(Revised): If you could only have one computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johntommybob, Oct 19, 2010.

1. johntommybob macrumors member

I am forced to but a new computer. My Cube power source is dying :(. I only do this buying thing about every 9 years, and always a Mac. I can't get DSL where I live unless I go 3G or satellite, and I don't want to do either. Keep in mind that a 450 mhz Mac on dial up has actually done most all I wanted to do, but not always. For those times I like the thought of being able to carry a laptop into a fast food place, book store, or the local branch library, and get WIFI, and I would like to be able to do Skype and talk to my grandchildren on it. This approach would seem favor a laptop, but which one? I know a Macbook could do what I want, and need. I aim to keep this a long time, but being almost 73 I'm not sure what a long time for me is, but I know I want to be happy with what I get, and that is more important than the money. I have the money, but I am frugal at heart; can't help it. I look at the 13" Macbook pro and I think that would do it, but I look at the 15" and I think maybe 3 years from now I would be happier if I went that way? what to do? Any suggestions appreciated.

2. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

The baseline MacBook will be perfectly fine for what you want to do.

3. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    For your needs, one of the NEW updated Macbook Air computers that Apple is introducing tomorrow might fit the bill.

4. lickitysplit macrumors regular

If all you plan to do on the laptop is access the web, use skype, and thats it. The 13" will be more than enough to handle that. Also the new MBA would be a good bet too, especially if they get one of the new Core i series chips in it

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

First i'd like to invite all the underaged trolls to "x" out of this thread unless they decide to contribute (for once).

Second, it sounds like the 13" will be fine for what you want. If you could survive several years with the cube and don't do anything beyond moderate surfing and skype, then the 13" will be more than adequate.

But I don't think it will last 9 years. It could, moreso if you are willing to have parts swapped out as they die (i.e. fans, hard drives etc), which they could probably do at the Apple store. It sounds like you want to get things done in more places, and for which the 13" is great at.

Also, as mentioned above, the Macbook Air would be great for you, especially if they drop the price.

6. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I have a 13 mbp as my main computer. I just sold my imac, so i miss the bigger screen, but i plan on getting a display sometime.
    The 13 inch screen is actually fine for now though.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Either machine would be good for your needs and would last you quite a while, I'd simply get whichever size you prefer, as they will both be potent for quite some time with your type of use. Depending on what the new MacBook Air looks like tomorrow, that could be another good option for you.

8. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I agree with what the consensus is. The 13" MBP seems like it would fit the bill for you very nicely. It's a mature product, and the unibody construction is quite robust. A speedbump tomorrow would make the machine even more robust. I could see it lasting a very long time if you treat it well, and upgrade the components later on in its lifetime. I don't know if I'd consider whatever new model (read: macbook air) machine is introduced tomorrow for a long term machine; Apple has a reputation with the first revision of their products, and it's not a good one.

Sorry to hear about your cube:(

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If you intend to carry it around regularly, small and light will be the way to go. So, my vote goes to the 13" instead of the 15".

It's also wise to wait until after Apple's announcement tomorrow to see if anything new is introduced.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Anything would work for you, judging from your usage. I would recommend the aluminum unibody MacBook Pros since they are more durable (aluminum vs. plastic) and have a backlit keyboard. It's easier to see the keys this way. If you really don't care about performance, maybe look at one of the refurbished models. It adds an extra bit of savings.

11. neteng101 macrumors 65816

The $1,199 13" Macbook Pro is probably the best buy (better built than the basic Macbook, and much better display). Skype will run well on it - you will want to get a USB modem for the dialup connection.

12. johntommybob thread starter macrumors member

My Cube just started randomly cutting off. I put a small fan on the power source to cool it and it stopped doing that. An Apple rep said it was starting to go bad. I don't know how long my life support system will keep it going, nor does anyone else I guess.

I didn't mean to give the impression I was planning on carrying the laptop around a lot as I doubt we will. but there have been times when I needed to download a fairly large file (say software up dates for instance) and I didn't do it, or I went to the library and downloaded them to a disc and bought it home. I do see it for that type use, Skype, and who knows what else? It would go on trips and vacations for sure. Like most of you, the 13" MBP is the one I think I want. I can get a edu. discount. A lot of folks think Apple may change it by the end of the month, so should I wait a bit?

13. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If your Cube can hold out for a little while longer, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait and see about upgrades.

14. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Apple's next scheduled announcement for new stuff is tomorrow so you don't have long to wait. Beyond that, who know when any Apple products will be updated.

15. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

16. johntommybob thread starter macrumors member

(Revised): If you could only have one computer

I have rethought my previous post. I am still going to get a Macbook pro, but now I think I am going to get a iPad to go with it. Here is my reasoning.

I can't get DSL where I live except by satellite, or by 3G, and I would really like to do the 3G way, or at least have that option. But to put 3G on a laptop requires a modem (free) and a two year contract at $60 a month with at&t. and I don't want it that bad. But with an iPad, with 3G, you can get it without a contract for as little as $15 a month.

Of course you need a computer to download apps to go with an iPad, hence the need to buy a laptop that can do WiFi, but I could download apps at any free WiFi location.

All this is of course more money, but it would seem my best course.
    So say a laptop for $1099 and an iPad for about $600. So would it cost about $2000 with tax to do it my way.

Or is my reasoning flawed?

17. enigma82 macrumors newbie

Why would you need a computer to download apps for the iPad? You can do this directly on the iPad. You would need a computer to activate the iPad, but at a push i'm sure you could to that in an apple store or on a friends PC.

If you need a laptop ( and particularly the power of a macbook pro and not just a macbook) then that's one, but there's no need to by an expensive laptop just to have something to connect an iPad too!

18. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

All I can say is that I'm loving my 3G iPad. It has rescued my communications in the field on many occasions when nobody else could connect on anything bigger.

Sure, I might prefer to be typing on the MacBook's keyboard, but it sure beats typing a long reply on the iPhone.

:)

19. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

My vote is MBP (I personally have and prefer the 15inch) + 3g iPad. Real nice combo that should fit all of your needs for quite some time.

20. johntommybob thread starter macrumors member

I admit I know next to nothing about the iPad, so I must have misunderstood what the salesman at the Apple store told me. That's a bit of good news.

21. pkts macrumors member

I don't see much point in getting a iPad and a Macbook Pro? But, I bought a iPad and returned it...it just didn't get it. However, if you tablets or watch a lot of media it might be great for you.

I strongly recommend the 13 base Macbook Pro especially if you live close to a Microcenter. They have them for 200 off and sometimes you can get an open box one for 300 off. Essentially the same price as a macbook.

Regarding 3G, do you have existing cell phone service? What I do is I have a phone thru Sprint and I make my 3G connection into a hot spot which allows my phone to send WIFI to my laptop. Of course, if you don't have/need cell phone service, this'll be more expensive.

22. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I would recommend not getting an iPad, and waiting until the MBP refreshes. Specifically the 13" model. If it does not get i3 processors, then it most likely get at least a 1440x900 display.