Review: Tumi slim case for Unibody 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Mar 5, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I just received the Tumi slim large screen computer portfolio brief from their Alpha line.

You can see it pictured here:http://www.tumi.com/alpha/slim-large-screen-computer-portfolio-brief/

I must say that it looks much nicer in person! The construction is solid. I don't see the laptop denting if you drop it or bang it around while its in this case.

There is extra padding on the bottom.. then on top of that the laptop pouch is elevated above the bottom of the case so there is space between the bottom of the case and the bottom of the laptop.. then even on top of that there is even more padding on the bottom of the case. Now that is what I call SUPER protection..or should I say TRIPLE protection! Its not one-dimensional protection like that Incase Sleeve Plus (the slim bag with the pockets)..

Its foamed up inside so that you won't get any scratches on the laptop either. Its a perfect fit for the unibody 17 inch MBP. Fits like a glove, like it was designed just for it.

There are tons of little tiny slots (3 inside where you put the laptop, 4 inside one of the outer front pockets, 3 more inside the other outer pocket, and a large pouch in the back). You can add things in there like money, pens, coins, credit cards, business cards, etc.. There is even a sleeve that lets you put a handle of your other carry on roller thru it and stick this bag on top of your roller without have to worrying about it fall. Very cool.

This thing truely feels like its worth the $250, and i actually finally feel safe with a case that will keep my laptop protected without the need of extra sleeves. It also looks sleek... I don't need my Booq Vyper XL2 anymore thanks to this.. That's going on eBay..ha!

I even got it monogrammed in red (for free from the site) with my initials. So its completely matching black and red all around, just like all the other Tumi engraving on it.

There is even an extra pouch inside the main compartment for some notes, magazines, or books.

They also throw in a accessory pouch to put your charger or other goods in if you choose to use it.

Finally, there is also a builit-in tracer.. so if some kind soul ever found your lost laptop case they can turn it in to Tumi which can locate you and give it to you.

Really awesome. You get what you pay for.

I completely recommend it for anyone shopping for a case for their new 17" unibody MBP. You won't find a better brand name, looks, and protection all at once.

Attached Files:

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You just get redirected to the main Tumi homepage on that link, so i dont know which one you have :p

3. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the one called "Tumi slim large screen computer portfolio brief from their Alpha line" .. I mentioned it in the first line of my review!

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Are you talking about the Alpha Brown range in their notebook section? I was looking at those a few weeks ago, but wow they look expensive, i could buy a Macbook for the price of some of their bags! :p

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its black nylon for $250 .. I mentioned the color and price in my original post too..

It has a nice shoulder strap and other tumi goodies not shown in the photo.. and the black square patch is where they monogram ur initials in red..

If the above link didn't take u specifically to it.. here is a specific photo link:

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/f/147...rpen=1&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=80,1&hei=450&wid=360

6. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone else purchased or have comments about their Tumi bag?

7. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I have a Tumi wallet. I really like it because its the same size as a US dollar so its tiny in my pocket. I like to spend money but couldn't let myself spend over $200 for just a laptop bag.

8. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

i guess when u pay extra for a quality laptop its sometimes nice to get somethin quality to store it in. i really got it because now i dont have to use a second sleeve for it, its well protected alone without additional accessories now.

9. macdee macrumors newbie

amitdoc2b:

I'm searching for the perfect bag for my mbp17, and this tumi alpha brief is definitely one of the top choices. One problem I noticed while checking out this bag at a shop is it's hard to pull out the macbook from the compartment. The dimensions fits perhaps a little too well and the placements of the opening makes it rather easy to rub or scratch the laptop against the zippers. Have you experienced this at all?

Another issue with a compartment fitting perfectly: there is no space for a sleeve, which will allow additional protection when removing laptop from the bag through airport security.

10. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are right, the fit is a bit too perfect. But this is not an issue with the zippers, it hits the inner lining.. not the zippers. If you want to play it safer you can retract and pull back the top of the case when taking out the laptop too, then it hits nothing. But no, it does not scratch even if not retracted. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any other questions.

If you position the laptop in the bag correctly, just to be extra safer, it can be positioned so that the lining hits the bottom of the case rather than the top. But have not had any problems whatsoever. Its worth the extra caution to take out slowly, considering how well protected it is.. this is something Incase or Booq sleeves did not give me if dropped from a significant height. Tumi will keep it protected even from a somewhat high drop.

11. bossxii macrumors 68000

The dimensions (if I'm reading it right) show 1.25" thick? I clicked your link to check out the bag, looks nice but that seems pretty thin measurement based on the pictures. Did I miss read something?

12. emotta macrumors member

tumi makes great bags! i had one for my 15 and it was great. i now have a 17 so i purchased a samsonite black label sevruga backpack. super nice!

13. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

The laptop is less than an inch thick.. so not sure exactly what your question was? Wouldn't mind clarifying it for u tho..

14. bossxii macrumors 68000

Whooops lol. I miss read it, I followed your link and was curious about the size of the bag.

External Dimensions:
    13" x 17.5" x 3" (HxWxD)
    Laptop Compartment Dimensions:
    10.75" x 15.75" x 1.25" (HxWxD)

Took a second look and realized I was reading the "interior" vs overall outside lol. I was like wow how in the heck can the outside be that thin and have any padding :p Now it makes sense lol.

Is there just the one compartment for the laptop and is there room for say the 85w power brick? or say a 2.5" external drive? You mentioned other pockets, would any of them be large enough for these two items? I carry my external and the power brick pretty much any time I leave the house in my current bag.

Thanks.

15. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

The interior compartment is divided with a laptop pouch and for textbooks. Instead of books you can put the power brick AND the external drive in there with room to spare. Then there is an external pouch on the back and two more in the front where you can add various other stuff.

16. brandon.vong macrumors regular

So it IS possible to use the Tumi bag for textbooks as well? If so, how many would you say?