Review: Schuttenworks' Ripple is the Perfect Apple Watch Dock for Nightstand Mode

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Sep 24, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With watchOS 2, Apple introduced a new feature called Nightstand mode, which lets the Apple Watch be used as a nighttime clock and morning alarm when it's attached to the charger. Nightstand mode only works while the Apple Watch is placed in landscape mode on its side, rendering a lot of early Apple Watch docks and stands less useful.

Going forward, accessory makers will likely focus on making products that work with the new Nightstand feature, but small Apple Watch dock maker Schuttenworks has already developed a simple, high-quality watchOS 2-compatible Apple Watch charging stand called the Ripple.

[​IMG]

I've been using the Ripple on my night table for several weeks now, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's an attractive, low-profile stand that works with all Apple Watch models and all bands, both closed and open-loop, and at $54, it's not a bad value.

[​IMG]

Like its predecessor the Wave, which we reviewed earlier this year, the Ripple uses a clever split design and magnet system to lock the Apple Watch charger in place and keep the cord out of sight.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Schuttenworks' Ripple is the Perfect Apple Watch Dock for Nightstand Mode

2. Zombie Rodeo! macrumors newbie

From...
    "and at $54, it's not a bad value."

To...
    "Cons:
    On the expensive side"

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

4. bonaccij macrumors newbie

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I was going to post this exact one.
    I've been using it for around 2 months now and it's been great.

6. Shawn Llewellyn macrumors newbie

Shawn Llewellyn

Really! It's a piece of wood that I could make for a few bucks, but none the less nice...

7. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

8. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

I like this one for the price. But why does Spigen have to plaster their name all over their products?

9. mw360, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

'Expensive' and 'good value' are not mutually exclusive.

The review summary states the build quality makes it worth the extra cost. Expensive and good value in the same sentence.

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I agree, on the photos it's annoying, but I haven't really noticed it when on my nightstand.

11. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

That Native Union one is snazzy, but does it work when the band is open? I wouldn't want to fuss with closing up my sport band every night.

12. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

I'll let you know next week... ;)

Actually, I pop my sport band closed every night anyway when I'm just using the naked charger. It gives it more stability. That's really the easy one. Just push it onto a pin and voila. The stainless link and leather bands I have (non-Apple) are a bit more of a hassle to close, though.

I like the design of this Schuttenworks stand. I just wish it came in a darker color that looks more contemporary. The wood grain look needs to go back to the 80s... :)

13. dealjunkie, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

dealjunkie macrumors newbie

14. JGruber macrumors 6502

That's nice looking. Been looking at Watch stands, but decided to print my own.

Attached Files:

15. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

That is GORGEOUS. I'd totally get it if I had a night stand. All I have is a little shelf that attaches to the side of our bed down low. I keep my phone down there with some meds and a water bottle. I got the Elevation Labs NightStand earlier this week. The micro suction base is so crazy that you can even mount it vertically! I have it mounted on the side of our bed post down by my little shelf. If I accidentally knock the watch off, it will only fall a couple feet onto the carpet. Before I had it way up high on a dresser with no stand. Nearly pulled it off a few times.

16. g3nw1 macrumors newbie

FROM WEB FAQ

Do I need to buckle the Apple Watch around the aluminum arm to start the charging process?

No. What’s great is once the Apple Watch magnetic charging cable is inserted into DOCK, you can simply place the back of your watch onto it, and it will be magnetically secured, even when it’s unbuckled. 

17. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Looks good. Aside from the cost of the 3D printer, how little did that actually cost? Maybe you can sell these stands in different color options to help offset some of the cost of that printer?

18. JGruber macrumors 6502

My work bought the printer for me, so no cost to me! I do buy the filament though. Total cost to actually print this was less then $1 in ABS filament.

19. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

I bought the Elevation Labs dock from the Apple Store a few weeks ago. Figured I'd give it a try since I have their iPhone dock. Took it back a week later. The lack of a ridge on the bottom to support it makes it very impractical for nightstand mode. The magnet barely holds it up, and if you go to hit snooze or turn off the alarm you knock the watch down onto the surface of your nightstand.

20. federico0212 macrumors newbie

Im familiar with this company. They have a beautiful manufacturing process.
    It's extremely detailed, look at the carving of the logo within a single block of wood.

It looks and feels like a product made with care by a small business, that's the best part.

The aluminum one you guys posted is huge, and really blocky if its on a night stand on the right side of the bed.
    The Spigen one annoys me. Why, just why, cant spigen make a god damn stand that doesnt have the cable sticking out from the side. What kind of design is that? they keep doing it on purpose and its awful.

21. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

I just picked up a couple of these. One for my watch when I'd spending the night at my girlfriend's house, and one for her daughter, who we're buying an Apple Watch for in a few days for her birthday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0127F1IC4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It's in stock today (the Spigen is out of stock until Tuesday) and is a tad cheaper. Also, the branding doesn't appear to be as prevalent on the black one as it is on the Spigen.

22. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

I think his question was about when you're using it horizontally in nightstand mode, and the FAQ answer was referring to vertical mode. There may be an issue whereby the weight of whatever band is on the watch pulls downward, and "pries" the watch back off of the magnet. But as I said, I'll be able to let you know next week.

23. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I don't use nightstand mode, but good to know for anyone else who does. I still just use my iPhone.

24. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Sorry..the price of some of these stands is crazy...

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Some independent designers and manufactures think that just we pay what we do for Apple gear, we will pay a bonus for accessories. To me $10 for a plastic stand like this is too much....