Review: TechMatte [Apple MFi Certified] Lightning to USB Cable 3 feet

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ihonda, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ihonda macrumors 68000

So if you browse Amazon you will see plenty of Lightning cables that are half or less then half the cost then OEM Apple cables but a lot of caution should be thrown to the wind when trying to save a couple bucks when buying a charge cable for such an expensive phone. Luckily TechMatte figured out a way to provide a MFi cable that matches Apple's OEM pretty darn close. There are some cost-cutting measures which aren't very noticeable but I will point them out.

1) OEM cable has a soft/bendy cable which feels nice but as plenty of people know the cable can break down easy over time. TechMatte seems to use a thicker BUT cheaper feeling cable (think more of a plastic coating vs a soft coating)

2) OEM cable has different ending material, yes both are plastic but just seems to be a different type of plastic. OEM feels better IMO but there is nothing wrong with TechMatte at all. I mean really would you let something like that bother you? Remember you are saving at least $7.

3) Now this is where the "cheaper" material actually has a beneficial use. Anyone who's anyone knows that with your OEM cable you are likely to get fraying on the ends of the cables that are connected to the ports because the soft plastic breaks down. This has been a known issue with Apple for a long time. TechMatte using the "cheaper" material actually have more rigidity in this area which leads me to believe that this cable is LESS likely to fray under normal use (if at all).

TechMatte does have some very small branding on the plastic coupling that plug into your device but its not distracting. Speaking of this coupling it appears to be the same size as the OEM cable (MAYBE A TAD THICKER). Ive run into no issues using this cable with various cases.

All in all this is a great alternative to the OEM Apple cable with some cost-cutting measures. I would highly recommend this as a back-up cable or a 2nd/3rd/4th cable. At this price you could buy 2 of them instead of 1 cable from Apple. I give it a 5/5 even with the minor things I have mentioned.

purchase @ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWKKO40/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

Attached Files:

2. TonyGstring macrumors member

or u can get an anker one for the same price, just sayin..

3. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

Not really sure what your point is?

4. Paco II macrumors 65816

Can you compare the quality of this cable with AmazonBasics version? Similar/better/worse?

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

How long have you had the cable for/ how long have you used it for?

6. bcc212 macrumors member

Eh? Apple replace broken cables if you take them in.

7. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

don't have the amazon cable

bout a week. i purposely bent it numerous times by putting it in a bag and pocket and everything trying to wear on the rubber to see any weakness

yes but who wants to constantly do that? plus i don't know a single person who has just ONE iPhone cable.

8. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Why is the plastic still in the cable like it is brand new? I think you work for tech matte.

9. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

LOL you can think what you want, maybe you should look at posts started by me and see I have tried various products dumbs. I took pics of it removed from the box, not after usage.