Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air models have been available for two weeks now, and MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera has been using the 15-inch version since it launched. Over on our YouTube channel, Dan shared a review now that he's been able to spend some quality time with the machine.

The M3 MacBook Air is a perfect all-around laptop, and the Air models are what we recommend for most people. In fact, the M3 MacBook Air is more machine than the average consumer likely even needs. For web browsing, sending emails, and other simple tasks, a more affordable M1 MacBook Air or M2 MacBook Air is more than enough, and the M1 MacBook Air is even available at a super low $650 price right now.

For photo editing, video editing, and tasks that require a little more power, even the base model M3 MacBook Air with 8GB Unified Memory is more than enough for many people. Upgrading the memory will give you a bit more leeway in terms of future proofing, and adding more storage is a good idea if you need space for file storage, games, and apps.

Compared to the M2 MacBook Air, the M3 has faster CPU and GPU speeds, hardware-accelerated ray tracing and mesh shading for 3D rendering and games, Wi-Fi 6E support, and support for two displays in clamshell mode. If you need these options, or don't mind shelling out a bit more money for a machine that will last longer, it's worth getting the M3, but we also think the more affordable M1 and M2 MacBook Air models are perfectly great for many people.

Article Link: Review: Two Weeks With the M3 MacBook Air

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Needs SD Card slot like MBA used have. Death to Dongletown. MBP is overkill for most people and non-Pro-chip M3 MBP should not exist, to further power-differentiate both lines. Every MBP should have four Thunderbolt 4 ports (currently some had two and some have three). MBP should be sold in two sizes: 14.4" and 16.2".

MBA is the best form factor for most in terms of thickness and heft, has better battery life, and should be sold in small and medium sizes: 13" and 14.4". SD Card is a handy port to have for many users. And I believe they should do what it takes design wise to include HDMI, to make MBA a more real-world-practical machine for everyone—the office worker; the teacher; the amateur photographer; the event coordinator; the conference attendee; the student, and so on. The weight, chonk, power, fans, upgradability, and professional display of MBP most people do not need. A basic useable compliment of ports in 2024 all Macs need, to make all Macs fully interoperable in the real world.

Last edited:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I have the 15" M3 with 16/512GB. Very happy with it. The last Mac I used was a ~2012 Air just after my Late '08 MacBook died on me after 4 years.

Can't think of any negatives of using the new Air. I love it.

I can't talk about how the M3 compares to an M1/M2 or the last Intel models and I don't use it for anything heavy but it's handled everything I've asked of it.

If you can afford an M3 with 16GB then go for it but I suppose there is no shame in grabbing an M2 or M1. I am not sure I would recommend getting a 24GB Air. The RAM itself isn't the problem but I think if you need 24GB then you're probably better off with an MBP.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I can't talk about how the M3 compares to an M1/M2

Then why "downvote" my post mentioning that MKBHD (who DOES have experience with all the M Air models) said most Air buyers should really just buy the older ones and save money?

Edit:
What do you find so funny?

(God I hate the "laugh emoji" -- so consistently misused)

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 13.26.42.png

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The gadget freak in me wants the new shiny thing, but fortunately/unfortunately the M1 Air I have is not holding me back in any way. I just can't justify the spend!

Unless my needs change, right now the only thing that would move the needle for me would be an ultralight akin to that old Retina MacBook.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Then why "downvote" my post mentioning that MKBHD (who DOES have experience with them all) said most Air buyers should really just buy the older ones and save money?
I didn't downvote anything. I just disagreed with you lol.

There is nothing wrong with the M3. If people want to buy it then they should. If you're trying to save money then yes by all means get an older machine. If you can afford an M3 and want it to last as long as possible then get M3.

I could've bought an M2 15" last year but I wanted to jump in with M3 and the recently released Sonoma OS to ensure that I get the most support out of it. It's not a huge difference as I'm sure the M2 15" will be supported a long time yet but I like to wait to the right time to buy my products.

I'm not the kind of person who would pick up an iPhone 15 in 2024 or 2025. I bought it day 1 in 2023. That's just me though and again there is nothing wrong with going with M2 or even M1. It's just silly to say that people shouldn't care about the M3. There are valid reasons to buy it.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
If you want a lightweight easy to handle laptop computer with a 15.3" (ie, pretty close to 16") screen, the M3 15" laptop is the way to go.

My wife is buying one as soon as B&H has them in stock. Might get one myself. I've had an M1 MBA for a couple years now, but the 13" screen is a drawback for me.

Wildsau

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
I don't get where the Air has a stigma around it according to the reviewer. I don't know anyone who thinks that. I mean, I get that some people think it's become too pricey or there are things they aren't thrilled with, but I have never really felt that there is some weird stigma around owning an Air versus a Pro or whatever else. Frankly, the Air is one of the best-selling laptops in the world! That doesn't say "stigma" to me. Am I missing something?

Jody Hewell

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
South Florida

The latest 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air models have been available for two weeks now, and MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera has been using the 15-inch version since it launched. Over on our YouTube channel, Dan shared a review now that he's been able to spend some quality time with the machine.

The M3 MacBook Air is a perfect all-around laptop, and the Air models are what we recommend for most people. In fact, the M3 MacBook Air is more machine than the average consumer likely even needs. For web browsing, sending emails, and other simple tasks, a more affordable M1 MacBook Air or M2 MacBook Air is more than enough, and the M1 MacBook Air is even available at a super low $650 price right now.

For photo editing, video editing, and tasks that require a little more power, even the base model M3 MacBook Air with 8GB Unified Memory is more than enough for many people. Upgrading the memory will give you a bit more leeway in terms of future proofing, and adding more storage is a good idea if you need space for file storage, games, and apps.

Compared to the M2 MacBook Air, the M3 has faster CPU and GPU speeds, hardware-accelerated ray tracing and mesh shading for 3D rendering and games, Wi-Fi 6E support, and support for two displays in clamshell mode. If you need these options, or don't mind shelling out a bit more money for a machine that will last longer, it's worth getting the M3, but we also think the more affordable M1 and M2 MacBook Air models are perfectly great for many people.

Article Link: Review: Two Weeks With the M3 MacBook Air
Any issues with heat or overheating? Lots of discussion on the forums about this model overheating. Surprised no mention of it here.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Got a 13" M3 Air with 16GB/512 for my son studying ArchiCAD. He just got the software. Hopefully will be a solid computer until he becomes proficient on the software and then later upgrade to a MBP for more complex work. He has two weeks to test it and if is not good enough, we'll return it.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Needs SD Card slot like MBA used have. Death to Dongletown. MBP is overkill for most people and non-Pro-chip M3 MBP should not exist, to further power-differentiate both lines. Every MBP should have four Thunderbolt 4 ports (currently some had two and some have three). MBP should be sold in two sizes: 14.4" and 16.2".

MBA is the best form factor for most in terms of thickness and heft, has better battery life, and should be sold in small and medium sizes: 13" and 14.4". SD Card is a handy port to have for many users. And I believe they should do what it takes design wise to include HDMI, to make MBA a more real-world-practical machine for everyone—the office worker; the teacher; the amateur photographer; the event coordinator; the conference attendee; the student, and so on. The weight, chonk, power, fans, upgradability, and professional display of MBP most people do not need. A basic useable compliment of ports in 2024 all Macs need, to make all Macs fully interoperable.

While we're making wishes, give me an Ethernet port.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
I have only used a 2019 13 inch MacBook Pro. Besides the notch how do the current Air model displays compare to that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.