Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If you use an essential oil diffuser make sure your choice of oil isn't toxic to your pet.

Not only animals, but people. Some people have severe chemical sensitivities who can get ill just passing by someone wearing perfume. Homes are already fairly polluted from indoor contaminants from cooking, cleaning, etc. There was an article about how the indoor air in India is more polluted that that outdoors, which is rather amazing given the air quality there. Adding an additional stress to your immune system which is not needed is not a great idea.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Christ, can we quit with the Internet Luddite BS. Maybe the item isn't meaningful for you but no one wants to wade through 10 posts about it.
Nah. Something this stupid isn’t worth the resources it takes to manufacture in the first place. Who the hell needs to scent to room they’re not in?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
As much ridicule as this has gotten, if you step back and think without judgement for a second, you’ll see that this actually makes a lot of scents... :rolleyes:

I have a dog and even though I don’t smell “eau de chien” in my house, my guests do. So, I run a diffuser to neutralize any dog smell. The problem is, it’s either on all the time, all day, even when I’m out, or I turn it off to save the essential oils but never remember to turn it on. Who wants to have to turn on a diffuser every time they get home in addition to all the other things you do when you arrive? And same for when you leave?

Home automation is about letting your home do all the little things of managing itself, without your direct intervention. It’s no more “lazy” than letting a machine wash your clothes or a robot vacuum doing an automated daily cleanup while you’re away.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
As much ridicule as this has gotten, if you step back and think without judgement for a second, you’ll see that this actually makes a lot of scents... :rolleyes:

I have a dog and even though I don’t smell “eau de chien” in my house, my guests do. So, I run a diffuser to neutralize any dog smell. The problem is, it’s either on all the time, all day, even when I’m out, or I turn it off to save the essential oils but never remember to turn it on. Who wants to have to turn on a diffuser every time they get home in addition to all the other things you do when you arrive? And same for when you leave?

Home automation is about letting your home do all the little things of managing itself, without your direct intervention. It’s no more “lazy” than letting a machine wash your clothes or a robot vacuum doing an automated daily cleanup while you’re away.

This is exactly why this device is a good idea.

If only I could set timers for devices in HomeKit, for the exact same reason as you have (only mine are cats). I have a pair of Yankee Candle's "dumb" Scenterpiece tart warmers plugged into a smart plug. Sure, I can turn it on and off on a whim, but I can't set "turn on plug for 3 hours." The work around being that I schedule it explicitly and also set a turn off automation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.