Review: Vaja Classic Retro Slim Bag for iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by OasisNYK, Jul 29, 2008.

1. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

My girlfriend and I both bought iPhone 3G's 16 gig Black for me, 16 gig White for her. I figured that such a beautiful piece of technology should have a case that is worthy of it, and did not want something that would cover up the beauty of this phone while I use it. My goal was to find a case the phone could slide in to protect it when not in use, and easily slide out of when I need it.

I have been looking at the Vaja site for a while for various cases and decided the Classic Retro Slim Bag was the case for me. I ordered two cases in Plain Vitelino leather, one in Azzuro/Torrone for myself, and Sabia/Desert Sand for my girlfriend.

It took about 17 days since the time I ordered to receive the cases. They came in nice white boxes with the Vaja insignia on them. Inside the cases come along with some pictures of other products. Now the important stuff:

Build Quality: The leather is really nice, it is shinier than the pictures on the website, but looks great. The stitching is awesome and you can tell they were put together well. The insignia on my Azzuro case caused some slight damage to the blue leather (some small white spots) which I e-mailed them about. Not a big deal but I expect a little more for the price. The Sabia case is perfect and both looks better than the picture from the website.

Usability: Since both cases are new, it is a tight fit with the iPhone. They should expand with use though, but for now it is hard getting the phone in and out of the case. If you put the phone in speaker end first, you have to turn the ringer volume all the way up since it is muffled by the case. You could also put the phone in upside down to prevent this. Most of the time I keep my phones on vibrate so I am not sure this will be an issue, although the vibration on the iPhone is a little weak.

Size: It adds almost no bulk to the phone when its in my pocket which is something that is important to me. It also provides adequate protection from keys, change, lint etc.

Finally, I am pretty sure I placed an order for Azzure/Torrone but they shipped me Azzure/Sabia. Not a huge issue as I decided before they shipped that I liked the Sabia stripe better - but still it is a little strange. I sent them an e-mail about the damage and the color mix up but overall I am happy with the case.

Below are pictures of the cases, the Sabia coloring came out lighter with the iPhone's camera, it is a much darker tan in person but looks good.

Attached Files:

2. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

What kind of protection do these offer from drops? Not much I'd guess?

3. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Dude, what's the point of putting the phone in a case like that...pain in the ass to take it out everytime. You probably need another case to protect the phone, and then insert it into this case.

4. OasisNYK thread starter macrumors 6502

No protection if you are using the phone and you drop it since it will be out of the case. If you drop it in the case it should protect every side except the uncovered top portion.

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

I agree, not a fan. Total pain in the butt to remove. I absolutely adore the Griffin Elan Form case. Great protection (stop worrying about scratching the screen - it's VERY unlikely), and you can use it immediately you take the phone out of your pocket!

6. OasisNYK thread starter macrumors 6502

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - not a fan of the Griffin. This case is exactly what I was looking for, just simple pocket protection - nothing more. I like the style.

7. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I have to agree with the OP. I personally don't like those style of cases, but it is their phones and money, so who are we to judge? My complaint is that I'd have a heck of a time getting my iPhone out in time to take a call.

Glad you guys like them though. Please feel free to update the thread once the leather has stretched out a little and offers easier entry/exit for your iPhones.

*Edit - the iVolution SP looks pretty nice, I just can't see spending $80+ on a case.

8. iPhanatic macrumors member

It looks great! Not sure what everyone else is talking about.

9. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

The more I check out the website, the more the other cases are growing on me. I'll never hear the end of it from my wife if I spend $85+ on a case though. Hmm, maybe I could do a stealth purchase...:D

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

He posted it on this blog for comment, so naturally we are here to judge...

11. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

That by far is the worst iPhone case I have ever seen next to the Otterbox.

12. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. I guess I'm still hearing my mother from all those years ago: "If you don't have anything nice to say...." :cool:

13. OasisNYK thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I posted it so other people would have a good idea of what the case is like since Vaja seems to be a popular thread topic around here but not many reviews/pictures of their stuff.

14. View macrumors regular

I agree with the op, and thank you for taking your time review and post it on here.

Like it or not, it depends on a person's taste.

15. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Oh ok, so lock the thread up if you don't want opinions of others.

16. automatickyle macrumors regular

When the hell did he say he didn't want opinions? He was providing a review and obviously has no problem with those who want to voice their opinion or who don't think these cases are their cup of tea, such as you. State your opinion and move on.

As for Oasis, thank you for posting these up. Unlike many of the people here who are bickering, I appreciate you taking the time to give a fair and detailed review on these. As one user said, please update us on how the leather breaks in. I believe it will because the leather from my Vaja Ivolution on the old iPhone looked better with wear. If I go with a Vaja case this time around on the new phone I will most likely go with the iVolution, but thank you again for the review.

17. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

Thank you for taking the time to do just that.:)

18. dmize macrumors newbie

I'd have to agree

19. patcase86 macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the review! I was thinking about getting the same case (although the $45 is a bit steep). The dark chocolate/tan combo is just too tempting... I just wasn't sure about the bulk. Now that you have reviewed it, I will most likely buy it.

20. JimmyCorrigan macrumors newbie

21. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks so much! A few things:

1) I don't like the color choices at all. That's why I ordered mine in black :) Completely personal choices here - I think the negative reaction is due to the fact that the people who posted don't like blue/pink.

2) I don't want you to go out of your way - but do you think you could post some higher res/quality photos? They're a little blurry and I know that the texture of the leather is way nicer than that based on other pictures of vaja cases. This is a case that is hardly documented since the iPhone 3G is so new and it would be great to have some high res pics.

3) I was in the same boat as you - I don't want to leave the iPhone covered in something the entire time. What's the point of having a cool phone if it's always covered up? Who cares if it gets an extra scratch or two while you're using it? The pouch is exactly what I wanted. I'm glad too that you say it doesn't offer extra bulk - something I was a bit worried about. Also, which country are you in? The case only takes 15 days to handcraft so 2 days shipping is good.

Also, people, note that this isn't priced at typical vaja-prices - this case is only 45$ and not 80 (I ordered the other type of leather since I don't like the cracks).

Thanks again for the nice review!

22. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

you sound like as if the OP set your puppy on fire and Vaja kicked your kitten or something :confused: chill.

to the OP...how thick is the leather? according to Vaja's site they claim to only use full grain leather hides but i have a hard time gauging the thickness.

23. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Huh? Are you talking about my quote?

24. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

no...i was referencing to ubersalad sounding like a douche.

25. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I understand.