Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
IJ Reilly said:
What's the sanitized cartoon thing got to do with Ted Turner? I didn't see his name mentioned. I also don't get the connection to colorizing old movies and political correctness.

Because Ted Turner was the Vice Chairman for Time Warner up until 2003 and was on the board of directors though he didn't seek re-election back in February.

Warner Bros., which owns the rights to all the old Looney Tunes created by Chuck Jones, is a subsidiary of Time Warner.

Though Tom and Jerry was an MGM creation, (Chuck Jones also worked on this through his own production company Sib Tower 12 Productions) Ted Turner bought MGM in 1986. So Tom and Jerry are under Warner Bros. now.

Tom and Jerry Censorship on Wikipedia

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
OK, so you don't agree that the term "lady doctor" should be used to describe a woman who is a doctor, which is a term that used to be used and is no longer politically correct. Same with negro.

I agree with you on the African-American point. The term doesn't work precisely because of the reason you're pointing out.

Sweden's beautiful! You should go!

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
clayj said:
Did you have a particular example in mind? Because I can't think of any.

Oh, and don't throw out any patently offensive examples (like the n-word). There's a huge difference between (for example):

African-American (PCism)
black (generally accepted word, just like "white")

I bet you can trace your genealogy.

The phrase "politically correct" has become awfully politically correct, and it's too often an easy way to dismiss ideas -- especially ideas central to our diverse identities -- we don't want to deal with.

I can't think of an administration that's been more "politically correct" than the Bush administration -- saying the right thing politically and doing the opposite.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Stalin did this(or at least something like it).. killed people and erased all documents of them, pictures, birth records, even pictures of them on poster, he had the best artist in the USSR retouch the posters so it looked like noone had ever been there.....

They should keep it as it is.. maybe not do it in new cartoons, but come one.. i watched these shows when i was younger, and i don't smoke.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
miloblithe said:
OK, so you don't agree that the term "lady doctor" should be used to describe a woman who is a doctor, which is a term that used to be used and is no longer politically correct. Same with negro.

I agree with you on the African-American point. The term doesn't work precisely because of the reason you're pointing out.

Sweden's beautiful! You should go!
If "lady doctor" is what "they" used to say, then that's a PCism that deservedly died.

And I do plan to go to Sweden at some point, if only to find a group of people who can spell my surname without any difficulty. ("J-O-H... A-N... S-O-N... no, there's an A after the H... no, one S... no, no E... gah, let me type it for you.")

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Tanglewood said:
Though Tom and Jerry was an MGM creation, (Chuck Jones also worked on this through his own production company Sib Tower 12 Productions) Ted Turner bought MGM in 1986. So Tom and Jerry are under Warner Bros. now.
Thought it was Hanna-Barbera? Though the end result is the same. Time Warner owns LOTS of classic animation thanks to Ted Turner.

B

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Tanglewood said:
Because Ted Turner was the Vice Chairman for Time Warner up until 2003 and was on the board of directors though he didn't seek re-election back in February.

Warner Bros., which owns the rights to all the old Looney Tunes created by Chuck Jones, is a subsidiary of Time Warner.

Tom and Jerry Censorship on Wikipedia

Of which I am aware. It was made to sound like Ted Turner's decision. In fact editing out smoking scenes from Tom & Jerry cartoons seems to be a policy of the subsidiary in Europe. I was also trying to understand the connection between colorizing old movies and political correctness.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
thedude110 said:
The phrase "politically correct" has become awfully politically correct, and it's too often an easy way to dismiss ideas -- especially ideas central to our diverse identities -- we don't want to deal with.

Very true. People on both the right and left have their own versions of politically correct speech. The term is so over-worked it's become effectively meaningless, even assuming it had any meaning to begin with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.