Riddle me this (Black MacBook)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yano729, Jan 29, 2013.

1. yano729 macrumors member

So with the leaks of the 5th generation iPad having the same black aluminum housing as the iPad mini. Why can't they design Black MacBook again? Seems like they have either solved the smudge from the oil in your finger problem or just don't care about that anymore.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no technical reason why apple chooses not to offer a black MBP. Perhaps in the near future they will. The blackbook was very popular when they released that so maybe.

3. Ploki macrumors 68000

There is actually, durability. I've seen an black alu prototype unibody somewhere.
    I don't know why there was no black polycarbonate unibody though...

4. yano729 thread starter macrumors member

Yea idk, I have and still use everyday my black c2d macbook and was just thinking to myself last night that it really is one of the best looking computers ever. I know people say who cares what the comp looks like, but I am really into the design aspect of things. It extremely slick and nothing can compare to it. I really dislike the shiny aluminum (or whatever it is) that are used on the current MacBooks.

5. Ploki macrumors 68000

Me too. I'd kill for a black ALU rMBP. I was actually considering to wait because of that as well. :)

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Disassemble yours and get it ano'ed or powdercoated?

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It seems like on the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini that the anodized layer is pretty thin, so it's really easy to scratch and show the silver aluminum underneath.

I think that for a notebook they would need to make that a bit thicker, and maybe round some of the sharp edges a bit so that there aren't weak points in the coating.

I agree that it would look awesome.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagree, the technology exists now to paint/coat a aluminum laptop. I mean if there wasn't we'd not see any aluminum being able to retain paint, i.e., cars. Is it feasible for them to use, is another question but colorware that specializes in this seems to have the technology down pat so I'd say durability may be a non-issue.

9. Ploki macrumors 68000

If you coat it with acryl yeah... But Macbooks are anodized not coated. See iPhone5, it's crap.

Hah. No. :) Too much hassle and money, besides, the whole glued in battery is another thing I don't want to fiddle with.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There are loads of black notebooks from Sony or Asus.
    I think Apple just doesn't like to complicate their line and introduce many options. A dark alu coating like the iphone 5 has wouldn't be difficult but they prefer the uniform look. Keep it recognizable and also black or dark is a bit what other manufacturers have used so often while the light plain aluminium almost exclusively appears with Apple stuff. Dell, Asus, Sony, Samsung whenever they used alu they almost always painted it or somehow made it darker in color.
    I don't see that to change. I doubt you will see an option for a black or darker notebook.

You can always take one apart and put some color on the unibody parts. Shouldn't be that difficult. Custom will be your only choice as I suspect if you need OSX. Otherwise there are loads of options if you are okay with Linux or Windows.

11. yano729 thread starter macrumors member

Yea but apple had a black macbook in its product line for years and then it suddenly disappeared. I think a black retina macbook with maxed out specs would be a home run personally.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One would hope if they ever went the route of a black MBP, they would use what ever technology that is available to ensure the durability of it :)

14. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I would love this, but part of the allure of the original black MacBook was that it was such a stark contrast to the previous gen white iBook.

While I'm sure it would still sell really well, going from silver to black just wouldn't be as big of a jump as white to black was.

15. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I dunno, durability aside, I don't know if I like painted Aluminum. That's why I got the white iPhone 5, not because of the white, but because the aluminum is bare.

Just my subjective opinion anyway!

16. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

They also had a white one. They had ugly milky stuff.
    Look at it now it is almost all aluminium uncolored. The black macbook didn't stay all that long and it was never mainstream.

17. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure if they came out with a "slate" or black MacBook, we'd all be complaining how it scratches and shows it natural aluminum color. I think it would be the coolest thing on earth, but I bet they'd scratch really easy.

18. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Actually, most silver aluminum you see in consumer products (Macbooks and iPhones included) is anodized with a silver coating.

Bare aluminum will oxidize when exposed to air.

There are a couple of places on my Macbook where the coating has chipped off along the edge. Over time those little spots turned black due to the oxidation.

19. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

It would be interesting to see if they ever moved away from all aluminum. Remember back in the old days when Apple was synonymous with white polycarbonate. That lasted a long time but not forever. I assume eventually they'll want to make another material change.

Not complaining though. I like the aluminum (although it does get a little repetitive being on ALL their computers).

Who knows. According to the Macrumors front page they're hiring people working with plastic so maybe we'll see a plastic macbook come back (Only ok if they make it much lighter).

20. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Well, yes.. it's also been machined and shaped, inlaid with logos, etc. But you know what I mean! haha. I prefer the silver look that is kept close to the look of aluminum

I actually think Apple products looked much better in the early half of the 2000's. It's all subjective of course, but that's what I think. Polycarbonate, lots of colors, and some truly fantastic designs. Like, for example, the G4 iMac or the G3 PowerMac, both GORGEOUS machines. I also GREATLY prefer the older versions of OSX. Now, it seems, OSX and the machines it runs are on very sterile, very plain, very industrial. I really liked the way the stuff used to look.

I like the aluminum too though, certainly beats cheap plastic (i.e. not Apples thicker and sturdier polycarbonate) full of stickers, bloatware, 'Intel Inside' badges and etc.!

They still use the poly on some devices. Their Wi-Fi routers for example. My Time Capsule is built just like the White MacBook's, white poly with a gray rubber bottom. I kind of like it! (I think it would look better with a white Apple logo instead of the reflective foil logo it has).

21. snaky69 macrumors 603

Just so you know, bare aluminum does oxidise, but the color of that oxide is not black. Oxidized aluminum will become dull or "cloudy".

The black specks you see are a chemical reaction of the bare aluminum with your skin's oil and sweat, and is referred to as pitting. A friend of mine uses his computer as much as I do and his palmrest are quite pitted, while mine show very little wear.

22. Stetrain, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yeah it depends, an aluminum surface that's left alone will just oxidize as dull. Polishing raw aluminum can result in black residue. Also a google image search for Aluminum Oxide will show various forms where it's black in color.