Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
In the company where my partner works (multinational defense firm) they have asked her if she'd be willing to get a RFID implant. They are asking for volunteers for a trial run in the technology. Although they say they'll ever ask for it to be compulsory, she's heard that it is a bad idea not to get one. What are peoples thoughts here on them? I'm not very comfortable with the idea of it. She's had a card with a chip in it for years, which is pretty cool - lets her unlock restricted doors and turns on lights when she sits at her desk. But this seems like a step too far.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
In the company where my partner works (multinational defense firm) they have asked her if she'd be willing to get a RFID implant. They are asking for volunteers for a trial run in the technology. Although they say they'll ever ask for it to be compulsory, she's heard that it is a bad idea not to get one. What are peoples thoughts here on them? I'm not very comfortable with the idea of it. She's had a card with a chip in it for years, which is pretty cool - lets her unlock restricted doors and turns on lights when she sits at her desk. But this seems like a step too far.

Err, I read just recently (may have been today) that RFID implants were now being linked to tumors or cancer or something...

I take these things with a pinch of salt usually but I wouldn't be going out to get one either.

Ill try find the story.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
dont they do this to dogs n cats?

granted they dont live 60+ years with it in their bodies, but I havent heard anything bad there...

im more worried about a SkyNet type future or something. :rolleyes:

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I had one that I put in by accident.
I kept setting off the security beeper things by store doors.
and the library.
I have a post of it somewhere on macrumors but too lazy to look up.

FYI there are different types of RFID tags - there is a huge difference between passive and active ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.