variables to consider before making your purchase, ranging from size and weight to battery capacity and price. Find out how the PWR Case stacks up ahead.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Prong PWR Case Adds a Folding Plug to Your iPhone 6/6s

2. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

I'm... actually far more interested than I thought I'd be, honestly.

3. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

Plus, it's a great way to hang the latest headlines from MacRumors on your wall! :D

4. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Packaging is part of the pros and cons of the product? Quality reviews is not MR thing it would seem.

5. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

1........ Of 12 items in the pros/cons list was about packaging.

6. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Should packaging ever be a pro of a product?

Honestly, if you have 2 products and they're pretty evenly matched, would you ever buy one because the packaging was slightly nicer than the other?

Is that something you should base a purchasing decision on? 2 items each have 12 pros listed and one of them has nice packaging as a pro, the other has a pro of something the first doesn't. You'd go with nice packaging instead?

7. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Do you not read a lot of product reviews? Almost ALL product reviews mention packaging. Not to mention... Apparently you buy Macs, and Apple takes extreme pride in great packaging, so it's apparently important to potentially you, a purchaser of Mac products.

8. jimthing, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Certification doubles the price... Apple's job these days seems to be to double the price of ordinary goods.

Reminds me of Apple trying to beat Amazon, by offering the publishing industry higher retail prices, in order to justify their 30% cut. Again, equating to higher prices for consumers.

Well, that's business, of course. But please don't say Apple is trying to look after their customers with such things as certification, as that's a falicy only certain ignorant elements of the 'spend spend spend' generation doesn't seem to concern themselves with. (often not realising how much one has to save for future needs.)

Good product or bad, useful product to ones own needs or not; who cares to buy, when one knows (and feels like) they're being ripped-off with over-high prices on items such as these.

EDIT: In the alternative, Anker are good guys generally, as they have decent products that usually work well (or replace easily if faulty), at prices that make sense for the type of product one is buying.

9. 2010mini macrumors 68040

So how much weight does this add to your super thin phone?

10. jackth29 macrumors member

jackth29

I love that MacRumors shopped their page onto the phone.

11. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

That's actually a real photo! Source: I took it :p

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I love the concept. Question is how well does it work in real life? As I see it the advantage of having the prongs built-in to the case is to get a quick charge when not at home. But there are a lot of places where the "public" electrical sock is literally only big enough to fit a charger or it blocks another outlet -- which would make you not just look like a jerk but be one. Other places like planes are angled in a way that would also only accommodate a charger.

When I'm home or at the office it would be a hinderance because I have one outlet with a mini strip connecting multiple lightning and other USB cables to charge all my devices in one area.

So I'm wondering if this might be a too cute by half idea which is why we've never seen it before from the usually battery case makers.

13. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

and their packaging is very nice.

I clipped all of your certification stuff but in a world of USB items that can hack your device (read that in the voice of the movie trailer guy) I'll pay extra for a product I can trust to plug into my lightning port.

14. Jethrox, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

Jethrox macrumors member

Jethrox

You bet your bottom dollar Apple thinks about packaging all the time...market penetration is based upon results. Of course this may not be on the consumers "pros list" but definitely on the producers.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2016 ---
    Makes me think more about a wireless charging system....what's the delay???

Many devices save seconds in your day...how much time does one spend messing with chargers?....I spend a couple of minutes. Multiply that out by a year...12hours! Worth it for me!

15. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I think this is a brilliant idea and yes packaging should be a factor. To me it is entirely about how a company deals with environmental issues and how they package their product tells you how much they care or don't care about the environment and what goes in the bin.

I think also this reviewer left out the iPhone battery manufacturer and that is Mophie. They were the first ones out there all those years ago and by now are so big, (which is unfortunate as they were recently bought by Zagg), they have probably already incorporated all the certification costs for the product by now.

Anyway I think this is a great idea building on the attachable battery idea and ann interesting way to have everything with you during the course of the day without having to carry a cord!

16. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Yes, packaging helps sell a product when buyers see it in stores. But it doesn't impact online reviews. Where else do you see people talking about the packaging as a pro to buying a product in their review? You'll never see David Pogue or any legitimate reviewer talking about it because it doesn't matter. You're buying a product, not packaging, and the second the product is out of the packaging, the package doesn't matter one bit. Focusing on it is silly, and that's why any decent review doesn't mention packaging.

17. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

...except when one wants to resell said item on Ebay or suchlike, where being able to put it neatly back into the packaging helps one to sell the item, and usually for a decent return.

...or simply returning to store if one feels the product isn't for them; most stores don't bat an eyelid if its packed up nicely back into the packaging, while they often refuse or kick up a fuss if it's not.

Hence decent re-packable packaging in this day and age is a very welcome thing.