Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ourphones, Mar 4, 2015.
Reviewed is this thin protective case:
Thoughts on using it with a Zagg vs the packaged screen protector?
Surprised this case hasn't had any attention.
I'm surprised as well but if you look on kickstarter you will see lots of positive comments from early adopters. I think evolution labs is still struggling to keep up with the demand - I ordered my 6+ bumper the 3rd week of february and it is not due to arrive until Wednesday of this week.
I'm looking forward to trying it out though - it seems to offer the same level of protection as other more bulky cases but uses a very small footprint. I really like the Apple leather case but purchased the RhinoShield bumper guard because I figured if I'm going to cover up the phone I may as well use something that provides good drop protection.
Be sure to give us an update when you get the case! It sounds so neat!
The bumper arrived yesterday afternoon - one day earlier than expected. Nice when that happens .
Some initial thoughts:
- Fit and finish is very good. No peeling, no extra material in the wrong places, no unfinished edges, etc. This doesn't feel like a cheap bumper and it is very well made. I think it is likely to retain its shape for a long time.
- Matte finish feels nice to the touch and the sides of the bumper are slightly rounded so that it feels good in the hand. The finish should also hide scratches well.
- It has a raised ridge on the front and back so that you can lay the phone down on a table without worrying about scratching the display or camera lens. The ridge does not make it any harder to reach the home button - no issues there.
- Fits the iPhone 6 plus like a glove. That said, there is some slight play in the sides once it is on the phone where the bumper can be pushed or stretched slightly outward near the middle of the phone but there is no give at all when gripping the phone. It is solid. I'm very picky about cases not fitting the phone and am not disappointed in how this bumper fits.
- Volume adjust and power buttons are very responsive with good feedback. It is almost as good as with no case at all.
- Easy on/easy off.
- Product branding "Rhinoshield" on the bumper is unobtrusive and actually looks pretty cool. It is "etched" into the plastic on the right side of the bumper.
- Very light. Does not add a lot of weight to the phone.
- Minimal footprint means I can still enjoy the overall design of the phone (including the open back).
- The black bumper is actually more of a dark grey to my eyes. It has an attractive 2 color design where most of the bumper is grey with a slightly darker color for the piping along the top and bottom edges.
- Cutouts for headphone jack, lightning connector and speaker are perfectly cut.
- If you have thick fingers reaching the mute/silent switch may be difficult because of the thickness of the case. I am able to get at it with my fingernail but still, the cutout could be a bit larger.
Overall, I'm very impressed and really recommend it to those looking for maximum protection in a slim cover/case. Although $25 for a bumper seems expensive I think it is worth it in this case.
Thanks!! Any pics would be appreciate if you get around to taking them. Very intrigued by this case!
Great review! I just ordered one from Amazon. Should be here on March 18. It comes with a back shield too but not sure if I'll use it or not.
Hope my Zagg glass screen protector works well with this. I don't see why not...
Using my Zagg with the Rhinoshield right now. I applied the back protector that comes with the package.
There is a slight (probably .25") gap between the glass and the bumper. Not too much of a biggie.
The bumper fits well although I agree with the review that says there is a bit of play on the sides. Not much to worry about. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up if I drop it
Coming from a Defender to this, the lack of heft in the case is noticeable. (and much appreciated) So far, so good.
I've had the crash guard for about a week now. I can say that it does indeed offer crazy good drop protection. I used it along with an iVapo/hoco tempered glass screen protector (the ones with a thin black or white border along the edge) and a bestskinsever case optimized skin on back. Fortunately the screen protector for perfectly with it. Now I really wanted to test it and the YouTube videos seemed impressive, and worst case scenario I have AppleCare, so I grotted my teeth and dropped it waist high onto linoleum. Perfect. I then dropped it about 3 dozen more times from various heights and onto everything but concrete, before I finally cracked the screen protector. now I must say that somewhere amongst all those drops my Touch ID stopped working completely. I must've really jarred something loose inside. Went to Apple and they looked at the phone in perfect condition and swapped out a new one for me. I'm waiting for a replacement screen protector and bestskinsever. Once those arrive I'll post pictures.
I initially planned on using it sparingly when I went out doing anything active but not really for at work at my desk, but it adds so little bulk I'm just leaving it on permanently. I highly recommend it! $25 Amazon prime two day shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Shield-Crash-Bumper-iPhone/dp/B00SSA9K00
Great review! How I feel too. I've dropped it several times on purpose in hardwood and tile from 3-4 feet and it's been perfect. Only thing I've found is occasionally after a fall it'll service my volume rocker from on to mute, guess from the jolt?
Anyways it is now my favorite case and will stay on for a long time
Why are you guys purposely dropping your phones?
I got the bumper from kickstarter and use it when I know I'll be in a rough setting, i.e. Concerts.
I wouldn't however purposely drop it just to test the product
So we can go on forums and tell you how said bumper stands up to drops with real anecdotal evidence and perhaps make everyone here a little more informed. Also because I'm really dumb.
Thanks, Ourphones! Love your detail review! big fan of your channel
Can I ask you folks how your RhinoShields are holding up? Amazons reviews have me concerned about quality of materials and customer service. Can we get some long term feedback?
Funny you should ask...
I got mine 5 weeks ago and in the last 10 days the outside has cracked and peeled. I emailed them and they apologized and said I can get a new one as long as I pay $9 for shipping and handling. I wrote back telling the company that in this instance the customer service experience is paramount given the competition, social media and product reviews accessible to consumers. I won't pay $9 for another case to replace mine that died in less than a month.
Edit: this is the iPhone 6S plus - space grey
Exactly what I was afraid of.
When you say it "died", do you mean that peeling has affected the protective capability of the bumper? Or just aesthetically?