Ricoh Aficio MP C2800 PS in CANADA, Need help printing from MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shliach, Dec 13, 2010.

1. shliach macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am really looking for some help here with my office's multifunction machine.

We are in Canada and we have a Ricoh Aficio MP C2800 PS.

Ricoh tells me that in order to have it connect to my iMac to print it requires a postscript driver on an SD card and I will have to pay $840 + TAX!!

I cannot afford this so I am turning to the great community here for some help.

There was 1 solution written for a ricoh 2500 but it didnt work for me.

Thanks all!

2. patchouli macrumors member

I came across this.. looks like Ricohs have had a longstanding issue with Macs! Worth a try? Let me/us know how you make out, I also have an Aficio at work (and my Mac is at home, but at some point they may be together).

(If it's a no-no to post this link, the Mods can remove it as I have pasted the gist of what was said.)

http://forums.macworld.com/index.php?/topic/61165-non-postscript-ricoh-printer-wont-print/

3. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

I had this problem at a former workplace as well.
    Ended up configuring the printer through the cups interface (localhost:631) and installing the
    the ppd files. Can't remember the details, but I can look it up when I'm at my MBP again.

4. shliach thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW, that worked wonders! thanks.

the only other question is, can i take advantage of all the features on the machine? or am i limited to black and white printing?

5. patchouli macrumors member

That would be great if you could look it up and let us know how you worked around the Ricoh issue so it's all here in one place.

That's great, glad to hear it! No idea if you'll be able to take advantage of all the features.. try them out and let us know if they work!

6. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Looking at it right now. The old config is gone. What I can remember is that I either downloaded the ppd files from ricoh or used the gutenprint ppd's.
    Then I http://localhost:631 in the browser to access the cups interface. There you can specify the name of the printserver, printername and ppd file.
    (Can't remember why I didn't use the System Preferences->Printer dialogue)

Hope this helps.

Attached Files: