Review: Zens Liberty Wireless Charger is a Solid AirPower Alternative With Room for Two Qi Devices and Apple Watch

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
How can it be an “alternative” to something that doesn’t even exist? Please redo this misleading headline.
For those who were waiting for the AirPower that never was, this product seems like a good alternative to me. Another might be to wait for Apple’s version, assuming they can get the Watch to work. No one else has been able to; hopefully Apple will, at some point.

Failing that, this product seems to be a decent solution.

Syrgul

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
That protruding Apple Watch charging point is the deal breaker for me...it’s not a true alternative to Apple’s original concept and therefore not worth the price they’re asking for.

Go back to the drawing boards and make it a flat all-in-one!
Actually, that Apple Watch charger is about the only thing I like about this whole setup. I don't really need to have multiple devices charging on the same mat. Wife's phone is on her side of the bed, mine on mine.

But that Watch charger might be just the solution I've been looking for to have a highly portable watch puck when travelling. I'm going to have to look closer at that and see if it'll work well with my Native Union USB adapter I travel with.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
But that Watch charger might be just the solution I've been looking for to have a highly portable watch puck when travelling. I'm going to have to look closer at that and see if it'll work well with my Native Union USB adapter I travel with.
I keep one of the 0.3m (12") watch chargers in my travel kit.

FYI - there are also several non-cord puck options on the market. Here's an example to get you started (not recommending this one, just an example) https://www.amazon.com/NEWDERY-Cordless-Portable-Wireless-Magnetic/dp/B07ZFVYNRQ

Reactions: CarlJ

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I have one phone with those slim magnets between the case and phone for use with a magnetic car mount. The other phone has a case with one of those built-in stands/finger holders.

Would I have to remove the magnets prior to using with this or any wireless charger?

How about the phone case with the built-in stand, can you place the phone face down to charge?

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I have one phone with those slim magnets between the case and phone for use with a magnetic car mount. The other phone has a case with one of those built-in stands/finger holders.

Would I have to remove the magnets prior to using with this or any wireless charger?

How about the phone case with the built-in stand, can you place the phone face down to charge?
Depends on where the magnets are located relative to the Qi charging coil inside the phone. (and are they really magnets, or just a piece of metal) I'd keep the area free of magnets -- if you look at the Scosche magnetic mount Qi chargers, the magnets are to the side of the coils.

As for charging face down, I don't believe that works.

Reactions: crees!

FreddyJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
Ireland
If you don't need the "place anywhere" aspect, Ikea sells a three device charger for $40.

You have to center the devices on any of the three spots, so not as nice... but it is also $100 cheaper.
- - Post merged: - -

I also think folks who haven't used Qi charging don't realize the potential paradigm shift.

Cable charging is always a conscious act - you must be intentional about it since it requires the additional action of plugging in the cable.

With a couple Qi pads placed in your usual spots where you'd set your phone down anyway, charging becomes more unintentional. I find this most apparent at the office - with cables I'd usually not bother plugging in since I am so often leaving my desk for meetings or whatever. With a Qi pad where I lay my phone, it's always charged at the end of the day -- without my taking any distinct action.

And at 7.5W charging capability on an iphone, that's faster than the included 5W brick anyway.
Just moved my charging pad (Samsung) for my iPhone into the my office. I work from home and use my phone at my side to keep track in incoming Skypes etc etc etc. 'Cos I can just place it down on the pad, means it is fully charged at the end of the day. Normally, had I to run a USB cable from a port on my iMac, I wouldn't have bothered.

I like the idea of the ZEN. I'm sick to death of wires everywhere. had a 5 doc USB charger and it was just like spaghetti junction. It does seem a stepp price tag but almost worth it, especially if you're a three phone family or have several devices.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I like the idea of the ZEN. I'm sick to death of wires everywhere. had a 5 doc USB charger and it was just like spaghetti junction. It does seem a stepp price tag but almost worth it, especially if you're a three phone family or have several devices.
Yes, it has a pretty high price tag -- which is why I suggested the $40 three-pad Ikea charger. One cable, three charging spots. But you have to put your devices atop one of the three + marked pads rather than just anywhere.

Reactions: CarlJ

FreddyJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
Ireland
Yes, it has a pretty high price tag -- which is why I suggested the $40 three-pad Ikea charger. One cable, three charging spots. But you have to put your devices atop one of the three + marked pads rather than just anywhere.
Yep - was chatting with my Mrs last night. It does seem a lot to pay just for the privilege of being ablr to out your phone anywhere. If you've got more than one, chances are you'll end up putting them in a staright line anyway. She's just upgraded to the 11 and I'm doing the same this week. If we went for the Ikea option, we could actually put one in the kitchen for us to use and one in the office aswell. Looks very much like a shopping trip this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

FreddyJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
Ireland
Yep - was chatting with my Mrs last night. It does seem a lot to pay just for the privilege of being ablr to out your phone anywhere. If you've got more than one, chances are you'll end up putting them in a staright line anyway. She's just upgraded to the 11 and I'm doing the same this week. If we went for the Ikea option, we could actually put one in the kitchen for us to use and one in the office aswell. Looks very much like a shopping trip this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.
mmm no three pad charger on their site! https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/wireless-charging-accessories-41069/?sort=ratingDesc