Review (with pics): Speck Pixelskin HD for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SR71, Sep 24, 2012.

1. SR71, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

SR71 macrumors 68000

So, I just received my Speck Pixelskin HD case in the mail and figured I'd write up a quick mini-review with some pics of the case.

Fit: It fits nicely, the iPhone doesn't shift around inside of the case and everything is snug. It's not hard to put on, nor is it hard to remove like other TPU cases (I'm looking at you, Incipio NGP for iPhone 4/4s). Everything is nice and snug.

Ports/Cutouts: All ports are open and easily accessible. The sleep/wake button and the volume controls are all covered, but are easy to push, requiring no extra effort for them to be activated. There is a small cutout for the ring/silent switch, but big enough to easily fit a finger inside of without having to use your nails. The speaker, microphone, lightning connector, camera/flash, all have cutouts that are nicely sized. Also, for those wondering, the case doesn't have any negative effects when the flash is used to take pictures. It doesn't wash out the pictures or anything, so no need to worry about that happening.

Overall: This is a decent case and at $30, I'd say it's also decently priced. It seems to be made of high quality TPU material giving it some flexibility, while also staying rigid. If you're in the market for a case for your iPhone 5, I'd definitely give this one a shot.

P.S. All pictures were taken with my iPhone 5:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. swiftfix macrumors newbie

I received my Pixelskin HD today as well, but I think I will be sending mine back. I'm really unhappy with the fit of the case. I feel that it is just slightly too wide for the iPhone 5. When I wiggle the phone in my hand I can absolutely feel a separation between the case and the phone. Do you notice this with your case too?

If it is unique to my case, then I may just ask for a replacement. For $30, there really is no reason that this piece of rubber/plastic/tpu/whatever should not fit like a glove. For $10 less, my wife's Soft Shell Rocketfish is much nicer fitting.

3. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I didn't see them at first either but reloaded the thread and they are there now. Thanks for the review.

4. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Strange, mine is snug and doesn't have that issue. I still don't know if I'm going to keep mine, though. I much prefer silicone cases to TPU. TPU is to hard for my tastes, and I'm afraid grime will collect in it and scratch the back just like a hard plastic case would. I'll just go to the Verizon store and pick up a nice black silicone case I think.

Should be up now.

5. slacka macrumors member

You should try to replace yours. I bought mine from Speck directly and all it takes is a quite online chat session to have mine replaced. The problem with my case was the pointed/sharp edges at the back of the case. It's quite uncomfortable to hold the phone. My iPhone 4/4S Pixelskin HD doesn't have the same issue. The CSR told me it's not supposed to be sharp. Hopefully the replacement unit will not have the same issue.

6. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

After using the case for a couple hours I've noticed that the sides don't seem to be very snug. Putting slight pressure on the sides, such as when you grip the phone, will cause the case to push in a little. Definitely going to return this and just stick with a nice silicone case. Much prefer those over TPU.

7. anealion macrumors newbie

I received my Pixelskin HD today after using the model for the 4 for years and the edges on the back are also kind of shark and not as comfortable to hold. The case is also a little less rigid than the Iphone 4 model, which I am not a fan of. The fit however, seems to be pretty solid. I did email customer service about the back edge though, if this is how they all are, I will be returning mine