Revive 2006 MacBook or just call it a day?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jbstew32, Jun 23, 2012.

1. jbstew32 macrumors regular

I have a Late 2006 White MacBook (2.0GHz C2D, 2.5GB RAM, 250GB HDD) that is LONG out of AppleCare warranty. The battery went out, so I replaced it with a knock off battery a while back (that again needs replacing). Now my MagSafe adapter doesn't work anymore. There are also minor cracks (yet again) in my top case and bezel.

After getting me through both undergrad and grad school, the thing just looks worn and has become slower and slower with every subsequent OS X release, despite doing clean installs. Now it seems the Mountain Lion won't even support it.

I guess the question is whether it makes sense to buy a MacBook Pro, or sink $200+ into a new, legit battery and new MagSafe adapter at the Apple store?

The machine is really really used for heavy web browsing, Microsoft Office, and for watching Netflix, Hulu, etc... (often simultaneously)

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I might normally say fix it...but as cost of new battery and mag safe are gonna run you about $200 if might be better to sell it and buy say a 13" mba from refurb store....$759-$849.

costs

-fix and add a nice ssd with a snow leopard install (which im guessing you already have?)=$300-400

vs

-sell for say $300 and buy refurb mba for $789 (middle one on sale right now)=$489

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

If you feel that it is noticeably slow even after clean installs then perhaps it might be time for some new hardware altogether. Depends on how much that will cost though I guess.

4. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

If I would speak purely from a financial standpoint, the MacBook Pro route is the most efficient one. This means new hardware, warranty etc.

That said, the 2006 C2D MacBook still has some life in it. The top case replacement is has a 5 year warranty. So, I'd say that has passed. A new top case is 85 euro's (here in NL) at the Apple Store. Although this is not a necessary replacement.

The battery is something you might want to have original, so that's expensive. A new MagSafe board is not that expensive, so that's an easy fix. Or if it the charger, then that's also not that expensive.

I would also include the cost of an SSD (that would revive the MacBook). 60GB nowadays is not expensive (+/- 70 euro's).

When all that's done, the MacBook would run faster than new and could an extra few years.

I, myself, have an 2Ghz Core Duo black MacBook. It runs on a 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD (90 euro's) and is in pristine condition. But it runs very very very fast! I will last me for many years (also because it's been a back up Mac for many years now).

5. jbstew32 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input, guys

In the end I decided to sell the old MacBook. It was like losing a family member haha but it was for the best, and I got more than I thought I would out of it considering.

I ended up getting a new MBA.

Just wanted to let you know your feedback wasn't for nothing! I appreciate it.

6. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

I think you did the right choice, the MBA is going to be faster, lighter and stronger than the MB.

7. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

The Air is definitely a worthy replacement.

I still have my old 2006 black macbook also (not even listed in my sig), and it's just a Core Duo maxed out at 2GB memory.

Late last year I got a new OWC battery for it and did a fresh install of Snow Leopard and damn... it's still a very usable machine. I plan on selling it but I'm kinda sentimentally attached to it. :eek: