Reviving the Hybrid HDD...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Winter Charm, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Some of you may remember my original post about the Seagate momentus XT and how it was a Hybrid SSHDD (hybrid solid state/hard disk drive) - it had 4GB of onboard flash memory and a 500GB hard drive platter - this allowed you to combine the advantages of both (while loosing a bit of the reliability and resistance to vibration) and have a fast drive with lots of storage. What was stored on the flash memory would be managed by the drive controller to give you best possible performance.

At the time several people (myself included) wondered how much of a performance gain there was.

This video proves a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQOkVzn0O8

So, is anyone reconsidering getting one of these. I tried to with the first batch but they were gone within about 4 hours. (edit: on newegg)

As things are going, I'm definetly planning to put this baby in my macbook pro once i order one (later this year or sometime next year)

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Thought about going the Momentus XT route; but I'm just going to wait for the 28nm SSDs at the turn of the year.

3. gooduno macrumors newbie

I had mines installed for about a week now and it seems to have boost my whole computer. My boot time(45sec-25sec) and application start up time is much faster.

Before the XT I installed a 500gb 7200 hitachi hdd because newegg was out of stock. The drive is slightly louder than my Hitachi only slightly, no vibrations like how I read from reviews. I did a xbench and there is not really any difference. There is a half sec. hiccup sometime though but it doesn't bother me as much as what I have read from reviews. This could be the hdd switching to the memory, but im not sure. Its a good hdd with a little added memory to it. Its not a SSD like how Seagate advertises it to be.
    I hope this helps.

Here are my specs
    15" 2.16 MBP
    4gb ram
    500gb 7200 Momentus XT
    500gb 7200 Hitachi Travelstar in optibay