Ridiculous.. AppleCare + in Florida

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sddabrow, Oct 15, 2011.

1. sddabrow macrumors 6502

I have been on the phone with an apple representative trying to add AppleCare+ to my new Sprint iPhone4S.

I didn't pre order AppleCare+ since I missed the opportunity.

The guy is now saying "We cannot sell you AppleCare+ because you live in Florida. There is a law based around the amount of senior citizens that refuses us to take orders over the phone."

HOW RIDICULOUS IS THAT?! So I can't buy it in the store, can't buy it online, and can't buy it over the phone.

Guess they don't want my $99.

2. Deamos macrumors member

Something about this sounds false. I live in FL and I've never heard of this crap.

3. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

square trade is pretty much identical....if you can get it to work

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Not true...Squaretrade and Applecare+ actually have several differences, so do some research before you decide on one.

5. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i know but they come out to be about the same price....and like i said IF OP CAN'T get the AC+ then look into ST, it's a good deal.

6. krb953 macrumors newbie

Same situation as OP. I also live in Florida. Preordered iPhone 4s through AT&T online, but wasn't offered AppleCare+. Called the number on the Apple website this morning. Waited 45 minutes to talk to a rep. Gave him all the information, only to be told when he saw that I was in Florida, that he couldn't sell me the product over the phone. There's some law in Florida that prohibits it. He said that I could purchase it through an Apple Store, and offered to set up an appointment. I did ask for, and received a case number, so that I'd have evidence of the conversation when I spoke with anApple Store Genius.

I can't understand why Apple makes this so hard to purchase? Seems like if I could have purchased it by phone this morning (had I lived anywhere else but Florida), I should have been able to get it online just as easily.

7. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

Your problem is with your state's laws, not with Apple.

8. krb953 macrumors newbie

Wouldn't be a problem either if Apple allowed everyone to purchase it online, as they do with every other AppleCare product! If I can buy it over the phone, then why not online?

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

But they could be defrauded that way.

Your states inept laws do not necessitate bad business. Talk to someone in government.

10. Steve J0bs, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011

Steve J0bs macrumors regular

I've been dealing with the same thing! has anyone solved this yet? i try to order over the phone and they deny me because i am in FL, i go to the store and they can't sell it to me because apple hasn't said how to, and you can not purchase it online after you received your phone!! ugh

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

From another forum. Not my solution

"reply to OvrQualified
    Finally, a solution!

I went to the Florida Mall store, and the Genius Admin knew what to do...so here's the procedure to get it taken care of:

0) This needs to be done between 10am and 6pm Eastern time
    1) Ask an associate to get the Genius Admin or store manager to call AppleCare
    2) That person should ask for an AppleCare Agreement Admin
    3) They should supply the Agreement Admin with the customer's information and the serial number of the iPhone, including purchase date (bring your receipt)
    4) The Admin will ask to speak with you to verify everything and charge your card
    5) There is no step 5, you're all set!"

12. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

You can skip steps 1-3 with the phone number 800-275-2273.

13. midnightfalcon macrumors member

I guess you missed the OP

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I don't know what the law is but I suspect there is a law in Florida prohibiting the sale of add ons or warranties over the phone.

As the first apple person told the op a bit crudely it likely came from scammers targeting the large senior citizen population there.

Apple seems to be aware of it and trying to help people out.

15. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

The number I gave is the special number for this program.

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

17. melman101 macrumors 68030

Again. You did not read the OP. He called that number. They won't sell it to him.

18. Dnix macrumors 6502

I live in FL and had to deal with this junk. Yes, apparently there's a law in FL that businesses aren't allowed to sell stuff over the phone (with a credit card I think?).

Only problem for was, I already HAD the Applecare kit. I just needed to activate it over the phone. The guy I spoke with spent an hour trying to figure out how to "sell" it to me by the deadline (that day). :rolleyes:

19. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

What are you talking about? I read the OP and this number is the number for FL residence to get AppleCare+.

20. Will69 macrumors regular

This thread is confusing the hell out of me.

I purchased the Verizon 4s in dadeland mall's apple store. I got apple care for 99$.

Is this plus or not plus ?

Did they sell it to me bc I was in store?

21. melman101 macrumors 68030

Ok my bad. Hope you are right. I'm in NY.

22. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

From the Genius bar admin.

Attached Files:

23. sddabrow thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, didn't realize this was still being discussed from my original post.

If any one cares, I gave up. I went to sprint and a guy took my number and said Sprint will be calling me to ask if I want Applecare+ added. Never got a call. Called Apple local store asking if I should drive up to Orlando and they take the order over the phone and they said "No, we can't do that either".

Bought an Otterbox Commuter and said screw the $99 Applecare+. I'll pay the $200 if i drop it.

Glad to see they finally demised a solution, though. Best of luck to all in Florida!

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

We dont pay state income tax. Makes up for some of this foolishness...

25. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I'm so glad I got the thinnest smart phone on the market! Now what is a sufficient amount of plastic to cover it with...