Reviving a PB G4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MOkAONE, May 13, 2008.

1. MOkAONE macrumors newbie

long story made short, my gf came across a 17" powerbook g4 that im looking to bring back to life. there's no powercord and it wont turn on, so hopefully its just a beat battery. the keyboard wasn't screwed on wen i got it, and i took it apart, and im guessing theres some parts missing.. because the keyboard isnt connected to the rest of the laptop by any type of ribbon cord. so im not sure how the power button would work if i was to recharge the battery.

few questions before i invest money on it...

-where would i be able to find replacements parts for cheap. all the keyboard screws are missing, and wen u close the laptop, its not flush.. as if the previous owner used the left corner of the lid to open the laptop, and eventually warped due to the weight.

-would i run into any problems on trying to install Leopard on it? ive heard that Tiger runs fine, but theres minor configs u have to do to get Leopard running. (im a pc owner, looking to switch. so i have a little knowledge of Mac OS. i use my gf's macbook once in a while, but other than that... the last time i used/owned a apple computer was wen i was young and ran OS8 on my dekstop)

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I suggest going to iFixit. The tutorials are wondeful, showing everything you need to know about fixing the laptop. They also sell most parts. From there you can figure out what is will cost to get it back up and running.

http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/Aluminum-17-Inch/55

3. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

With regards to Leopard, I'm currently running it on a G4 1ghz and it's perfect, just upgrade your RAM and off you go.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe there is a reason the previous owner didn't want it anymore?

5. MOkAONE thread starter macrumors newbie

so i got a power cord, and i can see the battery being charged. but the laptop isnt turning on. any suggestions?

6. MOkAONE thread starter macrumors newbie

after looking at the diagrams over at ifixit, i realized that whoever messed around with the laptop before, didnt plug in the small ribbon cord thats under the RAM. plugged it in, computer booted up. there's no OS on the hdd, but atleast i now know that it works. :thumbsup:

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Haha, that's pretty funny. :p

Sucks for the other guy!