Riaa Finally Embraces P2p?!??!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rockthecasbah, Jan 28, 2008.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

"After a decade fighting to stop illegal file-sharing, the music industry will give fans today what they have always wanted: an unlimited supply of free and legal songs."

The RIAA has approved the creation of a program called QTrax in which the 4 major labels will work to provide free, P2P style downloads for users. There are no fees, no download limits. The catch? ALL TRACKS ARE DRM, WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER FILES.

To this point, an article says "Qtrax has also spoken of an “iPod solution”, to be announced in April." link.

Towards the end of one article you see the true motives behind this move. "Ford, McDonald’s and Microsoft are among the advertisers signed up to support what is thought to be the world’s largest legal music store. The service says that adverts will be nonintrusive and will not appear each time a song is played. As with iTunes, customers will have to download Qtrax software. They will own the songs permanently but will be encouraged to “dock” their player with the store every 30 days so it can gather information on which songs have been played."

In other words, you will become a free survey, advertising and information source to the RIAA. It also makes me wonder if the RIAA will be able to find whether users who register play illegal P2P tracks and if any suits may come of that... Perhaps that's a fair trade off, the idea isn't exactly new. I'm rather bothered, but if it weren't DRM'd files I wouldn't mind as much ;)

Article #1

Article #2

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Seeing as iPods are still dominating the mp3 player market, releasing it without support for the iPod (even if there's a solution coming later on) isn't a particularly good move.

I'd rather pay than have adverts spoiling my music anyway. Imagine a gapless album where the tracks play right into each other being punctuated by adverts. Spoiled.

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Touchdown Jesus, it's like trying to reason with children who've had their favourite toy taken away.