Revision 1 Unibody Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simaomm, Dec 16, 2008.

1. simaomm macrumors newbie

Hello,

I need to buy a new laptop, and I wanted a Macbook, however, my mama always said not to buy a revision 1 Apple product.

Since Rev 2 should be out only around April, should I buy anyway? What do you recommend?

Thank you!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hang on... since it should be out around April?

Have you seen any Intel release schedules? What chip comes out in April?

3. simaomm thread starter macrumors newbie

I am thinking on a average cycle of about 197 days..

4. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

If you need a notebook now, go ahead and buy the Rev1. They are great machines.

If you can wait until April though, I would wait. The next revision "should" have substantial improvements. (Nehalem CPUs come to mind)

5. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Nehalem is gonna be again for guinea pigs :)

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The new laptops are very well built. The only problems were the loose battery cover, and the slanted keys. Also remember they often have silent revisions within revisions. If you were to get one hot of the delivery truck, these issues will have been fixed. When you buy it, fire it up in the store, make sure its perfect.

If however you were to buy off Amazon for example, you might be lumbered with an early build which might exhibit the aforementioned issues.

We know Nehalem comes out in Q3 2009, we don't know how often Nvidia turn their chipsets. For all we know we might be with the current release until October next year.

7. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Nehalm in laptops is not due until the end of 2009 early 2010. As for the rev 1, well I'm currently waiting on my third! BUT there have been LOTS of people with perfectly fine laptops, especially when brought from a shop so just buy it if you want it. Apple's customer service is fantastic if you do have a problem.

8. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting on the next revision as well. Basically what I have found through searching around the web is that when April comes around, Revision B will come standard with a 2.53 Processor which is an upgrade right now. It's the last round for Intel with their current processors before the new processors come out that everyone is talking about. I believe those new processors will not be out until a year or so from now. Personally, I would wait until April if you can. You will probably be getting a Macbook Pro with 2.53 standard and there could be some cosmetic revisions to the Macbook as well. Maybe something to cure the battery cover issue that some people are having.

Click on the link. It will explain more of what I am talking about.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=92235

9. simaomm thread starter macrumors newbie

I could wait until April... I guess I could wait until October but then again I could wait forever... I am just afraid for being a Revision 1 product.

So if I were to buy from an Apple Store On-line I should be safe? Or at least safest...

10. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I have a 2.8 MBP and love it! Really dont see the point in waiting around for them to release the rev 2 because if you get it and its not perfect you can swap it out! and the likely hood is that it will be 99% anyway.

Dont forget you only hear about people with problems not people with perfect MBPs

11. jamin100 macrumors 6502

For god sake!
    Just buy the dam laptop if you want/need one.
    If you keep waiting for the next best improvement then you'll never have one!

Getting really sick of these should I / Shouldn't I threads now!

ps: whats that clock screensaver again :rolleyes:

12. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

This is correct. Intel is releasing new processors on the 29th of December. What this means is that the current batch apple uses go down in price and apple saves money. (read: makes even more profit) at some point though they will make a speed bump. the 2.53 will cost the same that the 2.4 currently costs. not likely including a graphics upgrade. the 9 series has just been included... i think the 17" should have a 9800m, but who am i to talk...

anyway, i'm optimistic that apple could give a speed bump when they introduce the 17" unibody. but it is a long shot...

13. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

When the next revision is made to the MacBook Pro, go for it. It will most likely be around April. Snow Leopard probably won't be out yet at that time but you can always just buy it when it comes out and install it. If you can wait a few months, that's when I would make the purchase. I know that's what I plan on doing.