Reviews on a couple bumpers, cases, skins, and backs!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by KeithLilja, Nov 17, 2012.

1. KeithLilja, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

KeithLilja macrumors member

I don't have my iP5 yet but it should be here next week sometime! But that hasn't stopped me from getting everything I need before I even have it. Mainly because I want to put some protection on it right out of the box. The kind of protection I was looking for were unique or different solutions to just buying a case and slapping it on there and calling it good. I wanted my phone to look different or make people wonder what is on my phone. I also didn't want to get any case that is ridiculously bulky or anything like that because I take good care of my things. The route I decided to go is the bumper and skin/skins route since I think it offers plenty of protection for my needs, protects the same amount as other slim cases (if not more because of all the buttons, all the sides and the back, and the bottom ports being covered), and it seems like the best way to personalize the look from the ground up. I'm on the ultimate quest to find the best products that will work the best together and look even better. No compromise.

Anyways, here is the list of things I have either purchased myself or have VERY GENEROUSLY been sent from the manufacturers, that I will be reviewing as soon as I get my phone. So check back if you want to see how all this stuff looks on the phone and how some of the products work in combination with other products. I apologize in advance for these terrible awful pictures, I will post much higher quality ones when I actually review them all. And sorry I don't have pictures for all of these just yet, some are still in the mail.

Here's the list of goodies:

-Spigen SGP "Ultra Crystal" Screen Protector

-ID America "Cushi Band" and Cushi Skin" (possibly)

-Switcheasy "Back and Screen" Protectors (the ones you get in their case packages. I was gifted them)

-Elago "S5 Bumper" in Black

-This unbranded black bumper from Hong Kong which is the same as the one reviewed in this link (supposedly its the best "cheap" bumper you can get) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnP7RzyFPkA

-The Noot "Bumper Case". Basically, the beloved Noot "T5" but with a bit more lip, a frosted back, and individual bottom port cutouts. See image at bottom.

-The Luxe Plates "Vintage Radio" back plate. I was curious to see how much signal loss would be a result of this. Hopefully not too much. See image at bottom.

-Lazerwood "Plain" Walnut real wood back. See image at bottom.

-The Lucky Labs "Teksure" skins in Parudao Wood.

Surely some combination of these products is the right path for what I'm looking for and I'm excited to see how everything looks and works on the phone. I'll keep you posted! Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      954.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      974.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      953.7 KB
      Views:
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That vintage radio deal looks cool. It's just a sticky back thing, right?

3. KeithLilja thread starter macrumors member

Yeah! Its such an awesome look! Its sticks to the back with the same 3M adhesive that all the skins use. Check em out at www.luxeplates.com. They are really well made and look even better. I just have two concerns with them, can they be used with a bumper (fit well and not make it look like the iPhone is hulking out of the bumper) and how much (if any at all) signal loss do you get when it is installed. We shall find out soon enough!

4. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

You got an elago bumper, too? Mine came in today, but I won't be home until Tuesday.

5. KeithLilja thread starter macrumors member

Yep! Elago was on of the companies I mentioned that was super friendly and incredibly generous. I emailed them asking about their bumper and mentioned that it seemed like everyone on here that wants a bumper has no real clue of which to get. And being that the S5 bumper came out recently, no one really knows about it or has any info on the real thing or what it is lie compared to all the bumpers people have tried. So I asked if they would send me one to test out and review to help them get the word out to potential customers like myself who are stilllll looking for a good one. I believe it shipped out yesterday. So you will probably know about it before I. But either way, like I said they were very friendly and seemed excited to help me and everyone else out.

6. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

That's awesome. Hopefully, it'll be a good bumper. I also ordered a black bumper from that vid you posted in the other thread with the slim-style bumpers. Should already be at my house, so I guess I'll go home to 2 bumpers. Also have some lucky lab skins waiting for me.

7. KeithLilja thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I hope so too! I don't know if you noticed but I asked that OP in the other thread if that bumper that we ordered was the "high-quality slim" ones he spoke of with the lightning port surrounded in plastic not rubber, and he said it indeed was. So hopefully all the bumpers ordered through that link are exactly like the one in the video review. This is awesome though, we can both compare notes on these two bumpers. Which lucky labs did you get? I really like the idea and look of the REAL wood back (like the Lazerwood one I got) but I was just worried about it fitting under a bumper, so I figured the next best thing was to get one of the wood Teksure skins since I know that should fit under one. I got ordered it two days ago with their promo code. Pretty excited for all this stuff thats coming in!

8. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I really liked the lazerwood backs, but I wanted to keep the iPhone looking like an iPhone. Lucky Labs didn't have the black aluminum skins for the back center, so I ordered the gloss black ends and matte black center. I'll definitely do my best to write a good review on the elago bumper. Maybe the skins, too.

9. KeithLilja, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

KeithLilja thread starter macrumors member

They definitely look like one of the better made real wood skins for sure. I figure if they work I was going make up a design or pattern or something and work in the apple logo (Placed where it usually is on the phone) and make a vinyl decal (I'm a graphic designer and have access to a cutter) of it in black to put on the wood back to hint at the fact that it is an iPhone (something similar to the image below. I made this mock up really really quick just to get an idea of what something like that might look like and is not by any means the design I would go with haha). Dang the matte and gloss black combo is going to look super awesome!! I should've thought of that. Black on black on black on black, murdered out style!

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      310 KB
      Views:
  10. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Pretty good idea! Definitely unique. Pretty excited to go home, now.

11. KeithLilja thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I bet! When did you order the ebay one again?

12. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I'm not sure if it has actually arrived or not. I think I ordered it last Friday.

13. KeithLilja thread starter macrumors member

Yeah me too. Thats the only thing that sucks about that one, you have NO clue where it is and when you will get it.