Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WB2Colorado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
I was wondering if anyone had a copy of Rhapsody (Please look at the link before posting) available? I've been wanting to try it on my iMac. I know this is a really really long shot, but I'd thought I could try, right?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm going to move this into the Collectors forum as it's more likely that people there will have it.

blue39390

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Props for having this and making it available. Question, since the image is in VPC anyway to convert that for Parallels or Fusion. I tired the transporter in Parallels and that did no t work. Also the .dmg??? in the rhapsody folder does not mount in the finder or disk utility, says it damaged. I redownloaded it a few times and it says the same thing. I want to burn this to CD so i can boot to it and install it on a PC and also use it in a VM solution. Any ideas?

Thanks

Trinity

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Barcelona - CAT
It was quite difficult to me to install the system. As long as I remember, I mounted the floppy images using Toast, an old version of 2002 or so. Then I booted a new VPC machine using the floppy image and then just followed the instructions. Is for that reason that I have kept Rhapsody installed in the VPC drive file, and uploaded it to you. Indeed, it worked flawless with VPC version 5 and stopped working in 6.

WB2Colorado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

blue39390 said:
Props for having this and making it available. Question, since the image is in VPC anyway to convert that for Parallels or Fusion. I tired the transporter in Parallels and that did no t work. Also the .dmg??? in the rhapsody folder does not mount in the finder or disk utility, says it damaged. I redownloaded it a few times and it says the same thing. I want to burn this to CD so i can boot to it and install it on a PC and also use it in a VM solution. Any ideas?

Thanks

Wow, thanks for hijacking my thread.

Nah, I don't mind. XD

anyway, forgive my ignorance, but how do you mount someone's public iDisk? I really don't know how. I don't know if that's a bad thing or not. :p

blue39390

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
thanks, anyideas on how to convert the vpc image to a actually usable emulator, or how to use the rhapsody install cd? Can convert and cant find VPC 5 anywhere.

Thanks

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Rhapsody is Mac OS X before they thought of Carbon...

Carbon is a reimplementation of the Classic Mac OS APIs on top of a modern OS. Carbon was based on QuickTime for Windows.

When Apple was porting QuickTime to Windows they decided it was simpler to port most of the Mac OS Classic API to Windows. Doing this required a cleaner reimplementation of most of the Classic Mac OS, and the underpinnings of Windows at the time were vastly more modern than Classic Mac OS. Using QuickTime, you can port Mac apps to Windows without a complete rewrite. iTunes for Windows today still runs atop QuickTime for Windows. Carbon for Windows if you like...

With Rhapsody, developers were required to rewrite their Apps in Cocoa to gain any benefits of the new OS. Existing apps could run in a virtual machine codenamed "Blue Box" - which later became "Classic" in the released Mac OS X. Asking developers to rewrite obviously proved unpopular.

Carbon was the solution, which enabled developers to update their code with considerably less effort than a complete rewrite, and they would gain the benefits of the new OS. Carbon is still used today by many high profile apps (Final Cut Pro, iTunes, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Microsoft Office... etc)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Carbon is still used today by many high profile apps (Final Cut Pro, iTunes, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Microsoft Office... etc)

Adobe apps will probably go away from this list once CS5 is released. They're for sure working on 64 bit Photoshop, which means at least PS will be Cocoa, but why not make the rest of the suite "follow the suite" as well? We'll have to wait and see, but there's some hope that us Mac users are going to love CS5

There was also rumor about 64 bit iTunes a while ago, but it did not happen (just yet at least)...

Cocoa is really coming with all its 64 bit glory :)

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
anyway, forgive my ignorance, but how do you mount someone's public iDisk? I really don't know how. I don't know if that's a bad thing or not. :p

Cake, actually. Click on the desktop to bring the Finder to the foreground. Click on the menu bar's 'Go' menu, then select 'iDisk' then select 'Other User's Public Folder...' and enter the other user's MobileMe username when prompted.

The user's public iDisk will show up on your desktop a short time later. This works for Snow Leopard, and I'm pretty sure also Leopard. Less sure about older versions of MacOS X.

Trinity

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Barcelona - CAT
I have added vpc5 installers, your task to get a license. Rhapsody is working flawless in my PowerBook G4 12" under Leopard, but vpc5 crashes in my MacBook Pro 17" with Snow Leopard. So consider that it is probably not compatible with Rosetta and Intel Macs, or with Snow Leopard.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Rhapsody is for 604 Macs

You can't install it on an iMac.

You need a 604-based Mac like the PowerMac 9500 or 8500. I used to have a copy of Rhapsody DR1 but I remember trashing it awhile ago, knowing I would never have use for it again, ever. You can't do barely anything with this OS. It's neat to look at -- it's essentially OpenStep that runs on a Mac. Looks very much like the system run on a NeXT box. I mean, it's essentially the same NeXT system ported to the Mac to run on the 604 architecture. What I would really like is an old version of Copland to run on a 601 machine! That would be fun, with all the working themes and such.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Adobe apps will probably go away from this list once CS5 is released. They're for sure working on 64 bit Photoshop, which means at least PS will be Cocoa, but why not make the rest of the suite "follow the suite" as well? We'll have to wait and see, but there's some hope that us Mac users are going to love CS5

There was also rumor about 64 bit iTunes a while ago, but it did not happen (just yet at least)...

Cocoa is really coming with all its 64 bit glory :)

Indeed, I'm sure Adobe apps will go away, hopefully they will re-code flash at the same time...

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Does anybody have a copy of the Copland beta that was going around about 1995-1996? The one will install on a 601-based machine (6100/7100/8100). I've never installed it but I would like to give it a try sometime.

Trinity

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Barcelona - CAT
Does anybody have a copy of the Copland beta that was going around about 1995-1996? The one will install on a 601-based machine (6100/7100/8100). I've never installed it but I would like to give it a try sometime.

I have dropped it to mi idisk also.

DMNT

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2008
I have to find them, but they were floppy disks images. I think I have the virtual PC drive with Rhapsody installed also.

Darn it... VPC 5 doesn't work on a G5... In the included readme, it says it won't work properly with VPC 6, so I guess that means VPC 7 is out of the question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.