RIAA Sues Dead Woman

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
It seems they think they have the wrong woman! I hope someone will stop the RIAA. Link

Saturday, February 05, 2005
RIAA sues 83 year old dead woman!
But the lawsuit was filed more than a month after the 83-year-old woman died in December, and her daughter says Walton hated computers, anyway.

A group of record companies named Walton as the sole defendant in a federal lawsuit, claiming she made more than 700 songs available for free on the Internet. Walton's daughter, Robin Chianumba, lived with her mother for the last 17 years and said her mother objected to having a computer in the house. "My mother wouldn't know how to turn on a computer," Chianumba said.

She said she faxed a copy of her mother's death certificate to record company officials several days before the lawsuit was filed, in response to a letter from the company regarding the upcoming legal filing. "I am pretty sure she is not going to leave Greenwood Memorial Park (where she is buried) to attend the hearing," Chianumba said.

A Recording Industry Association of America spokesman said Thursday that Walton was likely not the smittenedkitten it's searching for. "Our evidence gathering and our subsequent legal actions all were initiated weeks and even months ago," said RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy. "We will now, of course, obviously dismiss this case."

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What's sad to me is how few of us who get music online *legally* and don't use gnutella type services on principle (or did for a brief time, and stopped for reasons of principle) support these lawsuits.... There are people who oppose them and believe for whatever reason that they're entitled to free copies of copyrighted music, and there are people who support legal online endeavors but oppose these lawsuits as heavy-handed, but outside of the RIAA, who is actually a fan of these tactics??? :mad:

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I think its a bad idea to sue blindly. It doesnt matter to the RIAA if the person they are suing is the person who did the crime. And to be falsely accused of something is very expensive. You have to hire an attny at a great cost to you and your family.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
"Our evidence gathering and our subsequent legal actions all were initiated weeks and even months ago," said RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy. "We will now, of course, obviously dismiss this case."
Duh! Can't imagine why they wouldn't have done a more thorough investigation prior to filing the lawsuit. Thought there were investigations an serving of papers as part of the process. :eek:

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
2jaded2care said:
Someone illegally downloads music... next thing you know, someone is dead. :eek:

Just goes to show... ;)
*looks over shoulder* that would be so flippin awesome if they could actually do that