Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Whisper it. But I think it's safe to say now that Apple took their eye off the ball when they had to innovate "something ... please... anything" and came up with ... this. The iDoorstop. Not a tablet. Not a notebook. Not what we really needed actually. And shoving a big keyboard on it only compounds the issue. Let's all sit down. Take a deep breath. And start afresh. We need new Mac OS kit. Not ... this .... thing.

Reactions: robeddie

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
For God's sake, Apple, just make a Macbook Pro that has a detachable keyboard. When the keyboard is on, OS X, when you take it off, iOS. For crying out loud, I'm sick of having two products that could really quite easily be merged, just because you are holding on to some out-dated (or never realistic) notion that people want a 13 inch iPhone experience.

mimeArtist

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
For God's sake, Apple, just make a Macbook Pro that has a detachable keyboard. When the keyboard is on, OS X, when you take it off, iOS. For crying out loud, I'm sick of having two products that could really quite easily be merged, just because you are holding on to some out-dated (or never realistic) notion that people want a 13 inch iPhone experience.
Yeah Apple, 'just' make one... god damn it! :D

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta

Oh boy, now you're gonna get it. A lot of people here are going to remind you that Apple makes things we want - before we even realize it. After all ...

> Think of all the people saying 'thank goodness my desktop imac is so thin and less upgradeable'
>
The thankful masses who cant beleive their luck that they can now access that limited phone os on a giant screen
> And all those people saying 'I'm so relived I no longer have to carry around my terribly heavy 2014 11-inch macbook air, and I now have a slightly lighter, super underpowered macbook'
> And then the huge throng of people saying to themselves, 'This is so awesome I can now play angry birds on my Apple TV, to hell the the content deal we were hearing about!'

The list goes on (I'm looking at you, Apple Watch) but I hope you now see, we just didn't realize how desperately we needed these things, until Apple showed us the way.

But then there's grumpy old fogies like you, who seem to think that old adage about Apple needs to be updated to:
'Apple makes things people realize how much they don't want -once they make it.'

Last edited:

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Running a desktop operating system that will never work well with touch and somehow thinking it will somehow work out is THE outdated notion.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Whisper it. But I think it's safe to say now that Apple took their eye off the ball when they had to innovate "something ... please... anything" and came up with ... this. The iDoorstop. Not a tablet. Not a notebook. Not what we really needed actually. And shoving a big keyboard on it only compounds the issue. Let's all sit down. Take a deep breath. And start afresh. We need new Mac OS kit. Not ... this .... thing.

It doesn't make sense to add touch to OS X. It would require too much effort, and would force Apple to either 1) switch iPads to Intel (breaking compatibility with the existing apps), 2) switch OS X to ARM (which would be slow), or 3) emulate one platform on the other (which would be slow and use up battery).

Realistically, Apple can expand iOS' capabilities so that it addresses more users' needs. But it can't go down the path that Microsoft has. Heck, even Microsoft didn't really want to go down this path, but had no choice since Windows Phone never got any traction. Windows Desktop doesn't scale well to mobile, and even with Windows 10, they are struggling to get developers to write for the Modern UI.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
It doesn't make sense to add touch to OS X. It would require too much effort, and would force Apple to either 1) switch iPads to Intel (breaking compatibility with the existing apps), 2) switch OS X to ARM (which would be slow), or 3) emulate one platform on the other (which would be slow and use up battery).

Realistically, Apple can expand iOS' capabilities so that it addresses more users' needs. But it can't go down the path that Microsoft has. Heck, even Microsoft didn't really want to go down this path, but had no choice since Windows Phone never got any traction. Windows Desktop doesn't scale well to mobile, and even with Windows 10, they are struggling to get developers to write for the Modern UI.

Yea well the sh-- Apple is trying is totally missing the mark too. So all we know is whatever the supposed 'future' is ... Neither Microsoft nor Apple have a bead on it.

beq

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
So comparing the weights:

The Zagg Slim Book for iPad Pro is heaviest at over 2.4 lbs.

The Logitech Create and upcoming BrydgePro (as well as the iPad Pro tablet itself) each weighs almost 1.6 lbs.

The Apple Smart Keyboard is lightest at under 0.75 lb.

Note that the Smart Keyboard and BrydgePro won't by themselves protect the rear of the iPad Pro. But Apple sells a silicone rear case to complement the Smart Keyboard, and Brydge will (likely) also sell a clear polycarbonate rear case to complement the BrydgePro. I wonder how much each of these rear cases adds to the weight?

Last edited:

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
Running a desktop operating system that will never work well with touch and somehow thinking it will somehow work out is THE outdated notion.

No, I don't want to use touch in my desktop OS. I want it to be a normal desktop OS when I have a keyboard (and mouse) attached. When it is a tablet, I want to use iOS. So, nope, not thinking outdated, but rather with common sense.

It is really simple, very convenient, and really wouldn't take much to implement (well it would, but it is more than doable, I am saying).

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I steered clear of the third party keyboard/cases so far. The Apple solution works great, and does not add a lot of weight compared to what I've seen to date. The only thing I don't like about the Apple Keyboard is that it is a little floppy on the lap. I usually just locate a flat surface, or use on of my lap boards I had for my laptops/iPad2. For what I use the iPP for I find I don't need a laptop. Would I like a laptop for personal use (I have a late 2009 MBP from work). Yes, I will probably go with the next generation Air or rMB. I had a 12" rMB, but gave it to my kid.

I think Apple has provided a full array of solutions. Sometimes third party add ons are not the best way to go.

kennethbokor

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2015
ZAGG Slim Book for iPad Pro

I just received my SB for iPad Pro yesterday and it was worth the 3-week shipping wait.

This is exactly what I need for my iPad Pro. Zagg is known for their high quality and functional keyboards and this does not disappoint. The keyboard is fantastic even with MacBook/Laptop feel, movement and sound. I'm typing this entire review on it and it's easy. It came already charged and easy to pair. Comes on very fast and any keys you type while it is coming on are saved and then displayed (from sleep mode). The case part of this set up is also much better than what I expected. It is made of thicker plastic than the versions for iPad Air 2 and Mini, which I have read and heard many complaints can concerns about being too flimsy and breaking. This iPad Pro version is much thicker and not flimsy. It adds good protection and easy access to all buttons, speakers and plugs. The headphone jack does also support 90 degree type connectors like those of my Bose Quietcomfort Headphones, it plugs in no problem.

The iPad Pro snaps into the case very solidly and once in, there is no movement or loose parts of the case. I would not try to take it out and put it back in a lot however as the fit is very tight and snug. The case part is very easy to insert into the hinge and it works great. Movement is easy and controlled and it's easy to remove the case from the hinge.

The main reason I got this was for the multiple viewing angles in keyboard mode, video mode and case mode. Also book mode is fine but it would be heavy to carry around since the Slim Book does double the weight of the iPad Pro. However this works well and it's nice to have the keyboard with you at all times in case you need it when out and about.

Overall, I give this a 5 out of 5. Solidly built and very versatile. I also made a short video review as well and here is the link:

DIsclaimer: I do not work for Zagg or anyone associated with them. I use my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro for home and business use.

Reactions: HeatherA and sracer

DeusFever

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
I agree on the weight and the keyboard. The keyboard is fantastic. It's just like my old MacBook. The weight is terrible. Is it lead lined? The keyboard needs to be heavy enough to prevent tipping but Zagg went too far. For that much weight it should have a spare iPad battery.

What I really want is an iPad Pro sized version of the Logitech ultra thin keyboard I bought for my iPad 2.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
It would have been very very helpful to list the weight of only the rear cover as that would be the way people use the device portably and ultimately for most the weight that matters the most. Under five pounds, whether it's 3 or 4 to me doesn't matter much if a keyboard is sitting on a surface bearing the weight. What matters to me is when I want to use it as a tablet - how much weight is added.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
IMO this is the BEST Bluetooth keyboard set up for the iPad Pro for the same reasons it's the worst keyboard for the iPad Pro.

The user experience(for typing tasks) is almost identical to a MacBook Pro, minus a trackpad/mouse, but that user experience also removes the benefits of using a tablet(light/mobility).

Gardeneva

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Maryland
I just went through 2 of these with my iPad Mini 4. The keyboard is great, the case is HORRIBLE. As the writer lists, it is a VERY tight fit and the case breaks very easily. The first one I bought had a corner break while trying to put the iPad into the case. The 2nd one broke around the volume buttons just by me gently pressing on the case around that area. Both breaks happened less than 12 hours of using each one.

I would not suggest this product at all unless you want pay the premium for the keyboard and use a different case...of course then the case will not connect so nicely to the keyboard. :\

I'm usually a fan of Zagg products, but this one needs some work.
[doublepost=1473459154][/doublepost]I love my ZAGG Slim Book for my iPad Pro 12" ..... However be aware they have a faulty hinge issue and I have had to return mine twice. After about a 4 month period the hinge will get so tight and hard to move, causing your iPad to jump up and out of the seating when trying to move your screen back to a proper viewing angle. FRUSTRATING and potentially picking your iPad up out of the floor hoping it has not shattered. Twice I have had to fight for ZAGG to cover return shipment costs for their faulty merchandise. I guess when my 1 year warranty period is up I will be SOL. I have even tried lubricating the hinge with no luck. Like I said .... FRUSTRATING!!!! If they could solve or remedy the hinge situation I would be 100% happy with my purchase.
[doublepost=1473459419][/doublepost]I love my ZAGG Slim Book for iPad Pro 12" ..... However be aware they have a faulty hinge issue and I have had to return mine twice. After about a 4 month period the hinge will get so tight and hard to move, causing your iPad to jump up and out of the seating when trying to move your screen backwards to a proper viewing angle. FRUSTRATING and with the potential of picking your iPad up out of the floor hoping it has not shattered. Twice I have had to fight for ZAGG to cover return shipment costs for their faulty merchandise. I guess when my 1 year warranty period is up I will be SOL. I have even tried lubricating the hinge with no luck. Like I said .... FRUSTRATING!!!! If they could solve or remedy the hinge situation I would be 100% happy with my purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.