Review: The HyperJuice Adapter Lets You Charge Your AirPods Wirelessly, But It'll Cost You

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 11, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With Apple's AirPower still missing in action, accessory makers have started coming up with alternate solutions to allow the AirPods to charge using a Qi-based wireless charger.

Hyper's HyperJuice Wireless Charger Adapter is one such solution, adding wireless charging support to the AirPods for $50. The HyperJuice Adapter, which is made from a white plastic to match the AirPods, snaps on to the AirPods Charging Case.

[​IMG]

One side of the HyperJuice Adapter is shorter than the other, and this side is meant to be positioned at the back of the case to leave the Bluetooth button on the back of the AirPods accessible. The front side of the adapter is longer and comes up close to the lid of the AirPods.

I guess one side of the HyperJuice had to be longer to house the wireless charging coil, but with the long side of the HyperJuice Adapter positioned right at the lid of the case, it's a little bit harder to open the lid one handed with a thumb.

[​IMG]

Having the longer side at the front also made the whole setup feel backwards to me, especially because the front of the HyperJuice features the HyperJuice logo and FCC regulatory information.

[​IMG]

Inside of the adapter, there's a Lightning connector that plugs into the Lightning port of the AirPods Charging Case, which is how the wireless charging works. On the bottom of the adapter, there's a small green LED that lets you know when the HyperJuice Adapter is successfully charging with a wireless adapter.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: The HyperJuice Adapter Lets You Charge Your AirPods Wirelessly, But It'll Cost You

2. noraa macrumors regular

This seems wholely unnecessary, plus it adds a fair amount bulk to the case.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Bleh. Just as easy to drop it into a charging box, or plug it in.

4. Enclavean macrumors member

Enclavean

Why didnt they put the long part at the back.....

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

For $50? Definitely.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

7. moabal macrumors regular

I wouldn’t buy these. I purchased them a few weeks back. It worked great and as expected in the first week. Then it stopped working and started making a hissing sound when I put it on my Mophie Wireless charger. Had to ship it back to them for a refund even though I proved to them it was broken.

I am concerned it is a fire hazard so please do not buy it.

8. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

People like to talk about AirPower being vaporware, but what about the new AirPods they showed off with the wireless charging case? Not sure why they can’t release that without AirPower since it’s also Qi.

9. vega07 macrumors 65816

I made my own using a DIY wireless charging kit I bought from Amazon. That plus the price of the case was ~$20. Still works to this day. Have had it for about a year.

10. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

Just proves the saying "There's a mug born every minute"

11. nitramluap macrumors regular

Yeah, a battery pack for the battery pack to charge the batteries. OK then.

Solution looking for a problem... created by some greedy dimwit.

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

They'll be buying their 4th house and 6th car before too long, guaranteed. :p

13. axantas macrumors regular

axantas

A case for the case, just in case you need another case.

EDIT: oh - it just creates another problem: There are no cases to put the case with the case in a protective case.
    I warn you - I was first, I will sue everyone :D

14. nitramluap macrumors regular

Perhaps, but that requires hordes of even dumber people buying it... Oh, wait... :-/

15. greatestash macrumors member

greatestash

i recently bought this from Amazon and its working great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H3W1V7Y

and its much cheaper than hyperjuice :rolleyes:

16. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

How would you flip the case open if it was at the back?

This accessory is a waste of time considering Apple has already announced a wireless charging case for the AirPods even if it was delayed from original plans. It’s still coming unlike AirPower.

17. wilef macrumors newbie

wilef

It's like a series of Matryoshka dolls...

18. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

Soooo, you plug in this wireless charging case to the lightning port on the AirPods case? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of plugging something in?

The only reason why I see this being of benefit is that you don’t have to carry a wireless charger and a lightening cable. But for $50, I’ll deal with the extremely small inconvenience.

19. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

I found a $8 solution that works the same, although fairly ugly!
    Just get those qi wireless charing receiver with a lightning connector!

20. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I think I'll use one hand to hold my non-wireless charging case, the other hand to plug in the lightning cable, and blow the money I save on delicious coffees. Seems like a bulky non-essential item to me.

21. maxfromdenmark macrumors member

maxfromdenmark

22. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I can’t prove it, but to my eye it looks like the top of the taller side still falls below the hinge, so opening it shouldn’t be an issue. It’s a shame the MR author didn’t try flipping it to share the results.

Honestly I have not touched the button on the back of the case since I set my AirPods up. I’d be more worried about how this wireless charging case completely covers the existing lightning port. So I’d basically have to buy a Qi charger for anywhere I consistently use the AirPods, or separate the cases in some places so I can plug in a cable. Sounds like in that situation having a secondary case is creating more work.

23. Textime macrumors member

But I need a charger for a charger for another charger!

24. Zoboomafoo macrumors 6502

I’m working on the super hyper juice. It’s a wireless charger case that wirelessly charges hyper juice cases that wirelessly charges AirPod cases

25. TrulsZK macrumors newbie

I never use the Bluetooth button on my AirPods, so I thought about putting the longer side on the back anyway