Reviewers Suspicious

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by denisvj, Jan 28, 2016.

1. denisvj macrumors regular

denisvj

Am I the only one that find these reviewers suspicious for this app in the AppStore ?

sus.jpg

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No, it does look like those reviews were bought by the developer.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

Common practice, which is why you can not trust the reviews (for the most part) that are displayed in the App Store.

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Macupdate has this also. Many dev don't want you to know what nation they are from.

5. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Given how the five-star reviews share the same lack of spaces between sentences, I wouldn't be surprised if all of them were written by the same person.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

New App. Really odd star distribution; no 3 or 2 stars. The dev may have even bought a couple 4* just to make things not totally bogus looking. He should've covered at least one of the middle range.
    Those 1*s are devastating. I'd not try it.

7. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

This is the key. Some basic statistics knowledge about the shape of normal distributions goes a long way in immediately discrediting the ratings of many apps. Although it is common for morons to rate even the best of apps badly when they don't understand them, it's almost impossible that an app would be missing a smooth frequency curve from at least 5 stars to 2 stars. New or unknown apps that have very few ratings (low N), or an unreasonable distribution of ratings should always be avoided.

8. Jessica Lares, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016

Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I usually don't look at the star rating and just read the comments and pay attention at the language they're using. Another thing I do is look at the website the developer has listed.

I remember getting Darkroom and at the time it was getting very poor ratings because people didn't read the description about the in-app purchase required for the level settings. You see that across a lot of the free apps with IAP, so I don't take the star ratings seriously because of that.

Another thing is that people tend to take stars off just because an app doesn't have a feature. And yeah, people do rate stuff badly simply because they don't understand them too, instead of just letting it go and deleting it/asking for a refund.