Review: Rock Infinite Aluminum iPhone 6 Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by IdealTech, Apr 20, 2015.

1. IdealTech macrumors member

I've always regretted having to envelop beautifully designed aluminum phones such as the iPhone 6 and HTC one in thick silicon or plastic cases. Seriously, covering up these beautiful phones in more often then not, ugly cases seems to put to waste the hours of work engineers and designers spent developing these aluminum casings. But, we all do it in order to keep our expensive devices safe and pristine.

So, when I saw the Rock Infinite aluminum case for the 6 on these very forums, I couldn't resist!

I received the case today and I'm very happy with my purchase. With its clear acrylic back and aluminum bumper, it looks and feels almost exactly like a naked iPhone 6. And that, I think, is the biggest compliment I can give it. The buttons also feel perfect; very tactile.

In terms of reception loss that usually plagues aluminum cases such as the Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal, I haven't experienced any loss with the Rock Infinite. However, due to physics, I'm sure there must be some degradation in reception, albeit very minor. So I wouldn't recommend it to people who live in area with really poor reception.

Packaging looks nice.
    [​IMG]

Aluminum bumper is very well made and looks great.
    [​IMG]

Phone in the case:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dislikes:

There was an instruction sticker tacked onto the clear back and it was damn near impossible to get off. There was no tab to lift the sticker off. I had to chip away at a corner for 15min with my finger to get the sticker off.

Silent switch becomes hard to reach, not as bad as some other cases though.

Cutout for the headphone jack is very small in diameter. A trade off for good aesthetics. My Senheisser Momentum In-Ears just managed to fit through the cutout. Those with headphones/earphones with large jacks should steer clear of this case.

It's a hassle to take the phone out of the case. Not good for people who like to switch cases often.

2. samjwitwicky macrumors member

samjwitwicky

Nice Case.. do they have any other colors?

The thing with these cases is the acrylic/plastic back. Once full of scratches it does look quite bad..

3. TimeAgentGamer macrumors member

4. IdealTech thread starter macrumors member

Case comes in the iPhone colours (Space grey, Silver, Gold). You can find it on eBay. That's where I bought it from.

In term's of reception, I've noticed some minor issues. Wifi upload speed is sometimes (very rarely) inconsistent and can drop to very low speeds but immediately shoots back up after 3-5 seconds. Download speeds seem to be unaffected. I haven't experienced any total loss of signal though, and cellular reception doesn't seem to be affected.

So overall, it's as I expected. You can't escape the laws of physics, there will be some very very minor loss in signal quality with the case, but it's not nearly as bad as some other aluminum cases I've read about.

5. dnoph macrumors member

I like the textured aluminum look, but with the acrylic back, as someone else said, once it starts scratching up, it looks really bad

6. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

It looks like the back has some lay on the table protection. I see a black border that seems like it could lift the acrylic off the surface. That would help with scratches. Could you confirm this.

It still would like more input about reception, both from the thread starter when he gets more time using the case and others. Maybe a test of db rating with and without the case.

7. IdealTech thread starter macrumors member

No, there's no lip on the back that lifts the acrylic off the table. That's just the aluminum bumper appearing underneath the clear back cover. So yes, scratches could potentially be a problem. Apparently, the back is rated at 4H in hardness, but so far, I haven't scratched it yet.

In terms of reception, I'll update after using it a bit more, and maybe provide some quantitative tests if I have time. I have noticed reduced wifi performance (inconsistent speeds) but no loss in cellular reception or quality.