Reviews from iPad 1 to iPad 2 upgraders?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BigCanoe, Mar 18, 2011.

1. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

I have a 64GB iPad 1 which I use all the time. Mainly use it for email, web browsing and NetFlix. Anyone upgraded from 1 to 2 care to report on how much better your experience is?

2. ea9 macrumors regular

email - same. Netflix - same. Web browsing, a bit faster. So not for you.

Main reasons to upgrade are heavy multi tasking users (and even then), gamers would want the newest games to play as best as possible and obviously Facetime.

I personally skipped iPad1 because I'm a heavy skype/facetime user.

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I went from a 32g wifi to a 32gb white 3G. Im loving it but your mileage may vary. Im a tech nut and always upgrade every year. I think the biggest advantage of the 2 is the redesign. It feels soo much thinner and it's so much easier to hold. The speed increase is pretty good too but you still get the checkerboard on webpages as they load which I was hoping was gone.

Cameras are junk and I don't play games so graphics aren't a big deal to me

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

You obviously did not even read the OP's question.

5. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

When u guys say the cameras arent good, are u speaking of the still camera because my understanding is that the video camera is supposed to be pretty decent.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I haven't shot hd with the back one yet but even FaceTime looks pretty crappy.

7. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Running a speed test it downloads twice as fast as my iPad 1.

Thought it would feel lighter but not very dramatic. The thinness really stands out when you first grab it.

It's not Apple's most beautiful design but in hand, it feels very nice.

Video shot with rear camera is much better than I thought it would be. Pictures are horrible.

Looking forward to watching my niece play with PhotoBooth.

Switching between tabs is infinitely better than iPad 1 but I still see those damn checkerboards (but not nearly as much)

I'm happy with it. iPad 1 will become the controller to my home theater set up and iPad 2 will be used throughout the house.

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

If those are what you use, no point in upgrading, imo

9. ea9 macrumors regular

Did you read mine? :eek:

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Called OKC apple store, talked to employee.....explained my needs and asked if ipad2 would have a big of a difference in browsing speed on ipad 1 w/iOS 3.3 on 3G as it did on wifi. Employee gave me his opinion that 3g would make browsing between the two models negligible. Helped me shake off the upgrade bug for another day....

Has anyone else noticed a difference between the two browsing on a 3G connection?

11. huskerchad macrumors regular

Web browsing feels dramatically faster to me. That is the main difference so far.

It's noticeably thinner and lighter.

I ended up paying a difference of around $200 after selling my v1. It's probably marginally worth that much in terms of an upgrade. Facetime will be OK-ish, but situational.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Honestly. Very little difference to me. I surf, read mail, and play games. The biggest difference to me is the size and weight. I just find it easier and more comfortable to hold.

It's just cool to have the latest and greatest.

13. DeLoMan macrumors regular

I went from a 64GB WiFi iPad to a 64GB Verizon 3G iPad 2 (white).

So far I notice:

MUCH faster in every aspect (opening apps, loading apps, webpages, etc.)
    Slightly lighter
    Much thinner
    Slightly worse battery life.

I have no regrets selling my iPad for $450 and spending $900 on the iPad 2.

14. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Please tell me why you went for the white and particularly the 3G version after the wifi one?

Hopefully in the UK we will get to order in a week and I am very tempted to go for the white one, reminds me of my G4 imac.

Very undecided about paying a lot more for the 3G version though. Costly monthly data prices and very iffy connections and speed here in the UK.

15. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

I really crack up when I read the "much faster" comments for opening apps and web pages.

Posters make its sound like it takes minutes to open an app on an iPad 1. Instead of a few second difference or less.

16. WilliamG macrumors 604

I reviewed the iPad 2 on my site, www.bighugenerd.com , if you want to read it. I touch a lot on the iPad 1 to 2 upgrade. :)

17. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

I have seen loads of iPad vs iPad 2 speed tests and to be honest when u say a HUGE improvement in speed I'm guessing you meant a 2 second difference in speed? The IPad actually beat the iPad 2 in opening some apps like the map app and was almost at the same level as speed opening up YouTube, safari pages etc

And this was on 2 or 3 YouTube videos. Spending 600 on such a minor increase of speed isn't really what I would call a success .

The main improvements will probably be the graphics in games, and some people actually use webcams and FaceTime ( unlike me who hasn't even used the front facing camera on my iPhone 4 yet).

So just makes me laugh when I hear these new buyers saying it is vastly faster when in reality it fast by the seconds

18. R1PPER macrumors 6502

faster by "seconds" when we are talking about 3,4,5 seconds actually equates to gains of 30-50%. Shaving "seconds" off macrumours is probably worth the upgrade alone : )

19. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

If that's all you do, it probably won't be a big deal to you to upgrade. I'd skip this upgrade.

I myself upgraded (and gave my ipad 1 to my mother). It is faster, but really only somewhat in day to day functions. Web browsing is faster. Not exceptionally faster, but faster. Emailing, nope nothing there. I think Netflix is a bit more responsive in that I feel like when I tap on the screen to bring up the controls it responds a fraction faster (maybe because it has 2 cores to do everything now?).

As stated, multi-taskers, gamers, heavy app users it is almost a must. That's the reason my mother is getting my iPad 1. For her, it won't make a hill of beans of difference (ibooks is going to feel just the same on either).

Edit: I should state my big reason for upgrading was Facetime. I travel a lot so now I don't have to lug my personal computer with me and I can just take my work laptop and my ipad rather than two full laptops.

20. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I agree that even 1 or 2 seconds makes a huge difference in usability if your using it a lot. But I doubt that for most apps loading or accessing data, the speed difference is even 1 second.

Tony

21. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

iPad 2 is much better for browsing, the tabs don't constantly reload like the first.

22. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

iPad 2 is thinner, lighter, faster, and has cameras. Otherwise it is the same as iPad 1. I got the smart cover, which is the only option at this point, but wish apple had a case that covered the whole device like on the 1. I'd feel a little better walking around with the thing.

23. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I liked the first one and this one even more

It's definitely thinner and lighter. Unless it's my imagination the speakers in the iPad2 seem to have a better sound. Although the iPad version of iMovie is bare bones, I like having it and the cameras in the iPad2. I had no expectations for the cameras so I'm satisfied with both. I tried out the rear camera with a short video as soon as I got it. And the subject was impressed with the quality of the video. I LOVE the DV adapter (not sure if it works with the iPad too, though). I was waiting for mirroring with the iPad and it's finally here :)

Oh, and it seems significantly faster than the iPad too.

24. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Upgrade is worth it. The 2 is noticeably faster. Overall experience is improved.

25. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Sold my 16, case, ps ag screen protector for $410 shipped. Cost $15 to ship.

Glad I made the upgrade, well worth it IMO. I also moved to a 32 gig. If I out a number on it, I'd say 33% increase in price/loss is worth it, more than that, wait for the next one.