Reviews on OWC's 'OWC Mercury Elite Pro' Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OverSpun, Jun 24, 2011.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I have been looking for good enclosure but I couldn't find any reviews on their enclosures on google anywhere if anyone has any recommendations before I order it since they do have it on sale at the moment too. I'm used to seeing 100+ reviews on parts that help a lot, but I really havent seen a single one for this one. Thoughts?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MEP944FW8EU2/

Note: I had a past thread for searching for finding a decent enclosure, but I assumed a new thread for this certain enclosure getting answers on it.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1167797

Thanks! :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have a 1TB drive in that enclosure. It works great! I highly recommend OWC products.

3. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Thanks! I'm planning putting a 2.0TB Seagate Barracuda XT that came out of my last enclosure totally broke. ( :( ). So, that was my reason to make sure this OWC enclosure would be legit if people have been using it for years if possible too.

How long have they been offering this enclosure since I have not ordered from OWC until now. :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've had mine at least a couple years. It's quite reliable. OWC has been serving the Mac community for over 20 years, and they've got an excellent reputation.

5. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Thats great to hear. I was just afraid if it breaks after the 1yr warranty they offer. Ive just had poor experiences with macally, rosewill, and lacie in the last years. =/

6. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Here's a another vote for the OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosures. I have about ten of their aluminum enclosures in a variety of flavors and they've been great. The only problem I've had with them involved some dodgy power supplies on dual bay models, but OWC replaced the supplies, even one of them out of warranty.

7. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I'm even considering a dual bay aboud RAID, but I have not ever had a RAID setup. The reason is that I have a 1.5TB drive and a 2.0TB also if that would work.

I really need to learn about RAID setups and their differences. All I was thinking if it could mirror a partition(s) if it does that. Of course, I have too much data to fill a whole drive, but I just happen having 1 drive that isnt being used. I can tell that you have used dual bays before if maybe pointing me for me to research.

Thanks in advance :)