RevolverHD for AVCHD MTS, M2T or M2TS Files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by PenguinMac, Oct 30, 2010.

1. PenguinMac macrumors member

Has anyone tried RevolverHD by the makers of VoltaicHD to get bare AVCHD files into iMovie or FCE? Unlike ClipWrap or MPEG Streamclip, it does nothing to the actual file (no rewrap or transcode) but instead puts the files into a fake AVCHD archive that iMovie etc. thinks came from a camera and will import them as such. The trial worked fine, but is very limited so would like to hear if anyone's used it extensively.

2. Santa1900 macrumors newbie

RevolverHD

I tried it extensively. It works great. Had a lot of .mts files from my old PC days and didn't want to convert them first before using them in iMovie and FCE. It's the best thing I found. Love it. No need to convert or clip wrap any more. Instead iMovie or FCE can do the transcoding into AIC from native AVCHD files that are on my hard drive.

3. iFergal, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

iFergal macrumors newbie

Revolver HD - Totally unnecessary!

You dont need any software to transfer AVCHD files to a hard drive! Just drag & drop the AVCHD folder to an empty folder on your hard drive... & thats it!... Just dont alter the file structure of the original AVCHD folder. When you want to import to iMovie or FCP just go to: File > Import > Camera archive... Navigate to the folder you dropped the AVCHD files in... When the camera archive file is detected, the import window will indicate so and the AVCHD file will be greyed out... click > Import... choose the files you want... choose your settings & destination... & thats it!... The files transcode as normal... No software needed... Done!

4. Santa1900 macrumors newbie

If one didn't save the whole AVCHD folder structure and the directory hierarchy

Switching from the PC world to Mac, one would probably have saved just the .m2ts files as Windows Media Player and Corel Video Studio would play and edit them natively. If one doesn't have the whole AVCHD folder structure then there is no way to import the MTS files to iMovie without transcoding them with something like VoltaicHD into AIC first. RevolverHD will recreate that folder structure and the directory hierarchy and allow for native import of old MTS files. Then iMovie does the transcoding into AIC which is better than having some third party software do it.

5. iFergal macrumors newbie

I stand corrected!

Indeed, in the case you describe, iMovie would not recognise the .MTS files outside of a proper AVCHD file structure and you would need to reconsruct it somehow and I guess thats what Revolver HD does! I guess I misinterpreted the original question.

6. dmnelson macrumors newbie

Thank God

Just what I needed! Can't wait to try it tonight.:D

7. crazymoo, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

crazymoo macrumors newbie

New to the forum, so, Hi! :D

Colour me thick (I shall agree)! I've saved the .mts files directly from the camera in the original AVCHD folder onto my mac, but when I go into iMovie to import, all I get is the box asking me to chose files. I cant find 'camera archive' etc and when I open the AVCHD folder in import, all it does is reject the files. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong please?

Thanks