Review: Speck CandyShell, NLU Bodyguardz, Belkin Micro Auto Charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by pyo, Jul 5, 2009.

1. pyo macrumors newbie

wdup all. been lurking the forums ever since I purchased my 3GS a couple days ago researching possible accessories. Got a LOT of good information in multiple threads and thought I would contribute towards the site.

*I apologize in advance if the pictures do not meet your standards. It has been a while since I've picked up my DSLR*

[​IMG]

NLU Bodyguardz:

At first I was going to purchase the InvisibleShield but after stumbling onto this forum, I found out that many users were preferring Bodyguardz over InvisibleShield. I purchased this at my local MicroCenter (last one) and put it on the moment I took off the factory plastic protectors.

The front went on with ease but the back was a pain to put on. Its so hard to line up the back film due to the shape of the back. I kind of messed up on the corners but deemed it acceptable.

I placed my newly BodyGuardz protected 3GS next to my little brothers InvisibleShield iTouch and the orange peel effect definitely stood out. BodyGuardz is WAYYYYY more clear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *No, that is not a scratch on the Apple logo. It is a piece of lint that got caught while placing the film.
    [​IMG]

Speck CandyShell White/Cranbry:

It took me 2-3 days of research to narrow down case possibilities. At 1st I was going to purchase the Incase Slider but after reading many posts about it scratching the back I had worries. I went to 2 Apple stores and 1 Bestbuy, and all the cases there had the raised lines inside the case as few users had mentioned.

Upon further research, the CandyShell really caught my eye. It had rave reviews from multiple sources. I must say that this case amazing. The feature I like most about this case is the silicone inside, as it gives me piece of mind that the back will not get scratched.

It doesn't add too much bulk to the phone and feels really good in my hand. Whlie it is somewhat of a glossy back, it does not slip out of my hands easily. The case also slips in and out of my pants pocket with ease. The raised edges also keep the screen off the surface, if you choose to lay your phone display down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Belkin Micro Auto Charger:

Picked up this bad boy at Best Buy today. I like it because all it does is turn my cigarette lighter socket into a USB power outlet. Takes minimal space, easy to place and remove. The included cable is black and looks to be of good quality.

I drove about 15-20 minutes with my 3GS plugged in and within that time frame my battery percentage went up about 10-11%.

Following are iPhone pics, imageshack resize.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BodyGuardz + Speck CandyShell:

Since I was originally going to get the Incase Slider, I had already prepared myself to remove the back film. I thought I would have to do the same for the CandyShell but I was wrong. The phone just slipped right in and stays in perfectly. I was worried that the back film would peel/come off when removing from the case, but that is not the case. It comes out without damaging the back film at all which is awesome. Can never have too much protection :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. astudentis macrumors regular

Nice job!

I am thinking I might get the BGZ to use with my iSkin Solo and SE Rebel

Do the bottom BGZ cover the chrome? Also did you get 2 pieces in the box... it doesn't seem to indicate on their site if they give you two or not? And what is the cheapest place to buy them (also that ships relatively cheaply to Canada)?

3. pyo thread starter macrumors newbie

The bottom BGZ is designed to cover the chrome, but that assumes you place the film perfectly. Mine is a little wavy in some spots but overall on each side covers 85-90% of the chrome if not more (note: it only covers the side, not the top near the screen).

Yes I did receive 2 pieces of each in the box. That was the main reason I purchased this, since my dad also got a 3GS.

I have no idea where the cheapest place to purchase this is. I bought all my accessories at retail stores cause I didn't want to wait =P

4. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

+1 Another vote for the Speck CandyShell. I have two white/grey's, one white/cranberry, and one SeeThru. Love them all!

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I love the candyshell as well. No better case for me out there, that I've found.

Scirica, check your PMs.

6. briang191 macrumors newbie

OP

Can you give me some updates on your Candy Shell + BGZ combo. Are you having any issues with the back of the BGZ when taking the phone out of the case?

7. zdblue11 macrumors member

zdblue11

i guess most people like white/red candyshells :D
    thats what i got as well hehe