Rewrap MKV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thunderclap, Mar 9, 2010.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I know ClipWrap can rewrap M2TS files, but I'm trying to find a way to rewrap MKV files. Right now I'm converting MKV to ProRes but it takes a long time and would like to shorten this. Does anyone know of a program to rewrap MKV to Quicktime?

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Perian allows you to use the Quicktime Pro edit features on mkv files. You can either save it as a mov directly or reencode the parts that Quicktime does not have native decoders for (vorbis etc).

3. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

That's what I'm doing now: opening the MKV in Quicktime with Perian and re-encoding in ProRes. That's what I meant is that it's taking a real long time (15 hrs and only half way done) even on a Core i7. Granted I am encoding for the full 1080p, I would just like a faster method if at all possible.

4. totoum macrumors member

Instead of re-encoding the file,choose "save as",name it and save,the file will be rewrapped into a mov container without being reencoded and it should be much quicker.

5. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

Creating the movie container was indeed fast, but once I take it into FCP it still needs to be rendered out. If I'm not mistaken this is because an MKV file is a container for an H.264 file which FCP doesn't like.

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you aren't simply re-wrapping MKV's so that you can edit them in FCP, you are transcoding the files... that is going to take forever and there is no getting around that.

7. totoum macrumors member

Yep

In theory,with perian installed,you could choose "H.264" as a compressor in the sequence settings and normaly their wouldn't be any rendering.

But things will probably not run very smoothly,and this goes for any editing software,not just FCP.
    So really there's no escaping having to transcode to prores.

8. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I haven't used FCP in a while, but usually iMovie and FCP are *editing* programs. H.264 and most other compressed video are meant for *transport* (ie. internet streaming/downloading or for DVDs). Therefore they take the file and make it ready for editing, meaning they recode it to a format that is not dependant on key-frames etc.

Video editing takes lots of HD space. The alternative is to do just simple edits that don't require recompression. (Like copy-paste in Quicktime Pro, only applicable if the video/audio-streams match up.)

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

if you don't need the entire MKV in FCP, then open in QT, set in/out points and trim before exporting... should save you a lot of time