Reviews of the iMac have Wrong Information!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Johnf1285, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Is it me or is every outlet that is reviewing this machine just filled with wrong information? I cite only a few in this rant post of mine, but nearly every blog or website I visited to read about the iMac is rife with mis-information. I realize these points are meaningless to average Joe the consumer. It just grinds my gears! :D

Some things I have read throughout various blogs, product review sites, and tech sites, that have the wrong information:

1. Rear vent is an air intake according to Detroit BORG's YouTube Review.
    2. The ram is soldered to the logic board according to BGR.
    3. This one has really been rubbing me the wrong way. The Verge and Detroit BORG's YouTube Review say the speakers are down firing. The only iMac to have down firing speakers would be the G5 and original white Intel iMacs. The iMac G4 had one small internal speaker that was mounted toward the side of the chassis and as we all know the iMac G3 speaker grills were visible on the front, with their front firing speakers.

The speakers on the 2012 are rear firing. Just look at the tear down pic of the speaker removed from the chassis, the driver and tweeter face the REAR:

[​IMG]

The speakers on the 2007-2009 models, as well as the 2009-2011 models were front firing:

2009-2011 model:
    [​IMG]

2007-2009 model:
    [​IMG]

/end rant

2. THOPMedia macrumors regular

THOPMedia

I believe that by "down-firing" they mean that the actual sound outlet fires down. Even though the speaker is mounted toward the rear, the sound itself is channeled downward to each side of the rear vent.

I would call that "down-firing" as well and I am a pro-audio sound technician.

3. jediDev macrumors regular

It's also been claimed that the same exact LCD panel is used in the imac as in the previous generation. That's not accurate—I'm not sure what all the differences are, but while the model numbers are similar, they are different.

4. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Ah I stand corrected on the audio side of things. Thank you for teaching me.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member