Rewind 24hrs ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac2thefuture, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

I have an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (24inch). on 10.4.11
    Is there anyway of going back to how it was running 24hrs ago?
    Then everything was fine (as always) but i decided to hook up my unlocked 1st gen iphone to OS3. Last night the imac seemed fine and this morning all seemed well. I came home from work and tonight and it seemed to be lagging slow so i though i'd do a restart. It wouldn't do it so I turned it off via the on/off button. On restart it went straight to iphoto which gave a command to update iphoto to make the thumpnails of better quality. I asked i not to bother just now, but on looking at iphoto i noticed that none of my photos were present. I tried to shut iphoto down, it wouldn't. I tried to open safari anf after some time it fired up only to shut down unexpectidly. Now all apps hang. It seem that i've lost all my photos somewhere and possibly all my music. I can only think this is associated with the iphone update last night.
    Is there any way of goping back 24 hrs or can u offer any other assistance please.
    Thanks
    :(:(:(

It may only be an apple thing as firefox is responsive

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do you have Time Machine installed and working?
    Without a working backup like TM, your answer is "no"

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

4. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

No, i dont have time machine. I just wondered if like windows xp you can go back to the last update....
    My lagging issues here seem to revolve around iphoto and safari (both of which are integral to the conection of an iphone??).

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can try reinstalling those two apps

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Neither Safari nor iPhoto are integral to connecting your iPhone, and while the upgrade to 3.0 on the phone may be part of the problem, I doubt it's causing the problems with those apps.

What about repairing permissions?

7. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Even if OS X had that "feature" like XP does, it doesn't recover lost data files. It just restores system files/settings that were altered. Your photos, music, etc. would all still be gone.

8. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, all my music, tv shows etc are present so that's some consolation.
    Iphoto is so slow and is just showing empty folders right now with the beech ball (the same folders i had in there yesyerday). Can they be restored somehow if they wern't deleted/damaged? Assuming I can locate them.

9. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

I haved found all the various folders which i can view with preview so again more consolation. When I try adding them to iphoto i get the following message.
    The following file could not be imported. (The file is in the iPhoto Libary Folder).

????

10. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I don't think Time Machine was available in OS 10.4.11

11. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Perhaps iPhoto (thinks it) has lost the link to your iPhoto Library.

In Users/[user]/Pictures, do you have a folder named "iPhoto Library"? And if so, does it contain a folder called "Originals"? This is the default location, and where OS X would normally put imported photos.

12. Salmar macrumors regular

I think the poster is referring to a program like Norton's GoBack where you can go back in time before you screwed something up. I've had it on my windows computers and it worked great. Even if you uninstalled a program you would be able to "go back"/ revert the computer like it was before you uninstalled it.